Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061

Thread: NLDS Game 1: Cincinnati @ Philadelphia

Re: NLDS Game 1: Cincinnati @ Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I find it hard to second guess Volquez when it was obviously defense that let him down. Cabrera has to make that play, and Gomes should have made his, or at least played it on a hop and saved the run. Who knows that would have happened if either Gomes or OCab had done their jobs. He could have blown up anyway or given the team 6 innings of 1 or 2 run baseball. Does he still walk Rollins if no run had scored? Kind of an incomplete performance, unless you think he should have completely shut down that offense, which is a bit too much to ask of anyone.
    I would bet a ton of money that Volquez would have imploded either way. I think it has been obvious that when Volquez doesn't have it, he doesn't have it. Walk Ruiz and fail to put away Valdez and Halladay and there isn't really an excuse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I would bet a ton of money that Volquez would have imploded either way. I think it has been obvious that when Volquez doesn't have it, he doesn't have it. Walk Ruiz and fail to put away Valdez and Halladay and there isn't really an excuse.
    Too bad we didn't get to find out and are instead reduced to imaginary guess-work.

Janish makes that play in his sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I haven't read all the posts from tonight but I find it interesting that while everyone is harping on Gomes and OC, there is not nearly as much second guessing of starting EV in game 1. Which, to me, is the most obvious place with potential liability.
    I didn't post anything when EV was announced the other day as the Game 1 starter, but definitely second guessed it. I understand the kid had a couple good starts in September, but still, overall, when you look at the fact this kid didn't return until the second half from some pretty heavy-duty surgery in TJ and didn't perform too well those first couple months back, I was shaking my head at Baker's decision.

And how can people say that our defense let us down in this game when the opposing pitcher NO-HIT's you, and was only one BB from throwing a perfect game? Get real!

And I'm just as highly skeptical of Gome's D in LF as everyone else, but there was no way that Heisey would have caught that ball on a fly. It was a hard hit sinking line drive that a vast majority would have had to play on a hop. Given, Gomes looked silly (and lost) the way he played it, when most would have held back and played it clean, but it was a hit either way.

And OCab should have went to first - but geez, does he get any credit, playing SS, for fielding a ball well over on the 2B side? It still would have been questionable whether he would have gotten the runner at 1B, and even the announcers stated such.

Again - NO HITTER, and only 1 Red got to 1B all night. Kudos to Halladay.

And also HUGE Kudos to our BP for their performance. I mean, they only allowed 1 hit (2 base runners) the remainder of the game after EV's meltdown 1 2/3 innings into the game. Simply awesome.

Put this game behind us, and go get'em Friday!
    Last edited by GAC; 10-07-2010 at 05:16 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Too bad we didn't get to find out and are instead reduced to imaginary guess-work.

Janish makes that play in his sleep.
    When Volquez is bad, he is typically very bad. Last night he sucked.

And I'm not sure about Janish.

I wonder what the correlation is between posters who were pro-Volquez starting and those who are looking to blame someone, anyone but Volquez for his performance.

There's plenty of blame to go around, and Volquez certainly earned his fair share as well.

I'm glad to see no Gomes on Friday.

Just gotta forget about this one and move on.

No freaking hit in the playoffs after a 15 year absence..... you have to laugh to keep from screaming.

I told someone at work yesterday that Volquez would either fail to get through the second inning or go deep with a chance to win. Like you guys said, he's either got it, or he doesn't...there is rarely an in between day with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I told someone at work yesterday that Volquez would either fail to get through the second inning or go deep with a chance to win. Like you guys said, he's either got it, or he doesn't...there is rarely an in between day with this guy.
    I told a newspaper reporter in the parking lot the same exact thing. He asked if I thought the Reds had a shot vs Halliday and I said that we'd know by the 2nd inning if Volquez will have it or not. If it gets printed I will post.

That game was over when EV gave up one run in the first as it turned out. The rest is noise.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    That game was over when EV gave up one run in the first as it turned out. The rest is noise.
    Maybe....or maybe Roy would have performed differently with only 1 run. Maybe Volquez blows up the next inning (and no I wasn't in favor of him starting edabbs) but if Janish is in there we at least get to find out.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Maybe....or maybe Roy would have performed differently with only 1 run. Maybe Volquez blows up the next inning (and no I wasn't in favor of him starting edabbs) but if Janish is in there we at least get to find out.
    Here's a question that I haven't seen asked yet...I wonder if Cabrera chose to go to 2nd because of his oblique.

Turn Off Ads?