Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mudcats to Be Sold?

-The Insider-

Re: Mudcats to Be Sold?

Like I said, I'm going to call him in the morning and find out exactly what is going on. If I can tell y'all, I will.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

So here's the deal in full from what I understand (just from reading stuff)

The Pensacola Pelicans of the Independent League (american association) is buying a Double-A Southern League franchise. That team is the Carolina Mudcats. The Pelicans will not play at all in 2011 while the Mudcats will continue to play as normal as the Double-A Southern League affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds in 2011.

Steve Bryant will purchase the Kinston Indians franchise. They are the High-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. They as well will operate as normal in 2011.

In 2012, The Double-A Southern League Carolina Mudcats will move to Pensacola and operate under a new name and will still be affiliated with the Reds.

The team in Zebulon now be the Single-A Carolina League affiliate of the Indians and may or may not be the Carolina Mudcats.

The Kinston team is trying to purchase another team, but nothing has been announced or rumored to that.

And of course, for the benefit of any other Redszone guys in Jax (I only know of one other) This would almost certainly mean the Pelicans/Reds would join the Southern League South Division along with the Suns. Probably 3 visits to Jax per year.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    And of course, for the benefit of any other Redszone guys in Jax (I only know of one other) This would almost certainly mean the Pelicans/Reds would join the Southern League South Division along with the Suns. Probably 3 visits to Jax per year.
    And this means I would no longer be needed on here.

I can predict a couple things:

1. He was losing money. This gives him some financial breathing room.
    2. They will still be the Mudcats. He has all that brand marketing, he'd be crazy to throw that away

-The Insider-

I can predict a couple things:

1. He was losing money. This gives him some financial breathing room.
    2. They will still be the Mudcats. He has all that brand marketing, he'd be crazy to throw that away
    Yea. It's known he was losing money but I've never heard him mention or hint at this at all. From what I've heard in the past he's wanted to move them to Triple-A. It has to be from the League that's doing this.

It won't be the league....... it's the dollars. If the league wanted to lose a city it would have been Huntsville.

-The Insider-

It won't be the league....... it's the dollars. If the league wanted to lose a city it would have been Huntsville.
    Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I wonder why Carolina was chosen? I don't believe they were last in attendance.
    As like years before, we're middle of the pack in attendance in the SL and were again this past year.

This sucks!

The worst possible scenerio is that the team in Zebulon changes the name and logo. Being affiliated with Cleveland will suck. Kinston just re-upped with the Indians this year too.

Only through the AA affilition with the Reds did I become a Reds fan. I've come a long ways and have a pretty good idea of the system. This is the worst. I have four Mudcat ornaments on our Christmas tree people. I know I am getting a Louisville Bats tee shirt for Christmas that I asked for. I already have opening night tix for the Mudcats. Somebody tell me this is a bad joke...although I know it isn't. My wife called and told me.

They absolutely will still be the Mudcats.

So thinking about this, this had to be a long time in the making. It involves 4 cities: Pensacola, Zebulon, Kinston and Amarillo, Tx, where the current Pensacola team is heading. And 3 leagues.

I wonder if they were trying to make this happen for 2011 originally, which is why both Kinston and Carolina were among those to wait till almost the very end to re-up with their existing clubs.

So will be intersting to see what happens with Reds and Pensacola. This will be another case where the owner inherited us instead of choosing us. Hopefully the Reds put a good product on the field.

And it will also be intersting to see what happens with the High A clubs. I don't know if Kinston was giving lip service to trying to get a new club. If so, California would seem to be the best place to get one (two)
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.

-The Insider-

Ok. Here's the deal:

We are going to stay as the Carolina Mudcats, that's not going to change.

And it wasn't a deal in place, everything happened to fall into place with Kinston and Pensacola.

So...what legitimacy does the two year working agreement with the Cincy Reds hold if the team is gone after year one? Somebody help me with that, same thing with the Indians and Kinston?

Secondly, is there any way that the Bakersfield team could be relocated to Carolina? What is the difference in them leaving after year one of a two year agreement there versus what is happening here? I would love to see the Mudcats stay in the Reds system.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    So...what legitimacy does the two year working agreement with the Cincy Reds hold if the team is gone after year one? Somebody help me with that, same thing with the Indians and Kinston?

Secondly, is there any way that the Bakersfield team could be relocated to Carolina? What is the difference in them leaving after year one of a two year agreement there versus what is happening here? I would love to see the Mudcats stay in the Reds system.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
    Bryant bought the Indians and moving them to Zebulon as the Carolina Mudcats of the A-Advance Carolina league.

The Pensacola TBA will play in the Southern League as the Double-A affiliate of the Reds for at least 2011.

The Carolina Mudcats will play as the A-Advance team for the Indians for at least 2011.

After that, who knows. The Reds and Braves are in contracts they aren't happy with (for High-A in Bakersfield and Lynchburg, respectively) that means after 2012 when the PDC is over with the Indians, we could sign with Atlanta or with Cincinnati.

Turn Off Ads?