Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 82 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post

How can you go wrong with a group that's heavily influenced by ELO, has recorded with Debbie Gibson, and is named after the largest type of UFO (Big Black Delta)?
    Is that a rhetorical question?

Similar to "Can 50,000,000 Bon Jovi fans be wrong?"

2. Likes:

jojo (05-01-2016),marcshoe (05-01-2016),Razor Shines (05-02-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

In the bag for all things (save Monastic Living EP) Parquet Courts. New album is great. Eclectic, equal parts angular art rock and punk rock.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-11-2016),TheBigLebowski (05-08-2016)

They call me "chef"

Monastic Living really soured me on the band. The way they promoted it as their 'Rough Trade debut' without sharing any music from it before release and without letting fans know that its not a conventional release was a bit too cute and deceiving for me. I know many people who were really bummed that they spent $15-20 on what they thought was their favorite band's new music and were instead handed a piece of meta performance art.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Monastic Living really soured me on the band. The way they promoted it as their 'Rough Trade debut' without sharing any music from it before release and without letting fans know that its not a conventional release was a bit too cute and deceiving for me. I know many people who were really bummed that they spent $15-20 on what they thought was their favorite band's new music and were instead handed a piece of meta performance art.
    It was a bummer, no doubt. And while I don't enjoy it, I can appreciate a band putting out an experimental or unlistenable album. It signals a band not resting on its laurels, at least making an effort to push into new musical territory. While it rarely ever results in good music I think it benefits a band's growth.

The only thing that's a bigger bummer than an experimental album is a band putting out the same album year after year. And while Human Performance isn't terribly different from Light Up Gold, it does include enough variation to keep it interesting. I think some of that evolution can be attributed to the dirges and performative catharsis on Monastic Living.

Also, how can you not get behind an album that includes lines like "Parallel, never crossing. Those lines go straight as hell." Such idiotic brilliance.

They call me "chef"

I think, if you want to put out a palette cleanser experimental EP, which is totally fine for any band to do, you say "Hey, we're putting out an EP of more experimental instrumental tracks that won't fit on our next full length". The EP was available for pre-order for a month before it was even referenced that the songs were all instrumental and under 2 minutes long- and that info was only shared when the first reviews were published the day before the EP was released. PC purposefully kept the description about the EP vague so that they could force a strong reaction and justify the 'statement' of the EP ("being critically acclaimed and labeled by the public is a curse! We will take a vow of silence even if it upsets them!") and Rough Trade gladly did the same, although my feeling is that Rough Trade kept hush hush so that they could squeeze more pre-order sales before people realized this is a curiosity release and not a proper EP. /end bitter rant

9. Likes:

BillDoran (05-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Youre old.
    I prefer the term, "retro".

My ex describes me as being "very 20th century".
    Last edited by Big Klu; 05-02-2016 at 03:13 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (05-09-2016)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

13. Likes:

Kilgore_Trout (05-03-2016)

Love every single thing about this song and vid. Takes me back.

I can't even.

They call me "chef"

New Radiohead is worth waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    New Radiohead is worth waiting for.
    I may not sleep tonight. 2 PM tomorrow feels like a lifetime away.

Daydreaming is instantly one of their best songs, though. And that Paul Thomas Anderson video is one of the most striking, emotional and just plain greatest videos I've ever seen.
    I didn't think Radiohead could find a new way to reinvent themselves again, but I guess that's why they're Radiohead and I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I may not sleep tonight. 2 PM tomorrow feels like a lifetime away.

Daydreaming is instantly one of their best songs, though. And that Paul Thomas Anderson video is one of the most striking, emotional and just plain greatest videos I've ever seen.
    I didn't think Radiohead could find a new way to reinvent themselves again, but I guess that's why they're Radiohead and I'm not.
    Hmmm. . . maybe you should clarify who the Thom quoted in your sig is.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

amoonshapedpool.com

I'm speechless.

They call me "chef"

I'm gonna wait to order a regular LP version when it's released through the normal channels but I'll probably find a way to hear the album later today. Early reaction is overwhelmingly positive.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I fully recommend Jim O'Rourke as an artist but if experimental
    albums throw you, peruse any purchase of his carefully.

Start with Simple Songs and work cautiously backwards.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?