Jonny Gomes lf
    Drew Stubbs cf
    Chris Heisey rf
    Ryan Hanigan c
    Homer Bailey p
    Hope isn't a strategy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 9/20 Reds@Brewers

At least Phillips can continue to build on his 8-for-63 September.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    At least Phillips can continue to build on his 8-for-63 September.
    Pennant Race, he ain't sitting for a rookie is probably the crutch of it (especially against a guy he has this line against .412/.412 /.647)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pennant Race, he ain't sitting for a rookie is probably the crutch of it (especially against a guy he has this line against .412/.412 /.647)
    True. It's kind of counterintuitive though to play a guy who is sucking the wind out of the leadoff spot in a pennant race. He's playing because they're in a pennant race, but right now that's the best reason not to play him. I truly believe he's not healthy, and if he's not able to produce, give him rest until he can. He may have a great line against Capuano, but he's not hitting anyone right now, which I think supersedes his previous work.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Phillips is at least starting to hit some line drives.

Players have always said that the only way to getout of a slump is to hit yourself out, and sititng him vs. a decent matchup isn't probbaly the way to go. Sit him vs. Gallardo. Sititng him yesterday vs. Myers would have made more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Phillips is at least starting to hit some line drives.

Players have always said that the only way to getout of a slump is to hit yourself out, and sititng him vs. a decent matchup isn't probbaly the way to go. Sit him vs. Gallardo. Sititng him yesterday vs. Myers would have made more sense.
    If you think this is just a slump, I would be more inclined to agree... although even slumps sometimes are better to have a day or two to sit and clear your mind. But I don't think this is a slump. He hasn't looked right since getting hit.

Who's pitching tomorrow? Perhaps it'll be better to sit Phillips after this game?

Who's pitching tomorrow?
    Dave Bush (vs. Volquez)

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If you think this is just a slump, I would be more inclined to agree... although even slumps sometimes are better to have a day or two to sit and clear your mind. But I don't think this is a slump. He hasn't looked right since getting hit.
    He may be hurt it certainly is possible but IMO it is a slump and the cause is his approach, it's like he got hurt and became who he used to be out of spite or something.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Funny stuff. The Reds have a renewed fan as of late that being my 77 yr old Grandmother. She probably hasn't watched a half dozen games since 1990, she's proudly a fairweather fan. Even in '90 she probably only watched/listened to games because my grandfather (and myself of course, I lived with them) did. Anyway she has been following lately (since like early August or so) and she gripes like a newbie when they stink up the joint. She told me the other day that Willie Bloomquist is better than Joey Votto, "just look at his avg." she says. I think Bloomquist had like 6 PA's at that point. So I'm trying to explain to her in extreme lamens terms how that isn't so and of course I couldn't she is not very savvy with numbers. I should also mention that she is in love with Drew Stubbs....and Joey Votto and Jay Bruce and Nick Masset, Janish & probably a few others, she likes 'em tall, dark and handsome. But says Homer (ironically my now deceased grandfathers name) looks like a sick zombie with those dark circles under his eyes. Thinks he has some sort of incureable disease. So I guess the name isn't enough to cause her to appreciate the guy a little bit.

At any rate we were talking earlier and she tells me a bit ago that she's got to go she doesn't want to miss "Dugout Dope" (Reds Live). And of course I just got a kick out of it she is a very young and wiley 77 (more like 27) and has her own language sorta being from southern ohiA (Ironton).

Whenever she busts a new word out on me it gets me going but this one really was more than funny, it was cool, here me and grandma of all people are talking Reds baseball, who'd have thunk it. Winning baseball is more than just winning baseball isn't it!

I know this is long and in a game thread but I had to throw it in here, sorry guys.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Just thought I'd mention since you're not underway yet, I'm watching Red Sox-Orioles, Dice-K and Matusz took a combined 60 pitches just to get through the 1st inning, the announcers were actually keeping track of the number of foul balls, somewhere in the 20's when I stopped paying attention.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Funny stuff. The Reds have a renewed fan as of late that being my 77 yr old Grandmother. She probably hasn't watched a half dozen games since 1990, she's proudly a fairweather fan. Even in '90 she probably only watched/listened to games because my grandfather (and myself of course, I lived with them) did. Anyway she has been following lately (since like early August or so) and she gripes like a newbie when they stink up the joint. She told me the other day that Willie Bloomquist is better than Joey Votto, "just look at his avg." she says. I think Bloomquist had like 6 PA's at that point. So I'm trying to explain to her in extreme lamens terms how that isn't so and of course I couldn't she is not very savvy with numbers. I should also mention that she is in love with Drew Stubbs....and Joey Votto and Jay Bruce and Nick Masset, Janish & probably a few others, she likes 'em tall, dark and handsome. But says Homer (ironically my now deceased grandfathers name) looks like a sick zombie with those dark circles under his eyes. Thinks he has some sort of incureable disease. So I guess the name isn't enough to cause her to appreciate the guy a little bit.

At any rate we were talking earlier and she tells me a bit ago that she's got to go she doesn't want to miss "Dugout Dope" (Reds Live). And of course I just got a kick out of it she is a very young and wiley 77 (more like 27) and has her own language sorta being from southern ohiA (Ironton).

Whenever she busts a new word out on me it gets me going but this one really was more than funny, it was cool, here me and grandma of all people are talking Reds baseball, who'd have thunk it. Winning baseball is more than just winning baseball isn't it!

I know this is long and in a game thread but I had to throw it in here, sorry guys.
    I've been told zombies are good luck today.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

C'mon, Homer!

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Capuano on the mound + Joe West's crew = how many balks do we see tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Capuano on the mound + Joe West's crew = how many balks do we see tonight?
    Joe West's crew this series? Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?