Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Future Section

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The Future Section

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    As far as what to do now, my best suggestion is to cut the voting off at a week, and whatever the numbers are, they are. I know the number of voters isn't where it should be, but to leave these prospective ORG members hang in limbo for a month or more just feels wrong. If people haven't voted within a week, they're probably not going to bother, so just go with what you have.
    I like this idea if we are keeping things to a vote.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think lowering the amount of votes(but still have the same percent needed to gain access to tORG) would be fine.

Senor Votto

Just keep the voting thread open until there's enough votes

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I think this is the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I think this is the best way to go.
    When I was voted into the ORG it took exactly one week from the time my poll started to when I found out that I was in. We currently have a member whose poll will have been up exactly 6 weeks come Wednesday (11/24).

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It's working, just not as quickly as people want. The issue isn't whether or not the current process works, just a matter of can it be modified.
    Gee, Brutus, how long should it take?

I don't mean any disrespect towards Brutus or anyone else. I understand that some polls take longer than others. And I know some will say that for the privilige of becoming an ORG member they should be willing to wait while the esteemed members of the ORG decide their fate. But, how long is a reasonable amount of time for these people to have to wait for an answer? 2 months?!?

It's been a month since the last post in this thread. And not only have things not gotten any better but they might've gotten worse. Wow, that's progress.

I don't know what the answer is but I just know that it might actually be worthwhile to tweek the voting process.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 11-23-2010 at 07:54 AM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Here's an out-of-the-box idea for a fix. Maybe if there were some threads in that forum discussing something other than voting we'd be inclined to open it more often?

I guess those threads not discussing votes need to have universal appeal. How about a weekly prize thread where you have to post in the thread to be entered into the weekly drawing? That'd be a carrot that would get people into that forum more often than once a month.

Is it possible that a lack of participation for a potential member is a sign that their posting history hasn't generated enough enthusiasm to motivate votes one way or the other? There have been a number of discussion threads where the few actual comments were akin to "well nothing jumps out as a problem". The way the current system is set up, abstaining has meaning.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

What was the deal with the rep/negging setup that used to be here. If wanting current Zoners to participate is the goal...that is the way to go.

Its a 2 way street.

If you must vote someone in to the ORG...you aren't going to get that many current Zoners to help the process.

If you do the rep system, more participation is involved with the drawback of letting some dreck slide thru before they are negged to another galaxy.

I'm of the let them in until they show they don't belong camp myself, but it's not my message board.

I believe that the major reason for the delay is people simply forget to vote, or won't take the time to vote even if they remember because they don't really care. Not alot can be done about those who don't wanna vote so we need only concentrate on the former.

Keep it the way it is with one Caveat. Add a deadline for when the vote gets moved to the ORG (after 2 or 3 weeks). Add a sticky on the ORG when this happens allowing for the vote to continue. In order to keep it confidential you assign a number to each Votee when they are 1st put up for vote so if they have to be moved to the ORG for a vote the heading isn't their board name but their number only.

Example:

(On the Future board)
    princeton (#1) is up for nomination
    M2 (#2) is up for nomination
    Screwball (#3) is up for nomination

(On ORG)
    *Sticky - #2 still needs X number of votes - vote here (refer to the future board for the name associated with this number)
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Is it possible that a lack of participation for a potential member is a sign that their posting history hasn't generated enough enthusiasm to motivate votes one way or the other? There have been a number of discussion threads where the few actual comments were akin to "well nothing jumps out as a problem". The way the current system is set up, abstaining has meaning.
    Jojo, that's the point of this thread. Most Redszoners don't care to vote on new members and that's why it's taking so long. Abstaining has meaning and the result is a longer process.

Simply put, should we continue with a voting system for induction when most of its members don't want to vote for whatever reason?

Moving forward, I think we'll set a cap on the voting length at a month. At that point, GIK and I will take the current voting results into account, along with a review of the candidate's posts, and make a final decision in the interests of reaching a conclusion. Thank you for everyone's input.

I care. I rarely vote though. To be honest, I just don't have the time to sift through pages of posts.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I almost never vote. Probably because I almost never read the SunDeck. I don't know them, so I don't vote for them.

To be honest, I don't see the problem at all with how it is done now. I don't know all there is to know about baseball, but I find I am less interested in stats beyond OPS for hitters and WHIP for pitchers. For fielding, I use my eyes.

So what is a poster from the SunDeck going to tell me? just more noise as they quote the poster ahead of him/her agreeing/disagreeing. (Did it myself in the 2011 HOF thread). I'm not losing interest in RZ, but i want better conversation. I don't think new members necessarily lends to that. So the speed of new members entering, or lack thereof does not bother me a bit.

And why the rush to escape the SunDeck anyway? you get to a place where you can discuss this thing you love, you make friends, then you leave knowing most of them won't be joining you anytime soon. Yeah, there are some buffoons in there. ORG has a few too.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?