Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I've only had one quasi-preoccupied listen, but I got the impression it was a little less bluesy than past affairs.

Are The Black Keys moving towards a more classic rock sound?
    I don't know how you want to describe it, but to me it takes all of the best aspects of Brothers and packs them into 11 fast-paced songs (I felt Brothers suffered from a bloated amount of tracks)...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm really looking forward to buying The Black Keys and Chevelle cd's tomorrow. Two of my favorite bands. And, from what I've already heard, they're both going to be great albums.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Couple of new downloads off of Itunes:
    The Horrible Crows 'Elsie' - Was looking around to see when The Gaslight Anthem is due out for a new album. Saw their front man had a new album out and checked it out. It is much darker than Gaslight but Brian Fallon has a fantastic voice.

Amos Lee 'Mission Bell' - Really like his voice. It is a little dark as well, definitely not a roll your windows down and drive type of album. But good music none the less.

Crazy Heart Soundtrack - Good combination of country voices in this album.

Zac Brown Band - For my money probably the best two country albums I have listened to in a long time.

Jason Aldean - A quality country album, if you like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Amos Lee 'Mission Bell' - Really like his voice. It is a little dark as well, definitely not a roll your windows down and drive type of album. But good music none the less.
    Which is a bit ironic, given that Windows Are Rolled Down....(a strangely dark song itself).

I've been an Amos Lee fan for years, and some of the stuff on this album really gets me. Music for someone who is getting older and starting to feel the impact of what's gone before.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Which is a bit ironic, given that Windows Are Rolled Down....(a strangely dark song itself).

I've been an Amos Lee fan for years, and some of the stuff on this album really gets me. Music for someone who is getting older and starting to feel the impact of what's gone before.
    Yea Windows Are Rolled Down is a great song. I just started to listen to him and I do find some irony in it. I often don't feel the impact of songs but I can see what you are saying. I do find it ironic when I begin to sing the lyrics and find myself saying "did he really sing that?"

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I've only had one quasi-preoccupied listen, but I got the impression it was a little less bluesy than past affairs.

Are The Black Keys moving towards a more classic rock sound?
    I saw them on SNL last weekend, and they seemed to be playing heavier, blues-based rock.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Having listened to it seven or eight times already, I have concluded that El Camino is the awesome...
    I agree, it's fantastic. There's not a bad song on the album. And the 7th track, Sister, is so good I could listen to it all day. One of the best songs I've heard. From any band.

I also like how they sound like The White Stripes a bit, especially in the 4th track, Little Black Submarines. I can't wait to see them live again someday.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I can't wait to see them live again someday.
    Good news: they'll be in Cincy (with another of my favorite bands, Arctic Monkeys, in support) on March 2nd...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Good news: they'll be in Cincy (with another of my favorite bands, Arctic Monkeys, in support) on March 2nd...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Lots of Florence and the Machine as of late.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
    The Black Keys - El Camino
    M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
    Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
    Dispatch - Gut the Van
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The new Girls album is quite satisfying.

As to this Wilco discussion....no doubt YHF is a 10/10...and I actually LOVED Wilco - The Album, A Ghost is Born, Sky Blue Sky, etc - suffice it to say I am a huge Wilco guy. But I was wholly disappointed in The Whole Love. I just didn't get it. A couple of tracks tickled my fancy but as a whole, I didn't love it. Wow, that was corny.

I agree Jay Farrar is underwhelming live but, for my money, Uncle Tupelo is one of the best, most important bands in the last 20 years...at least for those of us who enjoy alt-country/indie rock.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I'm sure many can chirp off a list of albums to dispute this, but I've found 2011 to be a subpar year in regards to new music. And its not the end of the world, more just a timing thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm sure many can chirp off a list of albums to dispute this, but I've found 2011 to be a subpar year in regards to new music. And its not the end of the world, more just a timing thing for me.
    Yeah, I'm going through those "best of" lists and not seeing much I enjoyed. Seems like it was an even more heavy electronic/hip-hop year than in the past. Lots of big name bands from my high school days released really unimpressive records too...

I've been enjoying Airborne Toxic Event. That dude is so melodramatic, it makes me laugh, but those songs really get in my head.

I also like the catchy Britrock/pop of Wolf Gang - songs like "The King and All of His Men" and "Lions in Cages."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?