Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 8.3.11 Reds @ Astros

Re: 8.3.11 Reds @ Astros

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    I would have batted Heisey there as well. But it never ever should have come to that. The veterans on this team are a mental drag. I can't wait for September call ups.
    Even Votto with the brain fart. Masset is just awful lately, Phillips is just not hitting the ball. Shortstop is a mess. Bruce and Stubbs are disappointing, left field is a mess, and Hanigan come to earth. That's not even mentioning the pitching staff, with especially the relief guys falling off a cliff. Starters give us 3 quality starts with a 2.47 ERA while the bullpen gives up 4 runs in 4 innings. Over. Time to plan for next year.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Even Votto with the brain fart. Masset is just awful lately, Phillips is just not hitting the ball. Shortstop is a mess. Bruce and Stubbs are disappointing, left field is a mess, and Hanigan come to earth. That's not even mentioning the pitching staff, with especially the relief guys falling off a cliff. Starters give us 3 quality starts with a 2.47 ERA while the bullpen gives up 4 runs in 4 innings. Over. Time to plan for next year.
    So, wait, what you're saying is they aren't right on the verge of busting out?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    So, wait, what you're saying is they aren't right on the verge of busting out?
    Maybe the are and maybe they're not. I'm not a bit wishy-washy. But one thing is for sure, they won't be going post-season, so it's the future not this year.

Short answer: NO.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    All professional coaches are fired, esp. in this age. There is always time for a change, but Dusty at this stage is most likely not the problem. But, I guess we could fire him now, get some dead cat bounce and finish above .500. Yippee!! Then what?
    IMO, he should have never been hired.

IMO, he should have never been overpaid $3.5M a year.

IMO, He should have never been given an extension.

I don't care about the other stuff. This team is done this year. With that said, what makes anyone think it will be different next year with Dusty at the helm? Why should he get all these years and a guy like Mackanin didn't?

I'm not being knee jerk. I couldn't care less if they fired him now. It wouldn't matter. But if ever there was a reason to fire a manager, I would think this would be it. Otherwise there would be no reason to ever fire anyone.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 08-03-2011 at 11:29 PM.

The Reds need an above average starter and Chapman to be an upgrade over Arroyo in the rotation and they are back to contending in 2012. Changing the manager would just show cluelessness on the part of the organization, and I think they're smarter than that.
    My opinion is that they are farther away from contending as far as puzzle pieces go than you believe. And it's just my opinion. Yes, they need a solid starter. Maybe an ace, maybe a 2, but certainly a consistent, proven hurler. But until Mes comes up and produces (if he does), catcher is a sore spot with me as is LF, SS and 3B. All of those spots may be addressed from within. Maybe not. I'd love to see Votto move to LF and throw Alonso at 1B. Give Cozart the rest of this year post injury for an audition, and get Francisco up once he's able in case they operate on Rolen's good shoulder by mistake. I'd let Mes catch 60% of the games from this point out. This team went into 2011 with way too many ?'s (which is why I picked them to finish below .500) and I'd hate to se them not get a chance to answer some of those in the last 2 months of this year.

Does Votto seem disinterested on the filed more often than not...... this year?

I know he cannot be perfect but he has had some lapses on the field and in some throws.....that I have not seen him do all the years he has been here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Does Votto seem disinterested on the filed more often than not...... this year?

I know he cannot be perfect but he has had some lapses on the field and in some throws.....that I have not seen him do all the years he has been here.
    Frustrated more like it. Although the knock on Votto coming up was that he was not even an average 1B. So maybe we expect a little better play out of him than we should.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    My opinion is that they are farther away from contending as far as puzzle pieces go than you believe. And it's just my opinion. Yes, they need a solid starter. Maybe an ace, maybe a 2, but certainly a consistent, proven hurler. But until Mes comes up and produces (if he does), catcher is a sore spot with me as is LF, SS and 3B. All of those spots may be addressed from within. Maybe not. I'd love to see Votto move to LF and throw Alonso at 1B. Give Cozart the rest of this year post injury for an audition, and get Francisco up once he's able in case they operate on Rolen's good shoulder by mistake. I'd let Mes catch 60% of the games from this point out. This team went into 2011 with way too many ?'s (which is why I picked them to finish below .500) and I'd hate to se them not get a chance to answer some of those in the last 2 months of this year.

I agree with this very much. I also do not see baker as the manager to take this thing forward.

Why do I have to agree? Dusty is not the problem, and he wasn't in RZ World this year even until they started struggling.
    No, that's your opinion. I think he's been sub par most of the season.

The Reds need an above average starter and Chapman to be an upgrade over Arroyo in the rotation and they are back to contending in 2012. Changing the manager would just show cluelessness on the part of the organization, and I think they're smarter than that.
    Oh so improvements can be made to the lineup, but not the manager? You act like Dusty has the market cornered on good managing, that his style is sure to work with a few tweaks. Of course Dusty isnt the main reason why the Reds are this lousy. But this team clearly has been uninspired for some time. Fire him now? I never said that. Besides what's the point unless he and Walt aren't on the sam page. Consider replacing him in the offseason? What has he done to prevent you from considering it?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    No, that's your opinion. I think he's been sub par most of the season.

Oh so improvements can be made to the lineup, but not the manager? You act like Dusty has the market cornered on good managing, that his style is sure to work with a few tweaks. Of course Dusty isnt the main reason why the Reds are this lousy. But this team clearly has been uninspired for some time. Fire him now? I never said that. Besides what's the point unless he and Walt aren't on the sam page. Consider replacing him in the offseason? What has he done to prevent you from considering it?
    Improve the starting rotation, then if they are still "uninspired," start looking at a managerial change.

My entire point is wrapped around how "fire the manager" rarely is the real solution, and is rarely even a start to the solution. It is often a move to make it appear that someone in charge is doing something to change things. I saw enough of that garbage during the Lindner regime to last me a lifetime. They loved the scapegoat.

Get Dusty better players, esp. pitching, esp. starting pitching, and it would be amazing how "inspired" the team looks.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?