Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spotify

Re: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    fearofpopvol1 -- Spotify shareholder.
    Haha, I'm honestly not! I just really believe in the product and even though it's not perfect, I think it is going to change the way we listen to and consume music.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How is this similar or different to Grooveshark? Legality? Method of streaming/storing files? Selection and organization of the selection (no duplicates, standardized mp3 quality)?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Try this to get some Pandora like functionality out of it, this made a big difference for me:

http://spotibot.com
    Thanks man. I'll check this out.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I can't speak for the bugs (though curious what bugs you've encountered), but the speed may be your work computer. It runs super fast on my home computer.
    I'm not sure of specific bugs, but it tends to crash a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I love Rhapsody and have been a subscriber for several years.
    Me too! Love the playlists. I actually enjoy the mobile app more. One of the better $15 I spend a month.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    How is this similar or different to Grooveshark? Legality? Method of streaming/storing files? Selection and organization of the selection (no duplicates, standardized mp3 quality)?
    It's much cleaner and a better user experience, but I think the concept is pretty similar.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Just as a follow up:

I sprung for the premium subscription for the hell of it. What can I say, I'm a sucker. I'm running the mobile app on my Droid without a problem. I'm going to try the pandora-like add on that Rf suggested.

Just got my invite.. So I will try this in the morning and see what all the fuss is about.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I've been using the free service for the last week or so and sprung for the premium service today. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Try this to get some Pandora like functionality out of it, this made a big difference for me:

http://spotibot.com
    This is pretty nifty. Thanks for posting the link -- I told all my friends.

I just started using Spotify but I like it so far. Whoever said the interface reminds them of Limewire -- wow. Holy cow, it looks so much like it. The greatest thing about this so far for me is the shared music/playlists among friends. It's all right there. To me this is the void that it really fills in music services.

I'm still on just the free service, but I may well end up paying. I'm at the point in my life when I'd pay for a service over a material good most of the time. There's no need for me to go carting everything I own everywhere I go when I can put it all on a computer or ipod instead (with appropriate backup where needed). I think the reason services like this succeed is just that -- they recognize that consumers' wants and needs are changing.

edit: My god it even has a FEED for your friends' latest playlists, artists, etc. I didn't notice that before. This is great.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 08-13-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    This is pretty nifty. Thanks for posting the link -- I told all my friends.

I just started using Spotify but I like it so far. Whoever said the interface reminds them of Limewire -- wow. Holy cow, it looks so much like it. The greatest thing about this so far for me is the shared music/playlists among friends. It's all right there. To me this is the void that it really fills in music services.

I'm still on just the free service, but I may well end up paying. I'm at the point in my life when I'd pay for a service over a material good most of the time. There's no need for me to go carting everything I own everywhere I go when I can put it all on a computer or ipod instead (with appropriate backup where needed). I think the reason services like this succeed is just that -- they recognize that consumers' wants and needs are changing.

edit: My god it even has a FEED for your friends' latest playlists, artists, etc. I didn't notice that before. This is great.
    VP - great to see you around. Naive question of the day: how do you do the shared music/playlists amongst friends?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    VP - great to see you around. Naive question of the day: how do you do the shared music/playlists amongst friends?
    Well, I connected to my friends via Facebook. I was wary of this at first, but then realized that I don't have to publish anything ON facebook, it will just automatically connect me to my FB friends with Spotify accounts if they've allowed it. So that was nice. And once I did that, there's just a feed that comes up every time I open spotify (on the "What's new" tab) that shows what people have published, shared, etc. Which is great. You can share and subscribe to these playlists too. And if your friends aren't on Facebook, you can look them up via their usernames (if you know them) by entering spotify:user:username in the search box. So if you add me, for example (my username is the same as mine on here), you will see all the playlists I share.

And then a friend of mine actually started a collaborative playlist that anyone with whom she shares it can contribute to. I'm not sure how she did it, but all i have to do is drag songs in from my itunes. You can also choose to share any playlists you already have set up on your itunes. It is supereasy.

Does all of that make sense? I am getting obsessed with spotify.

edit: oh, and also, besides the What's New feed, once you've connected with friends, you can also click on them individually and see playlists/songs they've shared.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 08-18-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The recent Facebook integration with Spotify has been awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Wake me when they hit zero.

That's the value of a Spotify track or a digital download on the resale market.
    Fair to say that the value of CDs and DVDs is zero now? Or close enough?

Hard to believe this was all 11ish years ago. So much has changed. There are rumors that TikTok may start its own streaming platform.

Turn Off Ads?