Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 8/13/11 - Friars @ Redlegs

Re: 8/13/11 - Friars @ Redlegs

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I'm not complaining either but the time for guys like Cueto,Leake and Homer to be limited a bit should be here real soon.
    I thought the time for that was early in the season? if it is not early in the season and it's not now....then when is it?

Still hung up on that 100 pitch count?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe Jim Day should take over pbp for the rest of the season?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I thought the time for that was early in the season? if it is not early in the season and it's not now....then when is it?

Still hung up on that 100 pitch count?
    Not really.I'd would like to see the three guys I mentioned go into 2012 completely healthy.If there's anything that can be done to help get them there I'd be for it at this point.I'd say that one of the times you might be willing to make this a priority is at the end of the season when your team is out of it.Wouldn't you?

Here's the Box for tonights game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...e=box&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Not really.I'd would like to see the three guys I mentioned go into 2012 completely healthy.If there's anything that can be done to help get them there I'd be for it at this point.I'd say that one of the times you might be willing to make this a priority is at the end of the season when your team is out of it.Wouldn't you?

They have a tired bullpen beacuse many of these pitchers could not barely hit the 6-7 inning mark. Hard to believe, but they still think they can make a race out of this and not just play out the string.

Cueto and Bailey are a little older, and while I understand there has been health concerns with both this year...if they are healthy now, I think you can at least let them go into the 110 mark every now and then.

Leake I can understand the concern due to his 2nd year.

One of the things that may concern others but not me is that these pitchers are babied so much. I think it's mental toughness and the tradition that 100 pitches is the limit. Why is that guys like Jay, Purkey, O'Toole, Gibson, and others could throw 125 pitches and still be efective? Am I off base or is it a learned limit???
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

They have a tired bullpen beacuse many of these pitchers could not barely hit the 6-7 inning mark. Hard to believe, but they still think they can make a race out of this and not just play out the string.

Cueto and Bailey are a little older, and while I understand there has been health concerns with both this year...if they are healthy now, I think you can at least let them go into the 110 mark every now and then.

I didn't say it was time just that the time is likely coming.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    One of the things that may concern others but not me is that these pitchers are babied so much. I think it's mental toughness and the tradition that 100 pitches is the limit. Why is that guys like Jay, Purkey, O'Toole, Gibson, and others could throw 125 pitches and still be efective? Am I off base or is it a learned limit???
    You're also forgetting one thing: genetics. Some just have the physical ability to consistently throw a lot of pitches. Most don't.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The 7 HR's given up by Padre pitching tied their team record for most HR's in a game according to the Padre broadcasters. Two more would have tied a Reds record.
    Go for the sweep tomorrow and a five game winning streak.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Fun game downtown tonight! I think the guys are making up for the fact that I saw seven games down there in July and only two wins....my last two games there have both been double digit wins, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Especially considering how many innings they missed in the beginning of the seeason. They can go full out all year and still be below a normal year's total innings.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Pitch count limits are still somewhat controversial, but you just can't trot out old timers as the examples. This smacks too much like "when I was young, we walked five miles to school every day, up hill both ways."

For every Bob Gibson there are also a dozen guys like Gary Nolan, who had tons of potential, but blew out their arms from over use or misuse.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Turn Off Ads?