Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 80 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

What am I listening to? (Part II)

Might as well start a new thread --

O.A.R's new album "King" is out. After their last album (the very uneven "All Sides") left me feeling very indifferent, I have to say this is much more like it.

Solid disc. I need to listen more over the weekend.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Time is the Revelator.

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

‪M83 - Midnight City‬‏ - YouTube

An epic synthpop, disco-inflected banger for the ages. The M83 double LP at the end of the year is by far my most anticipated album coming up.

Love the sax climax.

Local Cincinnati boys Foxy Shazam. Their cover of Nirvana's "Drain You" from the SPIN-produced tribute album Newermind is absolutely amazing.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Might as well start a new thread --

O.A.R's new album "King" is out. After their last album (the very uneven "All Sides") left me feeling very indifferent, I have to say this is much more like it.

Solid disc. I need to listen more over the weekend.
    4 of the 5 members grew up in my neighborhood in Maryland.
    Where we gonna go?

Time is the Revelator.

-The Insider-

Lil' Wayne's new album, Tha Carter IV, leaked tonight. He takes shots at Jay-Z in one of his songs. It's gonna get real.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Lil' Wayne's new album, Tha Carter IV, leaked tonight. He takes shots at Jay-Z in one of his songs. It's gonna get real.
    Lil Wayne wishes he was Jay-Z's chauffeur. Nobody comes close to Jay-Z's business mind in hip-hop.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

What's a Carter? Is this an old-timey music album, like the Carter Family used to do?

Hip hop? That seems like a strange genre for someone who's obsessed with the Carter Family. Oh well, keep on the sunny side.

The Horrible Crowes "Behold The Hurricane" - YouTube

Anybody else itching to pick up Elsie in ten days?

Thanks for posting that. I'd been trying to remember what they called themselves ever since I heard the Gaslight Anthem guy singing something else....

Anyone like Crowded House/Split Enz? Neil Finn is one the best songwriters of this generation IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Anyone like Crowded House/Split Enz? Neil Finn is one the best songwriters of this generation IMO.
    Neil's got a new side project with his wife-- I think its called the Pajamas Club
    Where we gonna go?

I lived in Sydney in 81-82, and the first real Australian song I heard on the radio was Split Enz 'One Step Ahead'. My immediate thought was, 'man, they've got something special going on here.'

I never really understood why Split Enz didn't catch on in the US. Neil and Tim said in an interview while I was over there that everyone they met in the states told them how much they loved them, then when they looked at record sales, they figured that the Enz must be the biggest victim of illegal recording in the history of the industry!

I was happy when Crowded House took off, even if they're popularity wasn't sustainable. At least after that I didn't get weird looks when I talked about them.

fwiw, my favorite Split Enz song was Tim Finn's 'Dirty Creature'. As someone who has fought depression all my life, I thought he caught the cycle of darkness beautifully.

another side note--that song was released while I was in Sydney, but the video shows edited out Tim's decapitation, which seems silly when you go back and watch the video now.

Turn Off Ads?