Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 82 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I like the Arctic Monkeys. I had no clue who they were a couple of months ago, but I'm glad I discovered them.
    Whatever People Say I Am Thats What I'm Not is one of my all-time faves. Haven't been as in love with their more pop-oriented sound of late...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I finally got the Beck album (Beck did not make enough copies of this album!!) and I have to say I don't think I'm as into it as most everybody else. Maybe I was building it up too much in my head or am comparing it (unfavorably) too much to Sea Change. I think it's fine, it's just not blowing me away. Pretty but maybe a little bland. Maybe I just need to listen to it more.

For the last several months my obsession has been Josh White. If you don't know him, you guys have to look this guy up or at least read his wikipedia page..just a jaw-dropping life story. From Jim Crow life to BFFs with the Roosevelts, gospel singing, fleeing McCarthyism, you name it. Krazy Glue was invented for his fingernails!! What?!?

I had known his cover of Waltzing Matilda for years but that was about it. Then last summer I picked up a live album of his for a dollar and it was just incredible. He followed a similar musical formula for a lot of his songs, but was an absolutely arresting storyteller and very solid guitarist. The thing I've been listening to most recently is an album he did with Al Hall, which has a jazzier feel than a lot of his other stuff which veers bluesy and folky, and it's spectacular. I love this guy. Look him up.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-23-2014)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I finally got the Beck album (Beck did not make enough copies of this album!!) and I have to say I don't think I'm as into it as most everybody else. Maybe I was building it up too much in my head or am comparing it (unfavorably) too much to Sea Change. I think it's fine, it's just not blowing me away. Pretty but maybe a little bland. Maybe I just need to listen to it more.

For the last several months my obsession has been Josh White. If you don't know him, you guys have to look this guy up or at least read his wikipedia page..just a jaw-dropping life story. From Jim Crow life to BFFs with the Roosevelts, gospel singing, fleeing McCarthyism, you name it. Krazy Glue was invented for his fingernails!! What?!?

I had known his cover of Waltzing Matilda for years but that was about it. Then last summer I picked up a live album of his for a dollar and it was just incredible. He followed a similar musical formula for a lot of his songs, but was an absolutely arresting storyteller and very solid guitarist. The thing I've been listening to most recently is an album he did with Al Hall, which has a jazzier feel than a lot of his other stuff which veers bluesy and folky, and it's spectacular. I love this guy. Look him up.
    The Beck album doesn't GRAB you (outside of maybe Blue Moon) or have the novelty of being his first slow & dreary 'acoustic' album like Sea Change did...but it's pretty solid. I still listen to it on occasion and enjoyed it the more I listened. It's good background or headphone music that sneaks into your subconscious until you start recalling the melodies and craving certain songs.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

not gonna lie....Frozen soundtrack....my kids have been in bed for hours, but there are three songs I just can't escape, and one I identify with waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too much.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Been going back and listening to this album a lot. For some reason, it's sounds even better on rainy nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The Beck album doesn't GRAB you (outside of maybe Blue Moon) or have the novelty of being his first slow & dreary 'acoustic' album like Sea Change did...but it's pretty solid. I still listen to it on occasion and enjoyed it the more I listened. It's good background or headphone music that sneaks into your subconscious until you start recalling the melodies and craving certain songs.
    I haven't listened to the new one but I'm glad you mentioned "slow & dreary" Sea Change. What a bore. Midnight Vultures was so excellent, but just too dang catchy for the High Fidelity types. I really hate the authenticity game with rock wags.

1. Acoustic album? -- pure gold, dont' even need to listen to it.

2. Harmonies? -- drivel, we can accept Pet Sounds but that's it.

3. Gararge rock? --- fantastic, always.

4. High Production? -- terrible, until maybe 30 years later when it can be celebrated (i.e. Phil Spector)

5. Danceable? -- we don't dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I haven't listened to the new one but I'm glad you mentioned "slow & dreary" Sea Change. What a bore. Midnight Vultures was so excellent, but just too dang catchy for the High Fidelity types. I really hate the authenticity game with rock wags.

1. Acoustic album? -- pure gold, dont' even need to listen to it.

2. Harmonies? -- drivel, we can accept Pet Sounds but that's it.

3. Gararge rock? --- fantastic, always.

4. High Production? -- terrible, until maybe 30 years later when it can be celebrated (i.e. Phil Spector)

5. Danceable? -- we don't dance.
    I love both Midnite Vultures and Sea Change; they're easily my two favorite Beck albums in fact. What does that do to your algorithm?

I don't know what you mean by the "authenticity game" exactly. Sometimes people just like what they like. I am more into music than just about anything else, probably, but I really balk at the accusation of being a snob or an assumption that whatever I happen to like or not like comes from anything but a place of sincerity. Modren garage rock, "fantastic, always"? I worship the Strokes, loathe the White Stripes. I can specify reasons why if asked, but it's really just a matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I like the Arctic Monkeys. I had no clue who they were a couple of months ago, but I'm glad I discovered them.
    Seeing them at Red Rocks in September. I've been there, but haven't seen a concert there yet. Pretty excited about it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I love both Midnite Vultures and Sea Change; they're easily my two favorite Beck albums in fact. What does that do to your algorithm?
    Looking back at my post, I think I mounted my High Horse pretty quickly. My apologies. I was reliving arguments I used to have years ago on a music forum that was filled with dingleberries who'd nerdsplain to me how the Animals were better than the Beatles.

Sure, some people just like what they like. But, IMO, life's too short for acoustic albums. A track or two, sure. But a whole album needs a good dose of rocking.

I've been trying for years to find an active music message board. Anybody have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I've been trying for years to find an active music message board. Anybody have any recommendations?
    http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

It's a British site but there are a lot of Yanks and others on there. Little too much into Prog-Rock for me but a good bunch anyhow.

loathe the White Stripes.
    Blasphemy!

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-09-2014),marcshoe (05-09-2014),Redhook (05-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Blasphemy!
    Loathe. LOATHE.

A preening, showy, inauthentic singer paired with a drummer of very little skill. It's fine for an art house project but it isn't music.

I think Jack White is very talented but with that particular project of his, I could not get past the facade. I might have liked them better if they had played it straight and let the music just exist. I read an interview of his early on in which he cited the blues as his major influence -- the blues of all things, the most gut-wrenching, visceral, unadorned, unpretentious musical genre there is. I do not think I can think of a musical artist today who embodies that less than Jack White.

Julian Casablancas, on the other hand, can write a pop song like nobody's business with very little artifice about it. The Strokes were a pop band plain and simple, an excellent one, and that those two bands were so frequently mentioned in the same breath always boggled my mind.

Turn Off Ads?