Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/12 - Reds vs Pirates -- Sweep Time! No Bruce/Rolen

Re: 9/12 - Reds vs Pirates -- Sweep Time! No Bruce/Rolen

Surprised to see no chat of Cueto being pushed past 120 pitches. Shades of Dusty's time with the Cubs... Though with the way the pen has pitched, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. And Johnny still has his stuff.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cueto through 7 shutout innings: 124 pitches, 78 strikes. He struck out 7, walked two, and gave up three hits and no runs. Nice outing.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Cueto mans up and gets it done....

124 pitches for Cueto through 7.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Surprised to see no chat of Cueto being pushed past 120 pitches. Shades of Dusty's time with the Cubs... Though with the way the pen has pitched, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. And Johnny still has his stuff.
    Hopefully, they can clinch sooner rather than later and skip Cueto once or twice the rest of the year...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    There are no hard and fast rules. You do what you feel gives you the best chance of scoring the most runs.

It doesn't matter how many outs there are. Each situation is different based on the pitcher, batter, lineup, outs, score, innings remaining, etc.
    No one is arguing that you do "what gives you the best chance of scoring the most runs".

But if you are going to gamble going to third on a flyball, you are likely to increase you chances of scoring more runs when you do so with only one out, where you can score on a GB/FB etc.

It would be nice to get the bats out now and build a lead. I'd like to win a game straight up in this series.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Surprised to see no chat of Cueto being pushed past 120 pitches. Shades of Dusty's time with the Cubs... Though with the way the pen has pitched, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Because he went over 120 once?

Of course, there should also be wiggle room with the logic of doing it once in a while and doing it a lot.

Personally I don't think it changes much of anything. If a player is conditioned and able to do it, I see nothing wrong with 120 pitches. But I especially think it's OK to stretch someone out once in a while.

Pitch counts = irrational science.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    No one is arguing that you do "what gives you the best chance of scoring the most runs".

But if you are going to gamble going to third on a flyball, you are likely to increase you chances of scoring more runs when you do so with only one out, where you can score on a GB/FB etc.
    I agree with that. I just was taking issue with the comment "you don't make the first out or third out" as if it's a law.

As a rule of thumb, that philosophy is a good one. But it doesn't mean there are other situations that do and don't apply to when you take a base (or don't).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    This team has been successful because of that style, not in spite of it. You want your cake and eat it too. You want them to take extra bases when it's easy, or when they're successful but without all the risk that comes with it. I got news: there are rarely any situations where you can take an extra base easily without risk of being thrown out.

What you're asking is to take away the fundamental make-up of this club. I don't know why you'd want to do that. Clearly it doesn't always work, but it's winning them more games than not especially contributing to the dominant record against the bad teams.
    Obviously there will be some outs on the bases but runner on second with one out and .300 hitter coming up isn't the time to run unless its a sure thing.

As for the reason for the Red's success, they have pretty much been at or near the top in OBP, Slugging and OPS all year. None of those are enhanced by taking extra bases, but making outs on the bases makes those stats less productive. I'd say having stats like those are the very reason that you don't want to be giving away outs or baserunners. Take the extra bases, but pick the spots better.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Bengals force a 3 and out!
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    Pats must have taken Brady out....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    They're going to need more than one of those...

It's time for Stubbs to go BOOM! One man on, with two out...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Obviously there will be some outs on the bases but runner on second with one out and .300 hitter coming up isn't the time to run unless its a sure thing.

As for the reason for the Red's success, they have pretty much been at or near the top in OBP, Slugging and OPS all year. None of those are enhanced by taking extra bases, but making outs on the bases makes those stats less productive. I'd say having stats like those are the very reason that you don't want to be giving away outs or baserunners. Take the extra bases, but pick the spots better.
    Unless you're seeing a different team than I, the Reds haven't been doing much of anything with the bats lately. Heck, they're having a hard time scoring against Morton (9 ERA) and Burres (6 ERA).

Time to try and manufacture runs. Even when the Reds were hitting, it was the aggressive running that helped aid those large innings that won games for them.

Looks like Miguel Cairo has landed back on planet reality lately.

If Cueto is pitched like Prior was in Sept 2003, that would be worrisome. Prior had 5 of 6 games with 124 or more pitches, and 4 with 129 pitches or more. Shades is a good word, but it is a very lite shading.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?