Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds at Cubs 9-6-11

Re: Reds at Cubs 9-6-11

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Some of you stats guys...seems like we are having so many of these EI affairs. Do the Reds lead the majors in this category, or does it just seem that way?
    Just counted them, with last night's game, that was our 15th extra inning game (thru game 143). That's over 10% of our games thus far. Someone may want to double check me on this, but it appears we're 10-5 in those games.

Just found a chart that shows there are eight other teams that have had more extra games. We're tied with Toronto at 15. Atlanta's had 23 (14-9), some others at 20. Amazing.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/type/expanded
    Last edited by redsmetz; 09-07-2011 at 05:41 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Just counted them, with last night's game, that was our 15th extra inning game (thru game 143). That's over 10% of our games thus far. Someone may want to double check me on this, but it appears we're 10-5 in those games.
    Correct. The Reds are 10 and 5 in extra innings. 15 extra inning sgames isn't really that many. Atlanta is 14-9, the Giants 12-8, the Marlins 7-12. the Cardinals 6-12, and the Nationals 10-7 have all played more in the NL.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sappelt with a good night.
    He can hit.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Gotta put the hitter away there. Leake would be the first to tell you that he had Castro fooled that entire AB and didn't make the pitch he needed.
    So, it's expected that you have to strike out every hitter you face? Can't even allow a minimal amount of contact?

Give blame for the gopher ball sure, but blame him for allowing a swinging bunt?

Tough crowd.

Interesting that Leake said it was the best he's thrown since college. Also good to see that he enjoyed working with Mesoraco.

Great game by Leake. He was very much cruising and it was the right decision to leave him in. The game it reminded me of was this one from last year- http://espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=300709122 That was the game he was cruising in Philly until the 9th inning collapse. Last year I thought it was the wrong decision to leave him in as the pen was rested, the break was coming up, and while they were looking to limit Leake's innings they were not about to shut him down. Yesterday I thought he was so solid and we are a year later that it was right to keep him in. I wish he was able to get that last strike on Castro. Oh well learning.
    My only criticism of Dusty from last night is that he took out the lefty heavy lineup of the past few games when the starting pitcher they were facing has much worse numbers against lefties than righties. But hey can't platoon all the time.
    Last edited by klw; 09-07-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

Just found a chart that shows there are eight other teams that have had more extra games. We're tied with Toronto at 15. Atlanta's had 23 (14-9), some others at 20. Amazing.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/type/expanded
    I wonder how we'd stack up if we counted the extra innings played? It seems like a bunch of our games have gone to a lot of extra innings. When we play extra innings it isn't often just a 10 or 11 inning affair

It is incomprehensible to me how someone could honestly look at that situation and question leaving Leake in there. Low pitch count, a dribbler for the 2nd hit of the game, and a minor leaguer pinch hitting. Bad result, but absolutely you have to let the kid try to get the CG shutout. And least of all the arguments is the importance of winning that particular game by a 3rd place team in single digits from official elimination for the playoffs.

I was heartbroken for the kid, who was one strike away from a one-hitter.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

It is incomprehensible to me how someone could honestly look at that situation and question leaving Leake in there.
    Agreed. Miniscule pitch count, and he was in complete control.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It is incomprehensible to me how someone could honestly look at that situation and question leaving Leake in there.
    The board is full of posters who hind-sight manage based entirely on the results.

Not one poster spoke up and said he should have been taken out until the game was tied.

At 70 something pitches entering the 9th you would be crazy to take him out. He deserved every chance to complete that game. He made one bad pitch and it cost him the win but not a team win. Which is the main thing.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wonder how we'd stack up if we counted the extra innings played? It seems like a bunch of our games have gone to a lot of extra innings. When we play extra innings it isn't often just a 10 or 11 inning affair
    OK, here's the breakdown:

19 0-1 Home: 4-1
    14 1-0 Away: 6-4 (tough to do)
    13 3-0
    12 0-2
    11 1-1
    10 5-1 10-5 overall
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    At 70 something pitches entering the 9th you would be crazy to take him out. He deserved every chance to complete that game. He made one bad pitch and it cost him the win but not a team win. Which is the main thing.
    And with the crazy movement he had all night, I'm guessing he expected that to move to the outside corner, but it stayed flat for some reason.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The board is full of posters who hind-sight manage based entirely on the results.

Not one poster spoke up and said he should have been taken out until the game was tied.
    The issue is more losing focus at a key moment -- it's plagued Bailey this year (pitching in complete control than giving up two base hits and a 3-R HR) and I've seen Leake fall into it as well.

You have to put away Starlin Castro on a 2-strike pitch, and you CERTAINLY cannot let a career minor-leaguer take you deep after falling behind 2-0.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The issue is more losing focus at a key moment -- it's plagued Bailey this year (pitching in complete control than giving up two base hits and a 3-R HR) and I've seen Leake fall into it as well.

You have to put away Starlin Castro on a 2-strike pitch, and you CERTAINLY cannot let a career minor-leaguer take you deep after falling behind 2-0.
    Castro is notoriously hard to strike out, so that was unlikely. He made a beautiful pitch that he chased and rolled over on for a swinging bunt instead of hitting a weak grounder to the right that the location should have yielded.

As for the homer on a 2-0 meatball fastball, first I think the ball didn't move like it was supposed to for whatever reason. I find it hard to believe he zoned out considering the situation. This game is hard, sometimes you don't execute what you were trying to do, and seemingly at the most inopportune times.

Turn Off Ads?