Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8/16/2011 Reds at Nats

8/16/2011 Reds at Nats

Alonso making his triumphant return to LF tonight. Back to Stubbs leading off.

Stubbs 8, Renteria 6, Votto 3, Phillips 4, Bruce 9, Hernandez 2, Alonso 7, Frazier 5, Leake RHP
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/16/2011 Reds at Nats

Good to see Alonso back in the lineup. Would like to see him get regular ABs for awhile -- especially in GAB, where his swing fits perfectly and there's less ground to cover in LF. (Too bad Dusty skunked him on the last homestand.)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Sappelt has been useless leading off. A bit of time on the bench might make him a bit more selective.

I hope Jonny is in left tonight. Yonder vs Jonny.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Good to see Alonso back in the lineup. Would like to see him get regular ABs for awhile -- especially in GAB, where his swing fits perfectly and there's less ground to cover in LF. (Too bad Dusty skunked him on the last homestand.)
    Am I the only one who wonders if Alonso's "benching" might have come from Bob. Its not hard to imagine the owner telling his Management Team that they don't want to put little league caliber baseball in front of the paying customers. Now they are back on the road and Alonso is back in there.

The Reds were botching a lot of plays as a team there for a while. I'd guess if they wanted to restore some order and professionalism, benching Yonder would be the first move. Alonso's bat needs to be in this line-up every day IMO, but I can see how it projects poorly to have a sub-professional caliber defender out there. We've seen a no range Griffey, a clutzy Dunn, an overzealous Freel, an inadequate EdE, Wrong Way Willy, subpar Gomes, a run of catchers who can't catch the ball and a string of over the hill, injured, lack of concentration or complete lack of range guys at SS over the last 5 years, but Alonso has a chance to be the worst defender of them all if he isn't playing 1B. I can see why a management team that is trying to convince the customers that all of that has changed wouldn't want him out there in front of the home town fans who are shelling out the bucks to see major league baseball. I'm the first guy to understand that the rest of the year is basically best used as a try out camp, but the avergage Joe isn't paying his money to see that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Are the Reds TRYING to make me not watch their games? First the losing ... and now even MORE George Grande? I thought I was done with him for the rest of the season. He's like a rash that won't go away.

*Never thought he'd be missing Jim Day*

Is it me or does Davey Johnson not look good? I know he's getting old, but he looks bad. Hope everything is OK with him. Always one of my favorites. (I would never get rid of him and replace him with Ray Knight. But that's just me.)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Sappelt has been useless leading off. A bit of time on the bench might make him a bit more selective.
    Yep, pretty big sample size there. Good call. [Sarcasm off.]

Nice start for the Reds tonight.

2-0 with the Nats coming up in the first.

Bruce and Razor both with 2 out rbi to account for the scoring for those interested.

The ball is finding Alonso out in LF tonight.So far he's 1-2.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yep, pretty big sample size there. Good call. [Sarcasm off.]
    It's a fact, he has been useless and he's swinging at everything in sight.

I little time off might do him good, make him a little more selective.

Sappelt won't stay in the majors playing this way.

He has to play a little more small ball to be effective.

Small sample size or not, his current approach will fail 100% of the time. A little time on the bench may give him a chance to figure that out.

This is not a slump, this is an improper approach to his game.

BTW, a little more constructive comment might have helped other than "small sample size". That tells me nothing. My comments were relevant regardless of the sample size.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 08-16-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    The ball is finding Alonso out in LF tonight.So far he's 1-2.
    Eh. I don't think that first one was getting caught by most left fielders. Sappelt probably gets it. Carl Crawford probably gets it. Heisey probably gets it. Most left fielders probably don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Eh. I don't think that first one was getting caught by most left fielders. Sappelt probably gets it. Carl Crawford probably gets it. Heisey probably gets it. Most left fielders probably don't.
    I can't disagree completely but that ball did seem to stay in the air for a long time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It's a fact, he has been useless and he's swinging at everything in sight.

I little time off might do him good, make him a little more selective.

Sappelt won't stay in the majors playing this way.

He has to play a little more small ball to be effective.

Small sample size or not, his current approach will fail 100% of the time. A little time on the bench may give him a chance to figure that out.

This is not a slump, this is an improper approach to his game.
    Sappelt has swung at pitches outside the zone 29% of the time. That is not really some crazy number of zone expansion. It is right in line with Bruce this year and with Votto in 2010. The difference is, Sappelt is actually making a high rate of contact (93%) with those pitches, where as most don't. He is making contact on 97% of the pitches he swings at within the strikezone. Both of those numbers are going to drop because no one does those things at such a high rate. Right now, he is simply dealing with a small sample size.

Turn Off Ads?