Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got tix and hotel reservations...now what?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Weighing In

Originally posted by SunDeck
    Most of my friends from college grew up going to Clifton School, dodging Johnny K. and "Dr." Melzner, and sneaking into the Esquire (was it called that back then?). I always envied the life they had.

It was called the Esquire for as long as I can remember, probably forever. But it was closed down for several years - roughly 1983-1990 - and they were going to tear it down before a successful 'save the Esquire' campaign. When I was a small boy, it was a second-run movie theater. For example, it showed Star Wars about a year after Star Wars came out. With the advent of HBO and pay cable, second-run theaters became obsolete.

Now the theater is more of a first-run art house. I was hoping that the theater's website would have a history section, but it doesn't
    http://www.esquiretheatre.com/

However, there's a small historical timeline on this link. You might have heard about the controversy over its management company cutting a scene out of a movie and not telling the customers - which was in breech of its contract with the studio.

http://enquirer.com/editions/2001/06..._theaters.html

However, I don't think that's affected attendance. My dad - a UC professor - recently moved back to Clifton, and he says that attendance appears to be good.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    i stayed at that holiday inn several years ago. it was only for one night. nothing fancy, but not totally gross either. it served it's purpose, after all, you really only need the room to sleep and shower in. the major drawback for me, was that it is a little more out of the way, than most of the other downtown hotels. anyway, just wanted to let you know that i had stayed there once before, but as i mentioned, it was several years ago. good luck.

I haven't read everything in this thread, so if I repeat... sorry.

Can't speak for hotel prices. Before I moved here, my company paid the bills. I have never stayed in a local hotel on my own. I would think, however, that $33 a night is quite a steal.

I will focus on food and entertainment:

- any place in Mt Adams. lots of bars and restaurants, all within walking distance of each other. also Eden Park with the art museum, a conservatory, and a theater (Playhouse in the Park).

- the Main St entertainment district (Main between Central Pkwy and Liberty). again, lots of bars, clubs, and restaurants... my personal favorite for eats is the Main Street Brewery, which is a micro brewery/eatery.

- the Back Stage theater district (Walnut between 5th and 8th streets) has many eateries.

- Fountain Square also has a micro brewery (Rock Bottom) and the 5th & Vine Bar (located at street level of the Westin... the Reds Dugout Shop is also in the Westin... right across from the bar).

- If you don't want to drive all the way to Montgomery for ribs, try the Boathouse (same owners as Montgomery Inn), which is right on the river just past Sawyer Point (your hotel can give you directions).

- Not too far is The Presinct (an old police station turned into THE place for monster steaks) and Arnolds is right down the street from it (someone mentioned Arnolds earlier).

- Kentucky on the river. The Waterfront, Covington Landing, B&B Riverboats, Mike Fink's (floating restaurant), Riverboat Row in Newport, and Newport on the Levee (entertainment complex).

There are a ton of other places but these are all in or near downtown. Plus, of course, there are other good restaurants and clubs scattered around downtown.... the Havanna Martini Club, Red Fish, the Phoenix, etc. Take a walk around and you'll see several. Other than the Main Street entertainment district, I'd suggest you don't walk any further north than 10th Street.

Oh, and lest I forget... don't miss Koch's Sporting Goods on 4th street (pronounced Cook's). Most out-of-towners also don't realize there is a mall downtown (Tower Mall), across Vine street from the Westin Hotel.

I could give you more, but I gotta go watch '24'. Have a great trip.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Originally posted by TeamBoone
    Oh, and lest I forget... don't miss Koch's Sporting Goods on 4th street (pronounced Cook's). Most out-of-towners also don't realize there is a mall downtown (Tower Mall), across Vine street from the Westin Hotel.

Good call on Koch's- possibly the only sporting goods store ever to have been called upon to supply a uni for a MLB team. Remeber Calvin Pickering? The Stowes didn't have any pants that could fit him in the clubhouse, so Ric walked up to Koch's and bought a pair of softball pants for him.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The Presinct is easily the best place to get a steak in Cincininati...any of Jeff Ruby's restaurants are worth checking out.

Turn Off Ads?