Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 9/16- Reds vs. Diamondbacks, "Thursday Matinee, Phillips out"

Re: 9/16- Reds vs. Diamondbacks, "Thursday Matinee, Phillips out"

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Are we allowed to be upset with the offense yet?
    You mean the offense that is at the top of the league in most major categories?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    You mean the offense that is at the top of the league in most major categories?
    No, I mean the offense that got dominated by two putrid pitching staffs on last place teams, back to back. They can't do much of anything right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

No, I mean the offense that got dominated by two putrid pitching staffs on last place teams, back to back. They can't do much of anything right now.
    Wait, isn't that the same club? Or did they turn into a different team on this homestand?

Listen, it's obvious they are struggling right now. But they have some key guys banged up or in a slump (which happens from time to time in a 162-game season). They know they are in the playoffs, it's important to get some of these guys healthy. They will be fine. Keep in mind they gained a couple games in the standings on this homestand...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Always favor the larger sample size over the smaller.

Even teams that lead the league in scoring runs doesn't score runs all the time. Becuase half of scoring runs is as much randomness or distribution of hits as anything else. We outhit the Diamonfbacks today, they just distrubuted their hits better.

Quote Originally Posted by reds freak View Post
    wait, isn't that the same club? Or did they turn into a different team on this homestand?

Listen, it's obvious they are struggling right now. But they have some key guys banged up or in a slump (which happens from time to time in a 162-game season). They know they are in the playoffs, it's important to get some of these guys healthy. They will be fine. Keep in mind they gained a couple games in the standings on this homestand...
    Thank

Quote Originally Posted by puffypig View Post
    always favor the larger sample size over the smaller.

Even teams that lead the league in scoring runs doesn't score runs all the time. Becuase half of scoring runs is as much randomness or distribution of hits as anything else. We outhit the diamonfbacks today, they just distrubuted their hits better.
    You.

Maloney and Burton were very impressive the last two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Wait, isn't that the same club? Or did they turn into a different team on this homestand?

This always happens. In other (the last 10) years it was the Reds beating the division leaders. Nothing to lose. The Reds are 6-9 in September and batting about .250. With the series coming up, they could tank further or get hot. Gomes has wakened up his bat and Stubbs is seeing the ball well. Once we get Phillips back to close to 100% and Votto our of his funk, we'll be OK. The pitching has been adequate. I'm still confident they're going to surprise a lot of folks in the playoffs.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

4-3 on the current 10 game stretch. Meanwhile, our closest competitor is 1-5 going into tonight's game. Give folks a few wins and they turn into Ohio State football fans, expecting every win to be a blow out and a loss to be their fault.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I was at the game today, and some of the comments on here I have to question. When did Votto cost the Reds two runs? When he led off the inning with a double, Bruce's liner to right was only a foot or so away from the 1st baseman. He had to hesitate to make sure it wasn't caught. Did a TV replay show something more than what I saw? And when was the 2nd run?

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I was at the game today, and some of the comments on here I have to question. When did Votto cost the Reds two runs? When he led off the inning with a double, Bruce's liner to right was only a foot or so away from the 1st baseman. He had to hesitate to make sure it wasn't caught. Did a TV replay show something more than what I saw? And when was the 2nd run?
    I was there too and you've described it as it actually happened. Unfortunate.

We hit some balls well, but three (or so) of the four hardest hit balls went to the wall (or nearly so) and were caught. The hardest hit ball was hit by Jay Bruce and I'm surprised their first baseman still has a hand. And, of course, Gomes was doubled up, one of those types of plays little league players cry about because the didn't do anything wrong and yet a bad outcome came about.

We're going to lose some like this. It was a disappointing game, particular being in attendance, but it happens. And, as others have noted, even the worst teams at times still score more runs and win and their pitchers will shut someone down. Kudos.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Don't really know where to post this but here goes.

I'm pretty sure the Reds will win the Central Division.

I know that once the playoffs start anything can happen.

I can understand that some fans are worried heading down the stretch.

I can't understand the need of some of the most optimistic fans to consistently chastise and put down those Reds fans among us who are truly concerned with the quality of baseball the Reds have played for the last month or so.

Let's all try to enjoy this ride together, we are all Reds Fans here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Don't really know where to post this but here goes.

I'm pretty sure the Reds will win the Central Division.

I know that once the playoffs start anything can happen.

I can understand that some fans are worried heading down the stretch.

I can't understand the need of some of the most optimistic fans to consistently chastise and put down those Reds fans among us who are truly concerned with the quality of baseball the Reds have played for the last month or so.

Let's all try to enjoy this ride together, we are all Reds Fans here.
    Last month or so? Try a couple of weeks stretch, you know the one where most of the team has had one ailment or another. It isn't optimism vs. pessimism, it is really chronic complaining no matter what the state of the team is that gets to me.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Last month or so? Try a couple of weeks stretch, you know the one where most of the team has had one ailment or another. It isn't optimism vs. pessimism, it is really chronic complaining no matter what the state of the team is that gets to me.
    Reds
    Code:
     Stretch	 			R  	PG  	Avg  	 	OR  	PG  	ERA  	W-L
    Homestand, April 5 to 11 		22	3.7	0.23		27	4.5	4.33	3-4
    Road Trip, April 12 to 18 		31	4.4	0.223		42	6	6.06	8-5
    Homestand, April 20 to 25 		34	5.7	0.272		47	7.8	7.67	11-8
    Road Trip, April 27 to May 2 		22	3.7	0.233		22	3.7	3.63	13-12
    Homestand, May 3 to 9 			38	6.3	0.297		30	5	4.58	16-15
    Road Trip, May 10 to 12 		16	5.3	0.302		1	0.3	0.33	19-15
    Homestand, May 14 to 18 		25	5	0.298		16	3.2	3.2	23-16
    Road Trip, May 19 to 23 		29	5.8	0.294		27	5.4	5.02	25-19
    Homestand, May 24 to 30 		47	6.7	0.343		19	2.7	2.53	30-21
    Road Trip, May 31 to June 6 		26	4.3	0.289		33	5.5	5.19	33-24
    Homestand, June 7 to 17 		46	4.6	0.285		55	5.5	5.38	37-30
    Road Trip, June 18 to 23 		14	2.3	0.218		13	2.2	2.25	40-33
    Homestand, June 25 to 30 		36	6	0.29		27	4.5	4.42	44-35
    Road Trip, July 1 to 11 		51	4.6	0.252		33	3	2.67	49-41
    Homestand, July 16 to 22 		32	4.6	0.251		28	4	4	53-44
    Road Trip, July 23 to 28 		37	6.2	0.304		17	2.8	2.94	57-46
    Homestand, July 30 to August 1 		11	3.7	0.233		9	3	2.25	59-47
    Road Trip, August 2 to 8 		37	6.2	0.29		18	3	1.7	64-48
    Homestand, August 9 to 15 		22	3.7	0.229		27	4.5	4	67-51
    Road Trip, August 17 to 25 		58	6.4	0.287		63	7	7	73-54
    Homestand, August 27 to September 1 	35	5.8	0.303		18	3	2.62	78-55
    Road Trip, September 3 to 9 		25	3.6	0.259		37	5.3	5.21	79-61
    Homestand, September 10 to 16 		26	3.7	0.252		23	3.3	3.09	83-64
    Last edited by westofyou; 09-17-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Turn Off Ads?