Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 82 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    My favorite cover of all time. I can't even listen to it on most occasions, too eerily great... Not a song to hum along with

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

New Why? album has leaked. Pretty solid.

The piano band that rocks, Ben Folds Five, is back. Love the new single "Do It Anyway".

Got my tickets for when the come to Stubbs later this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Animal Collective has a new album out. These guys are raved about by all the music critics and fans but I just can't get them. I don't need a great melody and hook to enjoy music...as bland as it may sound I love Pink Floyd and enjoy Radiohead's "odder" songs. But as much as I try to listen and "get" AC, I can't. It sounds muddled to me...though I really enjoy "Some Girls".

If it is just music that is great to get high to, I can totally get that...so tell me if that is the case. No offense intended by that.

Any fans on here that care to add anything? Help me at least understand the love these guys get. (Without making me feel lame )

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Animal Collective has a new album out. These guys are raved about by all the music critics and fans but I just can't get them. I don't need a great melody and hook to enjoy music...as bland as it may sound I love Pink Floyd and enjoy Radiohead's "odder" songs. But as much as I try to listen and "get" AC, I can't. It sounds muddled to me...though I really enjoy "Some Girls".

If it is just music that is great to get high to, I can totally get that...so tell me if that is the case. No offense intended by that.

Any fans on here that care to add anything? Help me at least understand the love these guys get. (Without making me feel lame )
    For me, Animal Collective is a pretty good band, but they're overrated by a lot of people and publications. All their albums range from 'good' to 'very good', but they haven't released a great record. I think their hype mainly comes from their unique-yet-attainable sound. They're certainly not bad--far from it--but aside from their sound, they're not all that special either.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    For me, Animal Collective is a pretty good band, but they're overrated by a lot of people and publications. All their albums range from 'good' to 'very good', but they haven't released a great record. I think their hype mainly comes from their unique-yet-attainable sound. They're certainly not bad--far from it--but aside from their sound, they're not all that special either.
    I think their appeal is that they brought a noisy electronic sound to the popular indie crowd. You can see where there musical interests lie in who they affiliate themselves with, namely abrasive noise bands like Black Dice. It helped that they started strange and discordant and grew progressively more palatable, allowing the hype to build. Haven't listened to Centipede Hrz yet, but for my money Strawberry Jam and Feels are their best albums.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think their appeal is that they brought a noisy electronic sound to the popular indie crowd. You can see where there musical interests lie in who they affiliate themselves with, namely abrasive noise bands like Black Dice. It helped that they started strange and discordant and grew progressively more palatable, allowing the hype to build. Haven't listened to Centipede Hrz yet, but for my money Strawberry Jam and Feels are their best albums.
    Ha, what do you know? A post on Redszone that relates to my user name!

I personally love Animal Collective because from album to album their sound morphs greatly while still retaining their core "trademark" sound. Throughout their discography they've released such unique and diverse records incorporating numerous genres.

They are definitely a band that will always have people on both ends of the love/hate spectrum. If I could sum up why I enjoy their music so much, it has to be the brilliant balance of uglieness and beauty.

I enjoy putting the song Alvin Row on at bars just to see the reaction...
    Last edited by Banshee Beat; 09-05-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    "Do you think Scott Hatteberg is a good player?"
    -Adam Dunn, speaking on the Banana Phone with Marty Brennaman

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Beat View Post
    Ha, what do you know? A post on Redszone that relates to my user name!

I personally love Animal Collective because from album to album their sound morphs greatly while still retaining their core "trademark" sound. Throughout their discography they've released such unique and diverse records incorporating numerous genres.

They are definitely a band that will always have people on both ends of the love/hate spectrum. If I could sum up why I enjoy their music so much, it has to be the brilliant balance of uglieness and beauty.

I enjoy putting the song Alvin Row on at bars just to see the reaction...

Anybody else a Green Day fan? They are putting out three new albums, Uno, Dos, and Tre, in the next 4 months. I simply cannot wait. They have already put out some singles from Uno.

Bob Mould's recently released Silver Age kicks ass (even though he looks like my geology professor these days):

Bob Mould - The Descent - David Letterman 9-4-12 - YouTube

Beach house wild 1
    Jay z no church in the wild 2
    Broken social scene forced to love 9
    White hinterland Icarus 8
    Beatles hey bulldog 11
    Of monsters and men mountain sound
    The Blue Van-There Goes My 13
    The Features-That's how it starts 12
    Jimmy Eat World-Your new aesthetic demo 4
    Dr dog hang on 14
    M83 outro 16
    Mumford and sons I will wait 7
    Grizzly bear ready, able 11
    My moon my man Feist grizzly bear remix 15
    Radiohead back drifts

My latest September mix. Outro might be my song of the year. I like to mix in some old and new

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    Anybody else a Green Day fan? They are putting out three new albums, Uno, Dos, and Tre, in the next 4 months. I simply cannot wait. They have already put out some singles from Uno.
    I used to be...then they got obviously political.

I guess punk at it's core is sticking it to the man....I just didn't care for them getting specific

I really liked Pinhead Gunpowder

I'm a big Bob Mould fan, but honestly, his new album doesn't do a whole lot for me. There are a few great cuts on there though. Lately, I'm listening to the newest albums from these artists:
    Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
    The Avett Brothers
    Bob Dylan
    Swans
    The xx

I'm going to pick up Cat Power's new album this week, too. I was really disappointed by The Raveonettes' last album, so I'm probably going to give it a listen before I consider buying it. Has anyone here heard it yet? If so, what did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm a big Bob Mould fan, but honestly, his new album doesn't do a whole lot for me. There are a few great cuts on there though. Lately, I'm listening to the newest albums from these artists:
    Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
    The Avett Brothers
    Bob Dylan
    Swans
    The xx

I'm going to pick up Cat Power's new album this week, too. I was really disappointed by The Raveonettes' last album, so I'm probably going to give it a listen before I consider buying it. Has anyone here heard it yet? If so, what did you think?
    I've heard the xx is much too slow compared to their debut . Are you in the same boat?

Turn Off Ads?