Turn Off Ads?
Page 75 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1218

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Actually, Tony met Sam in about 1970 when they both lived in Louisville and Sam was playing with the Bluegrass Alliance. Tony played with them for a while (probably a couple of months), and then the group disbanded and Sam formed the Newgrass Revival. Tony hooked up with Crowe, Skaggs, etc since they were living right in the area. I have some old tapes of Tony when he played with the Alliance, and although his voice was immature, his guitar playing already showed some signature trademarks.

Although my first love in the blues, my dad loved bluegrass and French-Canadian fiddling, and I played with him all the time growing up. I bought an old D28 when I was 15 or so, but then when Martin came out with the HD28 in '77, I sold it and bought one of the first ones because I wanted a guitar just like Tony's. We take them for granted now, but before Martin released the new HD's, there were precious few herringbones out there with the scallop bracing that had that incredible sound.

Thanks for that post. It brought up some old memories.
    Thank YOU for filling in the gap. Speaking of Sam Bush, we saw him on 3/13. A great show. Here he is with his long time guitarist Stephen Mougin, on Sam's classic.

I've never played a Martin, not that it would help. I was fortunate enough to snag a weird Washburn that was made by Tacoma, when Washburn was trying to resurrect their reputation after getting caught labeling Korean guitars Made in America. Soild top, rosewood back and sides. It has a nice sound. Got it at a music store that was liquidating, but the real find was an early Rattlesnake mandolin my wife bought there. It's rare, one of Olin Davis' early A styles. Number 008.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Been listening to this guy for a little while. He gets lumped in/labled country but lot of different genres i suppose he get get put in .
    He's a very authentic brand of country. It's everyone else who is being lumped in with him.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

4. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (06-07-2020)

Becoming obsessed with Manchester Orchestra

Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

6. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (04-09-2019)

The new Vampire Weekend double album is pretty good, but as with most really long albums, it would have been a lot better if it had been shorter.

They call me "chef"

I Am Easy to Find.

It's some of the most and least National music they've ever written and I'm contemplating putting it near the top of their discography. They are on some R.E.M. next level career reinventing and extending trajectory and it's beautiful to watch and listen to. They might be exceeding R.E.M. actually, as they've been a band two decades and have yet to release their Monster or Up. I also don't think R.E.M. had the cajones in their prime to release an album with 3-4 songs featuring lead vocals by guest vocalists, like the National have done here, and I don't think R.E.M. would be able to be so musically identifiable that they could maintain their identity without Michael Stipe or Mike Mills leading the vocals. These still feel like National songs, even with guest vocalists leading them.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 05-14-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Say no more about IAETF. I'm saving it - every note - until release day tomorrow. I have the 3 disc limited edition colored vinyl on order, scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I'm going to listen to the entire thing at once.

I'd heard about the guest vocalists, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned by that. Berninger's baritone IS The National.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Say no more about IAETF. I'm saving it - every note - until release day tomorrow. I have the 3 disc limited edition colored vinyl on order, scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I'm going to listen to the entire thing at once.

I'd heard about the guest vocalists, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned by that. Berninger's baritone IS The National.
    Come back once you've heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Oh, I will.

I'm catching them in St Augustine on June 18th. Courtney Barrett is opening. Saw them there last year in May. Best live show I've ever seen.

Name:  E3A22D26-1892-496F-B7EF-135757974E3B.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  259.1 KB

I have a 45 minute commute to work every morning, which gave me time to listen to about half.

I usually can't get a great feel for an album until the 2nd or 3rd time I've heard it, and I didn't even get through the whole thing, so these are incomplete thoughts.

Can definitely tell this will be a record that will grow on me. Sometimes it's obvious.

I love the music and the arrangements of the songs I heard. Very National.

I can't say I'm crazy about the influx of other vocalists. I was expecting someone new to sing lead 3-4 times, but there's a guest vocalist on every track. It almost felt like I was listening to Everything But The Girl for a bit. That scared me coming in, and it was a little worse than I thought. I don't know whom any of them are as I didn't read the liner notes, and they all had pleasant voices. National tunes can use some female accompaniment now and then. But it's overkill on this album imo.

So, I'm not thrilled, but I am enjoying it. Once I hear the entire record and have a chance to fully digest it, I'll be able to flesh out my thoughts a little more.

This review kinda captures it for me:

What separates I Am Not Hard to Find though is how it brings in additional artists to take the concrete sound of the band to new heights. And while not every collaboration hits the nail on the head, it's about time the National expand their sound in different directions. This doubles as a plus and negative, as I Am Not Hard to Find starts to suffer when how little of Berninger you get. The emphasis on the additional female vocals from Sharon Van Etten and Lisa Hannigan (“The Pull of You”) or even the Brooklyn Youth Chorus contributing to three songs (“Underwater,” “Dust Swirls in Strange Light”, “Her Father in the Pool”). It makes I Am Not Hard to Find feel overstuffed, brimming with texture and grandness, but still guest-heavy that forces to the loss of identity from the National.

Oh, I will.

I'm catching them in St Augustine on June 18th. Courtney Barrett is opening. Saw them there last year in May. Best live show I've ever seen.
    The show was incredible. Seeing most of IAETF live gave me a different perspective on the album. Still not my favorite but I like it a lot more now. Lisa Hannigan is touring with them, which helps.

I hope they keep coming to St. Aug.

They call me "chef"

The show was incredible. Seeing most of IAETF live gave me a different perspective on the album. Still not my favorite but I like it a lot more now. Lisa Hannigan is touring with them, which helps.

I hope they keep coming to St. Aug.
    I think seeing the songs live does help. I haven't struggled at all enjoying the new record but I do know that many people find it sparse or lacking and, watching it live, you get to see exactly what's going on. You have the drummers adding their backbone, one of the twins on piano building the foreground, another twin adding quite a bit more guitar than you'd expect, and you get to see Matt exist at the front of the stage even when he's not singing. :-) Everyone is there, working and playing. They're just expending a lot less energy on superfluous activity in between the necessary notes.

18. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (06-20-2019)

I think seeing the songs live does help. I haven't struggled at all enjoying the new record but I do know that many people find it sparse or lacking and, watching it live, you get to see exactly what's going on. You have the drummers adding their backbone, one of the twins on piano building the foreground, another twin adding quite a bit more guitar than you'd expect, and you get to see Matt exist at the front of the stage even when he's not singing. :-) Everyone is there, working and playing. They're just expending a lot less energy on superfluous activity in between the necessary notes.
    And that frenetic behavior is one of my favorite things about them. And they still exhibited it during the show - we got Fake Empire, Terrible Love, Brainy, The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness, Graceless, and several others.

Turn Off Ads?