Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Rises

For those that haven't seen, the Dark Knight sequel will be out next summer. I am curious everyone's opinions on the confirmed villains for this one.

Anne Hathaway has been confirmed as Catwoman, Tom Hardy as Bane and it's rumored Liam Neeson will be Ra's al Ghul. I've still heard persisting rumors of a reprise by Aaron Eckart of two-face, but I am starting to think that's unlikely.

I'm excited for this film, though I must say I thought Dark Knight was one of the best ever created/directed. I fear that the lack of closure from the Joker storyline will make this one hard to accept, even if it's meant to be a standalone story. The Joker became a real nemesis and because of how they left him hanging (pun intended), I just don't know if the new story will be feasible that he's out of the picture.

I also realize after Heath's performance, you can't really bring back the Joker. It just wouldn't be the same. I just hope they properly explain that lingering element in the new arc.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-17-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

I think the Joker still being around is no different than the "villain of the month" flavor of the book. It should work just fine. I'm intrigued by Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and wonder if they will play up the romantic relationship she has with Batman or cast her as a straight up villain.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I think the Joker still being around is no different than the "villain of the month" flavor of the book. It should work just fine. I'm intrigued by Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and wonder if they will play up the romantic relationship she has with Batman or cast her as a straight up villain.
    Perhaps. Even with the Scarecrow though, they transitioned into the Joker as being the new villain. So there's precedent for making the jump fluidly.

I think you might be on to something as a possible romantic relationship. Given how they played up Bruce's vulnerability with Rachel in the first two movies, her death could play a role in how he interacts with Selina.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Anne Hathaway has been confirmed as Catwoman
    yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I also realize after Heath's performance, you can't really bring back the Joker. It just wouldn't be the same. Thoughts?
    Couldnt the same thing have been said about ledger playing the part that nicholson played very well also ?

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Couldnt the same thing have been said about ledger playing the part that nicholson played very well also ?
    Different franchise. One thing Nolan has been adamant about is that his movies have been a reset of the original batman franchise. He attempted to make thee movies as if the Keaton/Nicholson thing never happened or any of the other spin-offs/remakes that have been done since.

On the contrary, this next movie will be an extension of the current universe that Nolan has created, so how the Joker is portrayed is much different than comparing him to a whole different take 22 years ago.

I'm excited for this film, though I must say I thought Dark Knight was one of the best ever created/directed. I fear that the lack of closure from the Joker storyline will make this one hard to accept, even if it's meant to be a standalone story. The Joker became a real nemesis and because of how they left him hanging (pun intended), I just don't know if the new story will be feasible that he's out of the picture.
    Brutus, if there is anyone that could pull it off its Christopher Nolan. I don't think the guy has made a bad film yet.

I'm kind of intrigued by the casting of Tom Hardy as Bane. Kind of a bold choice but I have always felt Tom Hardy has been underrated as an actor and he will finally kind of get his due in the mainstream. Going into the last movie, I scratched my head at casting Heath Ledger as the Joker but that turned out to be a brilliant choice. I kind of see the same thing going on with Tom Hardy as Bane.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Brutus, if there is anyone that could pull it off its Christopher Nolan. I don't think the guy has made a bad film yet.

I'm kind of intrigued by the casting of Tom Hardy as Bane. Kind of a bold choice but I have always felt Tom Hardy has been underrated as an actor and he will finally kind of get his due in the mainstream. Going into the last movie, I scratched my head at casting Heath Ledger as the Joker but that turned out to be a brilliant choice. I kind of see the same thing going on with Tom Hardy as Bane.
    Good point on the Ledger casting. I had the same thoughts when I originally heard he was taking on the role. And lo and behold that may have been the best cinematic performance I've personally seen.

-The Insider-

Brutus, it has been revealed that Catwoman will go back to the old-school getup with the goggles (like this: http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/.../catwoman4.jpg)
    As for the movie, I'm very, very excited. Ghul's daughter is supposedly going to be another villain in the final chapter of the franchise, along with Bane and then Catwoman. It remains to be seen if the latter is going to be an integral part of the antagonistic story line, or if she's going to be a minor role.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 07-18-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Couple of things - Neeson is not a major part of storyline (we think) and I am assuming he was on set for those couple of days for flashbacks.

All the rumors say that Catwoman will be minor villain (a thief) and more of a love interest and maybe even someone to help Batman.

If you have seen the trailer it has Gordon in what appears to be a hospital bed. I am thinking Bane breaks his back (not Batman's) and this is what gets Bruce Wayne to once again wear the suit. Or "rises"

As for Two Face he is dead. That is what Nolan wanted so there is no Eckhart in next installment.

And, lastly, this is Nolan's last Batman. He is clear that this movie ends his trilogy. WB and DC have other intentions though, so we shall see.....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Just came across the first teaser for Dark Knight Rises. Not much since it's still a year away from being released but this will hold me over for a little while.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-d...-a-tiny,59075/

I keep hearing persistent rumors that there will be another main villain who has been pulling the strings behind the scenes from the beginning that will be revealed at some point in this film. We'll see...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

-The Insider-

Something interesting Yahoo pointed out. At the very end when Bane is approaching Batman, here is someone in the right corner. Who is it????

Let the speculation begin.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Something interesting Yahoo pointed out. At the very end when Bane is approaching Batman, here is someone in the right corner. Who is it????

Let the speculation begin.
    www.joe.ie reportedly had a photo claiming to show Robin Williams as Hugo Strange in The Dark Knight Rises early today, but the photo has since been removed...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

-The Insider-

Hmmmmm

Turn Off Ads?