Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8/30/2011 Phils at Reds

8/30/2011 Phils at Reds

So much for the Alonso experiment at 3rd. Back to the vets.

Brandon Phillips 2b
    Edgar Renteria ss
    Joey Votto 1b
    Jay Bruce rf
    Miguel Cairo 3b
    Drew Stubbs cf
    Fred Lewis lf
    Ryan Hanigan c
    Bronson Arroyo p
    vs. RH Roy Halladay
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/30/2011 Phils at Reds

I just don't get playing Alonso vs the guy who may have the nastiest lefthanded stuff in the league and then sitting him against a right hander the next night in favor of a right handed bat. Why? I don't care if Cairo has massive splits vs Halladay the point is the development of Alonso at this point.

Edit: It looks like Cairo is 4 for 6 v Halladay in his career but still it is just plain ridiculous the way they are using Alonso.
    Last edited by klw; 08-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Sweet! I was hoping we'd get a chance to see Fred Lewis play tonight!

UNCLE!

I have no idea why they didn't just leave Alonso in AAA or trade him for nobody if they are going to play fodder in front of him. Lewis wouldn't make the roster on most teams, and we offered him $900,000 per years when we was only making $455,000 at Toronto last year. His OBP is high, but has no pop in his bat and the record shows he strikes out a lot (over 100 in two seasons and those he didn't play much). What do they see in this guy is 1-12 lately and 4-40 this month?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I just don't get playing Alonso vs the guy who may have the nastiest lefthanded stuff in the league and then sitting him against a right hander the next night in favor of a right handed bat. Why?
    While I agree that Alonso should be playing, period, the reason why he may have played last night is that Alonso has much better splits agaisnt LH pitching this year, and Hamel has much better splits agaisnt RH hitting.

This is just plain stupid. We need to see if he can play 3b.

Ever since I first read this story, Dusty keeps doing things that bring the same question to mind -- does anybody know how a fan can get access to the home dugout at GAB?

Jim Day again tonight.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Ah, the dive that rarely works.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Fred Lewis is starting tonight because he's a lifetime 23/60 against pitchers whose last names start with H.

Dusty is playing veterans against Halliday. Not a bad idea.

Reds get two on. Bruce fans, Cairo bounds to the pitcher.

That first inning was the Reds season in a nutshell. Halladay doesnt have his best stuff and two are on with one out. Jay Bruce swings at ball four and Cairo grounds weakly to the pitcher. No runs.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Halliday could throw the ball behind him, it would be called a strike. Hanigan called out on a pitch that almost hit the dirt.

After seeing that lineup, I chose not to watch any part of the game tonight. I officially can't stand Dusty Baker as the manager of the Reds. He's not the right guy for this team. He needs to go.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?