Turn Off Ads?
Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1159

Thread: NLDS Game 2 Reds vs. Philly

Re: NLDS Game 2 Reds vs. Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    While I agree they have a team built for the future it is dangerous assuming you are going to be back in the postseason. A lot can happen from year to year and a lot of teams that thought they would be back for another run are not back for years. Except for these teams that can spend their way into the postseason other teams have a smaller margin for error and you never know what is going to happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Yep, they DID screw up. But if people want to say that they threw away their only chance and won't have another chance for 15 years.... take a breath, count to 10, whatever.

edit: Roy, not sure what else I can say that I haven't already. Wanna complain that they won't have another shot? Fine. I'll bow out and let ya guys do that. Just let me know when you come to your senses. K?

You never know how long it will be until they get another shot at the postseason. Could be next season or it could take 5,10 or 15 years. Things don't always go according to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    edit: Roy, not sure what else I can say that I haven't already. Wanna complain that they won't have another shot? Fine. I'll bow out and let ya guys do that. Just let me know when you come to your senses. K?
    Hey, I'm fine. Last time I looked I still had my senses. Yep, still here.

Its OK to disagree. You see it one way, I see it another. Doesn't mean I think you're a bad person.

I think being a cranky and crotchety "older" fan gives you the perspective of a longer arc of history. Maybe they'll get another shot, maybe they won't. But they are precious things and not something to squander. They blew this one. I don't like that now and I very much doubt I'll like it in the future.

Peace.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

This team is seemingly as ready to string together successful seasons as they have been in 20 years. This team can repeat, but it is a team that is one extended DL trip (Votto, Bruce or Rolen) from being a very poor offensive team. they were also very fortunate with healthy starters too. It's not far from 1st to fourth or fifth in the NL Central.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm with Roy.

I don't care if they weren't expected to be good this year. They were good and they made the playoffs and with that expectations change. Goals and expectations are fluid.

They choked. Screwed the pooch. It was brutal. My blood pressure did not enjoy it. My wife did not not enjoy it (because I didn't...lol). My liver did not enjoy it.

I'm pretty pissed. I don't give a rats behind for next year right now. I'm mad. I've waited 15 years and have been thoroughly disappointed these past three days. Great, some are eternal optimists and everything is great. Good for you. But please don't tell me or Roy that we shouldn't be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm with Roy.

I don't care if they weren't expected to be good this year. They were good and they made the playoffs and with that expectations change. Goals and expectations are fluid.

They choked. Screwed the pooch. It was brutal. My blood pressure did not enjoy it. My wife did not not enjoy it (because I didn't...lol). My liver did not enjoy it.

I'm pretty pissed. I don't give a rats behind for next year right now. I'm mad. I've waited 15 years and have been thoroughly disappointed these past three days. Great, some are eternal optimists and everything is great. Good for you. But please don't tell me or Roy that we shouldn't be upset.
    Spoken like a true fan.

No need to sugarcoat it. They layed an egg after Votto's sac fly.

I don't know what some Reds fans expect, but just because they have young talent does not guarantee trips to the postseason each year. Even if they win 91 games next year, the Cards or Cubs might win 92 and the Reds might be watching from home.

That was the single greatest choke job I've ever seen in my life.

It's amazing how much more this one hurts than game 1.

That game hurt far, far worse then the first.

I wanted to go home and kick the dog and realized we don't have one, so that frustrated me even more.

For 6 innings this team played like they could beat anyone. And in 1 inning they played like they didn't even deserve to be there. And the defeat came at the hands of a part of the game (defense), as well as players (Rolen, Phillips, and Bruce), that got us there.

I feel really bad for Jay Bruce. He obviously lost that ball in the lights. Simply a bad break.

But 4 hit batsmen? Well... three.... the ball never touched Utley, who did a heck of an acting job.

The guys did themselves in.

As I read over on MLB. com.... "Reds never had a month like that seventh inning". How true.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-09-2010 at 05:21 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Sorry, I just don't buy that.

You can't count on "next year". You make the best of your opportunities when they are staring you in the face. The brass ring was right there to grab.

If you're happy just to be there, you ain't ever going anywhere.
    I totally agree.
    I did not expect the Reds to win it all this post season. The Phillies certainly deserved to be favored over the Reds. Yes, this has been a great season, the first post season for the Reds in 15 years.
    But you just can't relax and assume that this group of Reds will have multiple opportunites to win a World Series. For small market teams the proverbial "window of opporunity" can be quite small and close quickly.
    It took the Big Red Machine a relatively long time to finally win a World Series, with the team's core being created as early as 1967 when Bench joined Rose and Perez, nearly a decade before their first World Championship in 1975, with post season disappointments in 1970, 1972 and 1973. A small market team today cannot keep together the kind of talent the Big Red Machine had for a decade.
    One thing I appreciated about the 1990 Reds is that they took advantage of the opportunity.
    The Reds have a good young core in Votto, Bruce, et al. How long can they afford to keep them together? They also have a few key aging veterans, most significantly Rolen. How much do they have left?
    I'm not throwing in the towel by any means, but we should not assume that this bunch of Reds will have multiple chances to win it all.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm with Roy.

Couldn't have expressed it better. RB's dead on too. That old adage about the year choosing you comes to mind. Come back to Cincy 1-1 and the Reds have a realistic shot at the pennant. It's a pipe dream now.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    This team is seemingly as ready to string together successful seasons as they have been in 20 years. This team can repeat, but it is a team that is one extended DL trip (Votto, Bruce or Rolen) from being a very poor offensive team. they were also very fortunate with healthy starters too. It's not far from 1st to fourth or fifth in the NL Central.
    I really don't think we should count on Rolen for next season. He really wasn't very good in the second half of the season. He played more like "Toronto Rolen" in the second half. I love the guy for helping us get here but I don't think his body is going to allow him to continue to produce at a high level any more.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

1153 posts counting this one. A game thread record?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

1153 posts counting this one. A game thread record?
    no

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    no

Kinda surprising, but I guess most of those were before the ORG was cut down in size. I went back and read through the Hamilton Debut thread to where he hit his HR.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?