Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 5-21-11 - Reds at Cleveland

Re: 5-21-11 - Reds at Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They've been iffy for a while. They scored Runs in Hourston, but come on it's Houston. The St Louis series was a lot of runs, but a lot of the hits would have been outs had guys like Theriot and Berkman not been out there. Chicago gave them most of the Runs in that series. The Pirates shut them down and the Indians kept them in check. Even today's run scored on a double play ball that the 2B bobbled and only was able to get one or the Reds would have been shut out.

I've been saying all along that the Reds need another bat. What happens when Ramon wakes up, Phillips "regresses to the mean" and Rolen wears down again? Votto and Bruce can both play like MVPs, but its not enough. The team plays in GABP with road games in Chicago and Houston. They should be near the top in runs scored and anything below the top 4 in the NL probably means the offense is not a strength. I just don't see this team getting production from some of the guys who have been providing it as the summer wears on. We know which position needs to be upgraded and IMO the in house candidates aren't good enough to provide the mid order thump needed.
    The Reds lead the majors in runs per game and runs overall. They are averaging close to a run better than the major league average.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds lead the majors in runs per game and runs overall. They are averaging close to a run better than the major league average.
    I don't care. For this team to win, they need to score 800 runs or more. When the guys with early season hot streaks cool off (specifically Phillips and Hernandez) and Rolen starts feeling the pain in his shoulder again, this line-up isn't deep enough to provide consistent production. They've played above their head offensively and they still go into long funks. When these other guys cool off, they won't be able to carry the mess in LF and a defense only SS.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't care. For this team to win, they need to score 800 runs or more. When the guys with early season hot streaks cool off (specifically Phillips and Hernandez) and Rolen starts feeling the pain in his shoulder again, this line-up isn't deep enough to provide consistent production. They've played above their head offensively and they still go into long funks. When these other guys cool off, they won't be able to carry the mess in LF and a defense only SS.
    Very true. Votto is not the same guy we saw last year becuase teams are pitching around him. Renteria hasn't morphed into Cabrerra yet and Janish is proving he is a judy hitter. Gomes is a disaster and that leaves the offense in trouble. The DO need a big bat, but as long as Dusty insists on playing Gomes, much less starting him, and batting Janish (I hesitate to say anywhere here, but truth is, Paul is a defensive replacement) high in the order, the runs won't come. FACT is, the Reds have averaged just over 3 runs a game in the last 32 games and that's not going to get it done.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

How come it has to be so blatantly obvious and a player has to hit rock bottom x infinity before the GM jumps in and makes a decision for the ignorant manager. Corey Patterson. Willy Taveras. Jonny Gomes. Quit sending bad ballplayers to Dusty Baker, because if he likes them, he'll play them over and over and over.............

Make a statement. DFA Gomes tomorrow. This isn't charity.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    How come it has to be so blatantly obvious and a player has to hit rock bottom x infinity before the GM jumps in and makes a decision for the ignorant manager. Corey Patterson. Willy Taveras. Jonny Gomes. Quit sending bad ballplayers to Dusty Baker, because if he likes them, he'll play them over and over and over.............

Make a statement. DFA Gomes tomorrow. This isn't charity.
    Dusty isn't ignorant. I'm sorry I know the manager is never popular with the fans but Dusty is just way too loyal. Not ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Very true. Votto is not the same guy we saw last year becuase teams are pitching around him. Renteria hasn't morphed into Cabrerra yet and Janish is proving he is a judy hitter. Gomes is a disaster and that leaves the offense in trouble. The DO need a big bat, but as long as Dusty insists on playing Gomes, much less starting him, and batting Janish (I hesitate to say anywhere here, but truth is, Paul is a defensive replacement) high in the order, the runs won't come. FACT is, the Reds have averaged just over 3 runs a game in the last 32 games and that's not going to get it done.
    No wonder why you are so negative on here....why don't you do the math again on that last 32 games bit. It was so unbelievable I looked it up myself, and my suspicions were confirmed.

There is something WRONG with Gomes. I'm not sure this can be worked out at the major league level or quickly. His last at bat was really really bad. I guess it makes sense to bench him but getting a few at bats a week doesn't seem like a good recipe.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I know 4 loses in a row are tough to take, but everyone here is acting like it's the end of the world... oh wait, nevermind.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Its fun to say things are facts and be totally wrong. Try 4.6 runs/game and in general that will get it done. Losing streaks happen, no reason to freak out about it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quatitos View Post
    Its fun to say things are facts and be totally wrong. Try 4.6 runs/game and in general that will get it done. Losing streaks happen, no reason to freak out about it every time.
    I probably would have glanced over it myself, but he just had to capitalize "facts".

Quote Originally Posted by Quatitos View Post
    I thought it was more than 3 as well, but 4.6 Runs per game would be 745 over 162. Consider that defense in St. Louis and Chicago and the cheapies in Houston probably inflated that by 15 to 20 runs and it is a concern.

IMO, 800 runs is the minimum that this team must score to be taken seriously. They play in this offense creatimg park, in this offensive division with bandboxes and the type of defenses that allow routine balls to go as hits, runs scored come fairly cheaply and aren't the best indication of the overall talent level of the offense. With the runs allowed side being lead by a staff w/o a number 1 or even a number 2 starter the need to socre a lot. They may win the division with less, but they need to upgrade the talent level to be considered a serious championship contender IMO. This team needs another bat. An upgrade from Gomes to say a league averagish LF would help, but IMO it still won't be enough. Phillips is miscast at clean-up, Rolen probably doesn't have the strength in his back and shoulders to be more than a complementary player and Votto and Bruce need a third guy for the middle of the order.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Note the 4.6 per game in 32 games is cherry picked anyway. The Reds scored 11 the game before that set of data began.

Turn Off Ads?