Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Sappelt

Re: David Sappelt

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There is a chance of it yes. He wouldn't be your typical left fielder, but I think he could be a Carl Crawford type with a little less HR power and far fewer steals (though 20-30 is possible, he has above average speed but isn't the best base stealer).
    Since you have watched him a bit, what is with his sb%? Is it a matter of him being too predictable or is he instructed to work on his base stealing in game situations?

based on his minor league numbers he shouldn't steal as often as he attempts to.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    Since you have watched him a bit, what is with his sb%? Is it a matter of him being too predictable or is he instructed to work on his base stealing in game situations?

based on his minor league numbers he shouldn't steal as often as he attempts to.
    I honestly haven't paid enough attention to him when he is on base to say. I am usually focusing on the hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post

BP/Freel redux....at least when he was in Dayton. In that I mean he is ultra aggressive and mostly relies on pure speed but I believe that is fairly typical for most youngsters until they get up around the bigs when it starts to become important for him to learn the art of base stealing. He's fast but not fast enough to rely strictly on speed.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Sooooo, could he play LF, and be a Lead-off hitter? Some have offered views that say a bit to those questions, and others have offered opinions about the guy in generalities. I'm just of the opinion the Reds desperately need a Lead-off hitter, and by the time they are done paying Votto and Bruce, there isn't going to be any money to land any significant Free Agent to fill the bill. Could Sappelt be the guy?
    Pros: Good speed, makes decent contact, has some discipline

To answer your question I don't even need to add his Cons. Sure he can be a leadoff hitter I think a solid one. He has all the tools a good leadoff hitter has but he really needs to improve his skill in each of these areas to be a consistently solid one. Be substantially more selective at the plate and on the basepaths. Another good full year with Rick Sweet and company and I think he'll be primed and ready I think. He'll likely be up sooner than that though, heck he is Dusty's type of player so he may end up on the opening day roster. Not that I think he is ready for it but I suspect he will do well enough in spring training to get some consideration.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

If your comparing him as a Carl Crawford kind of guy I will take that 6 days a week and 3 times on Sunday. Crawford is one of the elite players in the game. If Francisco takes over at third and if Bruce can really develop to better consistant power number then your 3,4 could be taken care of. so 3 votto, 4, francisco and 5 bruce then he wouldn't have to put up tremendous power numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseBelongs View Post
    If your comparing him as a Carl Crawford kind of guy I will take that 6 days a week and 3 times on Sunday. Crawford is one of the elite players in the game. If Francisco takes over at third and if Bruce can really develop to better consistant power number then your 3,4 could be taken care of. so 3 votto, 4, francisco and 5 bruce then he wouldn't have to put up tremendous power numbers.
    Carl Crawford with Less Power, oh and less Steals... Possibly 20-30 is what he said, so he is not like Crawford other than he plays Left Field.

Turn Off Ads?