Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spotify

Spotify

is amazing. It should change the music world and listening for a while to come.

http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/

Anyone else tried it out yet?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    is amazing. It should change the music world and listening for a while to come.

http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/

Anyone else tried it out yet?
    I was just about to sign up for the premium until I looked over the small list of phones they support. Apparently, their mobile app is incompatible with the Motorola Droid (current phone) as well as the HTC Thunderbolt (possibly my next phone). Kind of a deal breaker for me.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll pass -- don't see what the huge deal is. DRM on iTunes was bad. Paying a monthly fee to access music (with nothing to show for it at the end of the subscription period) is worse.

I'll rent movies and TV shows, but I prefer to own my music.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I was just about to sign up for the premium until I looked over the small list of phones they support. Apparently, their mobile app is incompatible with the Motorola Droid (current phone) as well as the HTC Thunderbolt (possibly my next phone). Kind of a deal breaker for me.
    I expect that to improve quickly. Did you try downloading it from the Android Market?

I expect that to improve quickly. Did you try downloading it from the Android Market?
    I downloaded it. However, I can't test it out until I pay for a subscription (no mobile app under the free versions). I've read a ton of threads on different message boards stating that Spotify no longer has a working app for Droid after the upgrade to 2.2.1. Also, the Spotify website does not list the Droid as supported. I hope they do improve that. I'm definitely interested, but I won't pay the extra $ for things like a mobile app when it won't work on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'll pass -- don't see what the huge deal is. DRM on iTunes was bad. Paying a monthly fee to access music (with nothing to show for it at the end of the subscription period) is worse.

I'll rent movies and TV shows, but I prefer to own my music.
    $.99 - $1.29 per song vs. $10 a month? Keep in mind, you can access whatever song you want anytime you want from your computer or mobile device and you can include your own library. And the songs are stored offline so you don't have to stream them. Not to mention, the free service lets you stream whatever you want from your computer with a very small number of ads! It's very easy to use as well.

It probably will take some time for Spotify to catch on, but this very well may kill iTunes if Apple doesn't come up with a similar service.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I downloaded it. However, I can't test it out until I pay for a subscription (no mobile app under the free versions). I've read a ton of threads on different message boards stating that Spotify no longer has a working app for Droid after the upgrade to 2.2.1. Also, the Spotify website does not list the Droid as supported. I hope they do improve that. I'm definitely interested, but I won't pay the extra $ for things like a mobile app when it won't work on my phone.
    I don't blame you on that. Try out the free version if you can for the web. You'll easily be sold.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

$.99 - $1.29 per song vs. $10 a month? Keep in mind, you can access whatever song you want anytime you want from your computer or mobile device and you can include your own library. And the songs are stored offline so you don't have to stream them. Not to mention, the free service lets you stream whatever you want from your computer with a very small number of ads! It's very easy to use as well.

It probably will take some time for Spotify to catch on, but this very well may kill iTunes if Apple doesn't come up with a similar service.
    The free service I could see being very popular. As a paid subscription service, I'm not initially seeing anything in Spotify that's going to kill iTunes any more than Rhapsody is, but time will tell.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The free service I could see being very popular. As a paid subscription service, I'm not initially seeing anything in Spotify that's going to kill iTunes any more than Rhapsody is, but time will tell.
    I was all over it until I looked into the mobile app issue. It may not kill iTunes, but look out Pandora (which I also subscribe to).

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I buy songs / albums that I like. If I had this service, I'd still buy songs and albums that I liked because I'd want to own them (burn them to CDs / DVDs for physical backups). What I'd be paying $10 per month for is songs I don't love or need to own but still would like to listen to -- and frankly, I can get the same thing from Pandora for free.

It's bad enough buying songs online where you own no physical copy -- this is the next step down this particular slippery slope. We're eventually going to reach a point where you just keep paying money to access things and can never actually own something on your own.

And, not to burst your bubble, but if this was going to kill iTunes the music industry would never have given it the OK. iTunes Europe is still going strong, and it's been dealing with this particular service as a competitor for years.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 07-15-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

It's bad enough buying songs online where you own no physical copy -- this is the next step down this particular slippery slope. We're eventually going to reach a point where you just keep paying money to access things and can never actually own something on your own.
    The whole license versus purchase phenomena has been quietly growing for years.

http://gizmodo.com/369235/amazon-kin...o-longer-yours

The difference is in the user interface and the marketing. Rhapsody's isn't very good in my opinion and Spotify has a lot of features that Rhapsody just doesn't. I think the free service will win people over and I do think unless Apple comes up with a competitive alternative, Spotify will kill iTunes.

I buy songs / albums that I like. If I had this service, I'd still buy songs and albums that I liked because I'd want to own them (burn them to CDs / DVDs for physical backups). What I'd be paying $10 per month for is songs I don't love or need to own but still would like to listen to -- and frankly, I can get the same thing from Pandora for free.

And, not to burst your bubble, but if this was going to kill iTunes the music industry would never have given it the OK. iTunes Europe is still going strong, and it's been dealing with this particular service as a competitor for years.
    Do you work in the music business? How do you know what the labels would or wouldn't do? The labels waited so they could jack up the asking price. Spotify finally made an offer the labels couldn't refuse. The idea with Spotify is to get a lot of people paying a little. If Netflix can work, what makes you think Spotify can't? There was resistance to Netflix as well initially. Netflix has proven that ownership is overrated, especially if the service is reasonably priced and easy to use. Heck, there was resistance to iTunes initially from those that wanted to own the CD, but people get over it.

You have to consider as well that you may not be Spotify's target audience. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't a huge market for the service. Also, Pandora is a poor comparison because you don't get to choose what you listen to on beyond a song or two. Spotify allows you to listen to whatever you want for free on your PC with ads, $5 a month without ads or $10 a month for ad free on your PC and mobile device.

Spotify hasn't even been available for 3 years yet and it just launched in the USA. I'm not claiming iTunes will be killed overnight. The marketing will take time and the service has to catch on, but nobody wants to pay $1+ per song anymore. Especially if you can have every song you could want at your fingertips on your PC or mobile device for a small fee each month.

I feel very confident in predicting that if Spotify doesn't succeed, a similar service (maybe even by Apple) will within the next few years...one that will marginalize iTunes.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The difference is in the user interface and the marketing. Rhapsody's isn't very good in my opinion and Spotify has a lot of features that Rhapsody just doesn't. I think the free service will win people over and I do think unless Apple comes up with a competitive alternative, Spotify will kill iTunes.
    Other than cohesively merging owned music with the Spotify library -- something that ought to be redundant, frankly, except for the rare hole in the Spotify library -- I didn't see anything in their new features that looked like a game-changer. But you may well be correct about better marketing.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Other than cohesively merging owned music with the Spotify library -- something that ought to be redundant, frankly, except for the rare hole in the Spotify library -- I didn't see anything in their new features that looked like a game-changer. But you may well be correct about better marketing.
    The user face of Spotify is a million times better than Rhapsody. Spotify also currently has a bigger library than Rhapsody as well. The fact that Rhapsody still hasn't made their product available to MAC is a huge problem too (something Spotify does). Spotify streams at 320KBPS while Rhapsody is at 128KBPS, which is pretty 1999 in my opinion.

I think the fact that Rhapsody has 800,000 US subscribers while Spotify has 1.6M European paid subscribers would indicate that Spotify is on a better trajectory.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-15-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Turn Off Ads?