Renteria 6
    Votto 3
    Bruce 9
    Heisey 7
    Hernandez 2
    Frazier 5
    Valaika 4
    Volquez 1
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 9/11/11 - Reds at Rox

After two innings, Reds 0, Rockies 0.

Volquez at 31 pitches, 18 strikes.
    Pomeranz 28 pitches, 18 strikes.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Renteria hits into a 6-3 doubleplay to end the 3rd.

Drew Stubbs, who had just walked, made absolutely no attempt to try to break up the doubleplay, he just jogged out of the baseline to avoid the throw. Saw a similar play by the Reds yesterday, I think it was Votto. When did it become OK to stop playing baseball hard? Why is Dusty allowing this, and why does the team culture allow this? Would this happen if there was a stat for breaking up doubleplays?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Renteria hits into a 6-3 doubleplay to end the 3rd.

Drew Stubbs, who had just walked, made absolutely no attempt to try to break up the doubleplay, he just jogged out of the baseline to avoid the throw. Saw a similar play by the Reds yesterday, I think it was Votto. When did it become OK to stop playing baseball hard? Why is Dusty allowing this, and why does the team culture allow this? Would this happen if there was a stat for breaking up doubleplays?
    I don't know. I thought Renteria's grounder was fielded right on top of second base, not much of a chance to break up the DP IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't know. I thought Renteria's grounder was fielded right on top of second base, not much of a chance to break up the DP IMHO.
    It was hit fairly close to the bag. Still, it looked like less than a 100% effort to me....

After three innings, Reds 0, Rockies 0.

Volquez at 51 pitches, 29 strikes, with 0 hits, 3 Ks and 3 BBs.
    Pomeranz 42 pitches, 23 strikes, with 1 hit, 1 K, and 2 BBs.

Hell of a play by Frazier.

After four innings, Reds 0, Rockies 1.

Volquez at 70 pitches, 41 strikes, with 2 hits, 3 Ks and 3 BBs. (Wigginton HR).
    Pomeranz 51 pitches, 29 strikes, with 1 hit, 2 K, and 2 BBs.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 09-11-2011 at 04:22 PM.

After five innings, Rockies 2, Reds 0.

Volquez at 99 pitches, 56 strikes, with 4 hits, 3 Ks and 4 BBs.
    Pomeranz 63 pitches, 36 strikes, with 2 hits (both Valaika), 2 K, and 2 BBs.

Drew Pomeranz's MLB debut is done. He was replaced with a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 5th. He had his appendix out in August, and only had one outing, for three innings in AA, since then. The Reds made him look very good.

Volquez has been his usual self. Decent stuff, but not good control. Very pitch ineffcient. It just shouldn't take 100 pitches to get through 5 innings.

What happened to Valaika ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    What happened to Valaika ?
    They haven't said. It was odd: middle of the inning, out in the field, nothing that I could see. Cairo in to play 2nd.

After six innings, Rockies 2, Reds 0.

Ondrusek at 7 pitches, 6 strikes.
    Hamel in for the Rockies, 11 pitches, 8 strikes.

Ondrusek in for Volquez. Volquez threw 99 pitches, gave up 4 hits, 3 Ks and 4 BBs, and 2 earned runs.

Hernandez hitting just over .200 since the All-Star break.

That hit Hernandez right in the catchers mitt. Passed Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Hernandez hitting just over .200 since the All-Star break.
    And today has given up 3 SBs, and 2 passed balls.

Turn Off Ads?