Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Reds at Cubs 9-6-11

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Reds at Cubs 9-6-11

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

You have to put away Starlin Castro on a 2-strike pitch..... .
    Man, this is baseball.

2-0, 0-2, guys get hits. All the time.

Castro has an above .300 BA after going down 0-2, so he's getting a hit at least one on five tries.

Leake made him chase a great pitch that he barely hit.

You simply can't say that Leake "has to put him away".

And if you didn't pipe us before the deed, don't pipe up know when you already know the outcome.

If it was that obvious, why didn't you mention it before hand?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    And with the crazy movement he had all night, I'm guessing he expected that to move to the outside corner, but it stayed flat for some reason.
    You & another poster mentioned this (or maybe it was you reiterating the point), but it was clear watching the highlight videos that he had tremendous movement on the K's they showed. All moving up in the strike zone and the batters missing them. But the home run pitch was flat and stayed right there and the batter put it where it's supposed to go when you throw such a pitch. I agree with you that he didn't execute the pitch well, whatever movement he was getting during the game wasn't there for that one stinkin' pitch. It happens, the W went in our column, albeit not after Mike's name. Wow the economy on his pitches in this game last night was very good.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    You & another poster mentioned this (or maybe it was you reiterating the point), but it was clear watching the highlight videos that he had tremendous movement on the K's they showed. All moving up in the strike zone and the batters missing them. But the home run pitch was flat and stayed right there and the batter put it where it's supposed to go when you throw such a pitch. I agree with you that he didn't execute the pitch well, whatever movement he was getting during the game wasn't there for that one stinkin' pitch. It happens, the W went in our column, albeit not after Mike's name. Wow the economy on his pitches in this game last night was very good.
    No, I didn't see the other post on the movement, but I'm not seeing Leake throwing a 4 seamer at that stage, it was a 2 seamer that didn't spin for some reason. It was a bad pitch he didn't get away with
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The issue is more losing focus at a key moment -- it's plagued Bailey this year (pitching in complete control than giving up two base hits and a 3-R HR) and I've seen Leake fall into it as well.

You have to put away Starlin Castro on a 2-strike pitch, and you CERTAINLY cannot let a career minor-leaguer take you deep after falling behind 2-0.
    So I guess it's all on Dusty & Leake? No credit is given to the two guys holding the sticks at the plate? Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the batter and say "well done". Mike was in complete command of that game. He didn't "lose it" or anything like that...he threw his pitch, it didn't end up exactly where he wanted it and the hitter took advantage of it. Most of the time, the pitcher gets away with that, when they don't...it's not a sign of him losing focus or him being left in too long, it's a sign that the hitter did a good job of taking advantage of a mistake.

For all the complaining in this thread, IMO there was not enough congratulations for Leake who pitched a PHENOMENAL game. 1 hitter going into the 9th inning and under 80 pitches. There's simply no way I'm going to complain about that outing even a little.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

NM

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So I guess it's all on Dusty & Leake? No credit is given to the two guys holding the sticks at the plate? Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the batter and say "well done". Mike was in complete command of that game. He didn't "lose it" or anything like that...he threw his pitch, it didn't end up exactly where he wanted it and the hitter took advantage of it. Most of the time, the pitcher gets away with that, when they don't...it's not a sign of him losing focus or him being left in too long, it's a sign that the hitter did a good job of taking advantage of a mistake.

For all the complaining in this thread, IMO there was not enough congratulations for Leake who pitched a PHENOMENAL game. 1 hitter going into the 9th inning and under 80 pitches. There's simply no way I'm going to complain about that outing even a little.
    Agree 100%. It's a hard game. Sometimes I think that's underappreciated here.

Turn Off Ads?