Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Braves vs Reds 7-24-2011

Re: Braves vs Reds 7-24-2011

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Glad for the end to the no-back-to-back-win streak.

But did anybody catch the ESPN Game of the Week stats that Kelch just mentioned. I was only half listening, but I think he said that until tonight, we were 0-for Great American, and last won an ESPN Sunday game in 1992 at Riverfront.

Also, counting all games, we lost 8 or so GotW appearances. Which is a function of not being invited onto ESPN' s Sunday game, but also indicates epic levels of Suck by the Redlegs...

Did anybody get all those ESPN GotW stats and want to reshare them? I almost couldn't believe my ears, so I'd love to have them recorded for posterity (and so I can fact-check them, if I still don't believe them once somebody re-shares them)....

Rick

The Reds are 8-16 after last nights win on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball

Prior to last night the Reds last win on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball was on 8-13-2000 vs Cubs @ Wrigley.

The last Reds ESPN Sunday Night Baseball win at home was 6-14-1992 vs the Dodgers.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 07-25-2011 at 11:52 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Phillips was not even covering first to nab the runner.
    I didn't want to repeat something that was in the game thread. I was disturbed by some good ESPN camera work. I was upset when Hernandez did not give a better effort to block the pitch in the dirt that allowed McLouth to advance into scoring position. I thought, "I can't stand Yadier Molina, but you can never say it was lack of effort if one gets by him." Hernandez did not even go to his knees or shift, just barely put the glove out. His only defense would be "I was crossed up."

Then, when I saw the right play made to get the trailing runner except Brandon was standing watching the play instead of rotating, then was too late once he got back into the play, I was very upset. Votto had him hung out to dry, but Brandon was late getting there, and it was because he was standing doing nothing on the hit to CF. Make the flashy, rangy plays, great, but also get your fundamentals plays right too.

Those two plays, late in a one run game, require better efforts than that. And perhaps it is things like that where you are just a bit sloppy, where the game is decided. I'm not a big "little things" guy, but I am a big "did you do your best?" type of guy. Neither or those things were about ability, but they were about effort, and sometimes that can win/lose a ballgame.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Those two plays, late in a one run game, require better efforts than that. And perhaps it is things like that where you are just a bit sloppy, where the game is decided. I'm not a big "little things" guy, but I am a big "did you do your best?" type of guy. Neither or those things were about ability, but they were about effort, and sometimes that can win/lose a ballgame.
    I don't know if that was lack of effort. Seems pretty basic I know, and I'm not sure how a ML player doesn't instinctively rotate, but BP's been caught napping a time or two this season already. Think it's just another case of that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I don't know if that was lack of effort. Seems pretty basic I know, and I'm not sure how a ML player doesn't instinctively rotate, but BP's been caught napping a time or two this season already. Think it's just another case of that.
    I would consider lack of concentration a lack of effort. Effort is not just physical performance, but also staying mentally sharp while on the job. It isn't "being lazy," its failing to stay focused, which requires effort. You stay focused, then you aren't standing there watching the play, you're getting to where you're supposed to be.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?