Turn Off Ads?
Page 76 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2666727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1218

Thread: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Re: What am I listening to? (Part II)

Someone has the good sense to make some noise.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Thank YOU for filling in the gap. Speaking of Sam Bush, we saw him on 3/13. A great show. Here he is with his long time guitarist Stephen Mougin, on Sam's classic.

I've never played a Martin, not that it would help. I was fortunate enough to snag a weird Washburn that was made by Tacoma, when Washburn was trying to resurrect their reputation after getting caught labeling Korean guitars Made in America. Soild top, rosewood back and sides. It has a nice sound. Got it at a music store that was liquidating, but the real find was an early Rattlesnake mandolin my wife bought there. It's rare, one of Olin Davis' early A styles. Number 008.
    I've attended a number of MerleFests in North Carolina over the last decade, where Sam has been a regular since Doc Watson started the festival 30-some years ago. His band is always one the Saturday night slots but he picks and jams all day with other folks. Always a huge highlight for me. What I would give to see the Newgrass guys live in their hay day. Highly recommend MerleFest if you've never been.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Tyler Childers played a stunning set at the Opry last night:

"I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

5. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-21-2019),TheBigLebowski (07-19-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Tyler Childers played a stunning set at the Opry last night:

Can't wait to get his new album.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-21-2019)

Ugh. Listened to Country Squire in its entirety this morning. Not a fan. At all. It's a big swing & miss. Could have been titled "Tyler Childers Takes a Ham-Fisted Approach to Tired Country Tropes and Bores You to Death in 40 Minutes."
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 08-02-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Ugh. Listened to Country Squire in its entirety this morning. Not a fan. At all. It's a big swing & miss. Could have been titled "Tyler Childers Takes a Ham-Fisted Approach to Tired Country Tropes and Bores You to Death in 40 Minutes."
    Oooh, definitely don't agree with it as a "swing and miss." I think the first 5 tracks are really strong, especially "Bus Route," and then it gets a little repetitive by the second half. It's not as good as Purgatory, but second albums are always extremely tough—you've whittled down an early career's worth of music into 12 tracks and then have like a year to write a whole new one.

And even if I might have some quibbles with the songwriting, I think Country Squire sounds terrific. I'm loving the new dimension of the keys and the church music influence.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Oooh, definitely don't agree with it as a "swing and miss." I think the first 5 tracks are really strong, especially "Bus Route," and then it gets a little repetitive by the second half. It's not as good as Purgatory, but second albums are always extremely tough—you've whittled down an early career's worth of music into 12 tracks and then have like a year to write a whole new one.

And even if I might have some quibbles with the songwriting, I think Country Squire sounds terrific. I'm loving the new dimension of the keys and the church music influence.
    just bought this haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but the reviews seem to be mixed almost a you either love or hate it dont seem like much love in between .

Yeah, the production is fantastic (as is the cover art). I don't think it's as good as Purgatory, but I really like it. I actually like it better as it goes along. "Ever Lovin' Hand" and "Peace of Mind" especially.

Not ready to go that far YET! but after a casual listen i was pretty underwhelmed and really doubt i'll come back to it for at least awhile it took purgatory awhile to grow on me much preferred bottles and bibles . I listen to his live on red barn radio disc more than the other 2 . I'm More excited for the New whiskey Meyers disc .
    Last edited by cinredsfan2000; 08-04-2019 at 09:23 AM.

It's over-produced, which was my concern when I found out Sturgill Simpson was going to be heading it.

It's not a bad country album, but it's not Tyler Childers to me. And why do so many fans forget about Bottles & Bibles? CS is his 3rd album.

14. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (06-07-2020)

It's over-produced, which was my concern when I found out Sturgill Simpson was going to be heading it.

It's not a bad country album, but it's not Tyler Childers to me. And why do so many fans forget about Bottles & Bibles? CS is his 3rd album.
    Ok fair, but B&B was self-produced; Purgatory was his first label release and was full of the catalog he’d been playing for the last 7-8 years. My point was that this is his first record of all-new material, and that’s a tough project for every artist.

Did you think Purgatory was overproduced?

(Not trying to turn this into one of his Facebook fan page debates.)

BTW, the album release show Fromm Webster Hall is airing live on YouTube right now.

Ok fair, but B&B was self-produced; Purgatory was his first label release and was full of the catalog he’d been playing for the last 7-8 years. My point was that this is his first record of all-new material, and that’s a tough project for every artist.

Did you think Purgatory was overproduced?

(Not trying to turn this into one of his Facebook fan page debates.)

BTW, the album release show Fromm Webster Hall is airing live on YouTube right now.
    I caught some of that.

No, not at all, re: Purgatory.

Country Squire (the song) sounds like anything you'd hear on a pop country station. House on Fire is probably the best song on the album - or maybe Creeker - and they would have been afterthoughts on B&B or Purg. Ever Loving Hand is fun, but it should have been a b-side or a laugher he plays at live shows.

If you enjoy the album, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. It's just not what I wanted.

17. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (08-06-2019),WildcatFan (08-06-2019)

The new Hold Steady album is fantastic

They call me "chef"

Big Thief released one of the best albums of 2019 so far and they announced they are releasing a 2nd album in October. And the first single is so so good.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (08-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    The new Hold Steady album is fantastic

I really enjoyed Teeth Dreams. Best since Separation Sunday. I think this one may be a grower. I need to give it another spin.

Strangely enough, I cannot for the life of me get into Craig Finn's solo stuff.

Turn Off Ads?