Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 04/07/11 Minor League Game Thread

Re: 04/07/11 Minor League Game Thread

Article on Dave Sappelt:

Bats manager Rick Sweet said the 5-foot-9,193-pound Sappelt's overall game needs refining.

“We want to really focus on base-stealing, his drag-bunting, playing shallower in center field,” Sweet said. “It's not that he is not capable of going to the big leagues right now — he is — but we definitely have things we can work on to get better.”
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...eds-might-call

2. Turn Off Ads?

What I mentioned about Yonder wasn't a misplay, it was him simply not getting to what looked like a reachable ball. The play is in the Fox41 video and from that angle it looked like a bit harder to reach than it appeared from my seat last night. In fairness, I retract my previous statement.

From the DDN - This may explain why Yorman didn't show up early to Spring Training...
    Indeed. You never want to judge too soon....

From Baseball America:

Devin Mesoraco, c, Reds: Was last year’s sudden breakout from Mesoraco a fluke? That doesn’t seem likely, as Mesoraco battled wrist and finger injuries throughout his career until last season, when scouts came away more impressed with his bat speed, power and ability to square up the ball routinely than they had seen in the past. Mesoraco, 22, went 2-for-4 with a home run and a double yesterday for Triple-A Louisville, where he could repeat his 25-plus home run season from a year ago.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...ue/#more-11369

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Sensible, whether or not the bat was real was never the question. Stealing turns him into a dangerous major league leadoff hitter. Honing his defense will seal up the hole that Gomes is in LF.

Sappelt in LF and Mesoraco at C are going to be monsters for us when they come up next year...

Sappelt- LF
    Phillips (if we can resign)- 2B
    Votto- 1B
    Mesoraco- C
    Bruce- RF
    Rolen-3B
    Stubbs- CF
    Janish/Cozart- SS

The best lineup/defense in baseball? Sappelt, Phillips, and Stubbs are both good for 20 HR. Mesoraco/Rolen for 25. Bruce/Votto for 35. Cozart has pop too, if he platoons with Janish. No holes in the defense (except for the starts Francisco/Alonso will get), and at least half if not all of the lineup has gold glove potential.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Again, I can not remember the Alonso misplay that everyone is talking about. Dorn and Hermida both made bad plays in the 7 run inning - are you sure you are not thinking of either of those? I do remeber Alonso making a nice diving catch early in the game. You can see that and other highlights here: http://www.fox41.com/category/163829...partnerclipid=
    Alonso did misplay a grounder earlier in the game. As for the one GOYA is talking about, I know that there was a double to left field that he seemed to take a bad route on. It was a single either way IMO, but the route he took let it go to the wall for a double instead of being cut off in the alley. Perhaps that is the one he is walking about. On the other side, Alonso did make a nice play on a liner off the wall where he bare handed the ricochet off the wall and turned and fired a one hopper to the second baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post

The best lineup/defense in baseball? Sappelt, Phillips, and Stubbs are both good for 20 HR. Mesoraco/Rolen for 25. Bruce/Votto for 35. Cozart has pop too, if he platoons with Janish. No holes in the defense (except for the starts Francisco/Alonso will get), and at least half if not all of the lineup has gold glove potential.
    Not sure if you meant to add Sappelt in there since you said both, but if you did.... I would have to say that while I think Sappelt has top end 20 HR pop, he is probably more likely to be a 15 HR guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not sure if you meant to add Sappelt in there since you said both, but if you did.... I would have to say that while I think Sappelt has top end 20 HR pop, he is probably more likely to be a 15 HR guy.
    I don't remember, how many HR did he have last season? I agree that he's more impressive for his high OBP, but I remember him having 20+ in the minors last season.

The "both" was a typo from an earlier version of my post, my bad. Sappelt is meant to be there.

I don't remember, how many HR did he have last season? I agree that he's more impressive for his high OBP, but I remember him having 20+ in the minors last season.

The "both" was a typo from an earlier version of my post, my bad. Sappelt is meant to be there.
    Sappelt has a career high of 10 HR's in the minors in a single season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sappelt has a career high of 10 HR's in the minors in a single season.
    Thanks, I think I was getting his HR numbers mixed with Mesoraco's. Still, having at least some pop at the top of the order is useful.

(And the best lineup/defense in baseball point still stands imo. Even if it's not the best in either of the categories, it's almost certainly the best combination)
    Last edited by The DARK; 04-08-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks, I think I was getting his HR numbers mixed with Mesoraco's. Still, having at least some pop at the top of the order is useful.

(And the best lineup/defense in baseball point still stands imo. Even if it's not the best in either of the categories, it's almost certainly the best combination)
    Yeah, defensively that outfield with Sappelt, Stubbs and Bruce would be death to any fly ball. So much range.

Turn Off Ads?