Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What is edgy language?

Re: What is edgy language?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    There's just not any redeeming value in it. At best, you can say it's not all that bad. But I would hope no one is hurting because they can't be profane.
    It's more of a personal freedom thing, ya know?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    In principal, I normally agree. However, this is a privately run site. It's like boss and GIK's internet house.

When you go to a person's house, do you curse up a storm if they don't care for it? I imagine you respect their wishes and the lifestyle they live while in their home.

I'm all for personal freedoms. And obviously I've vouched for it a bunch in discussions on this board. But I also recognize that it's their site and if they want it run a certain way, it's their prerogative even if I'm not crazy about it.

House rules, and that sort of thing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Personal freedoms and society need to find common ground, you are part of the world's existence, the world isn't necessarily a part of your existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    When you go to a person's house, do you curse up a storm if they don't care for it? I imagine you respect their wishes and the lifestyle they live while in their home.
    Agreed. I think in this case not cursing is the equivalent of wiping your shoes on the doormat before you enter someone's home. We all wish we didn't have to do it sometimes but imagine if after you've left the house the home owner's wife had to spend time cleaning the foot steps you tracked in? All because you thought not wiping your feet was a "personal freedom" or because you and the boys don't wipe your feet etc etc. In that same way, the moderator's shouldn't be using their time to edit your posts after you've done posting. A little respect goes a long way and it also helps ensure that you'll be invited back again to the house, I'm sure there are a lot of guests outside on the street who'd love to take your spot and that's why we all come over and play nice and use respect and I think at the end of the day the home owner reserves the right to lock his doors, but so far he's left them open and we all get to benefit. Beside how many home owner's do you know who will invite you in and give you your own forum to give feedback about how he runs his home? What are we all complaining about?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Another forum I frequent and moderate at uses PG-13 as its language standard. That site has a short list of profanities in its banned-word filter. (If you've watched enough PG-13 and above movies, you can probably guess which words you'd never hear in a PG-13.) As a moderator there, my rule of thumb for language is to allow anything that isn't on the banned-word list, as long as it's not a veiled profanity meant to circumvent the banned-word list.

Honestly, it'd be easier to moderate with a tighter standard than PG-13, like RedsZone has. Too many "edgy" words at the other place tend to be aimed at other members. That makes the other place less friendly at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    How did you respond?
    I didn't. I think he realized it, and hasn't done it around me since. He tries to be mature in this regard, but he is 18. If i remember correctly, I went through quite the cursing phase myself. Lasted until i was 32 i think. TV directors cuss a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This brings up an interesting issue with profanity. Adults curse around other adults, but not around kids, while kids curse around other kids but never adults.

I think your response was a much more rational and effective method than just banning kids from using bad language. You let him know that there is a time and place to use them, but they generally weaken whatever statement you are trying make. Kids, like everyone, will use profanity, trying to stop them is ineffective at least and hypocritical at worst.
    I almost never curse anymore. It's similar to puns being the lowest form of humor. If I need to beat you with words, I can do it without dropping an F-Bomb.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?