Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: 9-15 D'Backs@Reds: Enter Bloomquist

Re: 9-15 D'Backs@Reds: Enter Bloomquist

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    There's no law saying he can't be the closer for now and still move into a starting role next year.

David Price did it. So did Adam Wainwright.
    Remember Danny Graves?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Remember Danny Graves?
    That's a pretty poor analogy my friend... Graves was a reliever for YEARS before being moved into the starting rotation. And that was an ignorant experiment to begin with, the guy never had the stuff to be a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    That's a pretty poor analogy my friend... Graves was a reliever for YEARS before being moved into the starting rotation. And that was an ignorant experiment to begin with, the guy never had the stuff to be a starter.
    Very true, but my point is that once he becomes lights out as a closer, Dusty will keep him there and he'll never start, but I hope I'm wrong.

It's a moot point anyway, Codero will be the closer for the rest of the season, the playoffs, and beyond. And as long as we win, I can live with that, I just can't watch.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Very true, but my point is that once he becomes lights out as a closer, Dusty will keep him there and he'll never start, but I hope I'm wrong.
    Dusty may well be able to keep Cordero as closer for the rest of the season come hell or high water.

But Chapman's ultimate destiny is an organization-wide decision. Jocketty and Cast have put way too much down on this kid to cede decisions about his future to the manager. I sincerely doubt anything that occurs between now and the end of the season will alter their plan to start Chapman next season.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Dusty may well be able to keep Cordero as closer for the rest of the season come hell or high water.

But Chapman's ultimate destiny is an organization-wide decision. Jocketty and Cast have put way too much down on this kid to cede decisions about his future to the manager. I sincerely doubt anything that occurs between now and the end of the season will alter their plan to start Chapman next season.
    Well, I hope you're right--that is, all except the Codero part.

I think the thing that gives me pause is that no one--Price, Walt, anyone fails to see the falacy of leaving Codero in the closer spot. Or maybe they're just keeping quiet out of loyalty. Drives me nuts.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    Just call him 'FullPack' as in, he makes me smoke a full pack when he comes in the game (courtesy of Earl Weaver).
    Don Stanhouse...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    MLB Network just gave Jay Bruce the Capital One Play of the Day!
    Yet ESPN had it as the 9th best play of the day.Maybe they didn't know Bruce had just robbed Arizona of the game tying HR with 2 two outs in the 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Yet ESPN had it as the 9th best play of the day.Maybe they didn't know Bruce had just robbed Arizona of the game tying HR with 2 two outs in the 9th.
    The circumstances made it an incredibly big play, though I will say that in degree of difficulty, it wasn't the most jaw-dropping catch I've ever seen. I thought Austin Jackson's catch was much more impressive.

Again, take away the circumstances, and it's a good play that gets notice, but I don't think we'd be haggling over where on the list of plays of the day it falls.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I think Jay made it look easier then it was.Maybe is wasn't a great display of athleticism and possibly lacked the flare some other great catches have but it was an amazingly great catch.I think the degree of difficulty was very high.Bruce just played it perfectly.

Phillips had a nice play tonight that ESPN had somewhere around the 5th top play.It did look cool(it was a nice play but not great)but most 2B make that play and it was by no means as good a play as Bruce's.It's all about style sometimes.

If I were Dusty Baker I'd write Jay Bruce's name in the lineup everyday.

Just some thoughts viz the closing posts on last night's thread:

The clubs not going to move Cordero out of the closer role, although I do hope they shuffle some others in from time to time. Baker has started getting guys up when Coco gets into trouble and he has pulled him a couple of times in recent weeks. This club has succeeded with what they've been doing all season and I'm fine not messing with the club's karma from here on out.

That said, they really need to talk to The Christ Hospital to have their Heart & Vascular Center signed on as the sponsor of all Cordero save opportunities - and have medical staff ready to spring into action throughout all of Redsland.

Jay Bruce, he clearly should get a Gold Glove this year. And while the catch looked almost routine, I was stunned to see how far he ran to get to that ball. And the sheer joy in his face having caught that. It was the same smile he had the other night rounding second on both of his homers. And I doubt very seriously that Jay's thoughts were "screw you, Coco" - that's just not in this club's lexicon. Very likely it was "I've got your back". That's the difference in this club (and, yes, I understand that comment and some others were made in the frustration of having another game almost slip away).

This is so much fun, both watching us win ("I just expect them to win," as some other team's player said) and it's satisfying to watch this year's version of the Cardinals sink. In previous years, given my wife's Missouri roots, I've never "hated" the St. Louis team, but this year, with all of their whining and the clear disrespect they've shown the Reds, the can't sink low enough. But, it's not about them, it's about the blast of this winning season.

Cabrera! I love doubles; it's such an underrated hit in my book. And to score all three times. Nice job by Jonny Gomes tonight too. And it looks like Stubbs is getting some of his stroke back.

It's just very sweet.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I'm going out on the limb and will predict that if Cordero is the closer in the playoffs we will see Lidge or Kim like meltdown. Dusty has got to change closers. He's just not getting it done. And it ain't luck either. He's getting hit hard so he's not fooling anyone. Honestly I would almost rather see Harang come in to close right now than Cordero. It's that bad,IMO.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    All in one game. And thanks for posting the Gomes catch. I couldn't find it. I really liked how Jonny got himself back there in time to turn himself to make the catch.

How far do folks think Jay Bruce ranged to make that catch? It was a long, long way.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If you can't find a play, but you know what game it was in, find the game on the MLB.com scoreboard, then go into "box", then hit the "video" tab. It'll show highlights from that game. So for last night's Gomes catch:

Go here (into the scoreboard), and go to wednesday, the 15th, if it's not there

Then go here- The box score

Then here- Video

Then here!- The play.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?