Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758596061 LastLast

Thread: NLDS Game 1: Cincinnati @ Philadelphia

Re: NLDS Game 1: Cincinnati @ Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    And not getting Halladay out. That could've ended the inning. In the end, though, giving up one run in the first was all the Phillies needed.
    Oh he got him out but our idiot LFer can't catch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I have never gotten out of the player/coaching mindset, which keeps me more positive than most. It's a hard game. The good thing is that everyone can enjoy it, or not enjoy it, how ever they like.
    I used to try to keep that "player mindset" while watching the Reds, but at some point I just decided that it wasn't worth it. It doesn't matter if I keep a positive attitude about the next game or not.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, just after tough losses I'm more apt to make comment out of emotion. Don't see a problem with it. I'll have my "game face" on by Friday.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    On a secondary note, how I react to losing, be it the Reds or the teams I coach has an impact on the way my son approaches the game. I guess that is a big reason that I think the way that I do. The only thing that matters is the next play, the next game.
    Haha, that's a good point. My son is only two so I've got some time before there are "teachable moments" with him.

All this game tells is is that we should all be thankful that we don't have to make a living hitting off of Halladay.

We already knew that anyway.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Haha, that's a good point. My son is only two so I've got some time before there are "teachable moments" with him.
    Enjoy the time. He will be a teenager before you can turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I didn't have the benefit of replay but from my vantage point it was a tough play. Throwing across your body with Valdez running. Walking Ruiz on 4 pitches was the killer.
    So now you're going to rub in the fact that you got to go to the game.....wait is that a good thing?

I rewatched it a couple times and IMO he had him fairly easy at first.

Valdez was like halfway down the line when he got to it.

He could have thrown it to first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Halladay threw one more ball than Volquez did. I think that tells the story.

Are you saying you don't have faith in Baker that if Volquez squeaks out of that inning he would have still brought in Wood? :

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    "Idiot LFer?" Really? You can't find a little more mature way to discuss Gomes?

That play was not an automatic out for anyone on the Reds' roster. Not many outfielders get that easily. Not saying others wouldn't/couldn't have caught it, but it was not an easy play.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Halladay out hit and no hit a legit playoff team.... We saw history. The sting will wear off and we'll be talking about this one for a long, long time.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Halladay out hit and no hit a legit playoff team.... We saw history. The sting will wear off and we'll be talking about this one for a long, long time.
    If they go on and lose this series, I don't think the sting will ever wear off this one. First playoff appearance in 15 years, and they lay the biggest egg you can possibly lay.

Screw history. Let someone else be the answer to a trivia question.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think Gomes' half dive made it look worse than it was. I don't think that it was an easily catchable ball for anyone.

What I do think was that Gomes was playing way too deep. Not sure if that is his call or the coaches but he plays so deep even against Halladay. Which didn't make sense to me. I guess they'd rather have him give up the single and not the big one. But Roy is another story.

Sinking liners are difficult for anyone though.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If they go on and lose this series, I don't think the sting will ever wear off this one. First playoff appearance in 15 years, and they lay the biggest egg you can possibly lay.

Screw history. Let someone else be the answer to a trivia question.
    EGG-zactly.

I admit I had limited expectations about this series, especially Game 1 against Halladay, but I would have never expected anything like this. The guy shut out the #1 offense in the NL. Just imagine if the Pirates were playing instead of us. 27 K's and a perfect game?

In all seriousness though, Phils lead 1-0. I like our chances against Oswalt, however, and really do expect a W. Unfortunately, we have to face Hamels (who has been lights out as of late) and than Halladay again (if there is an again).

Tough loss tonight but time to man up or shut up. It's the playoffs, no more Pirates and Cubs to play to make yourself feel better.

Turn Off Ads?