Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3 Bold Predictions for 2011

Re: 3 Bold Predictions for 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think they could take him on for the last two months of the season (<$3MM to the Reds) without shedding anything substantial- especially if Cast is "serious about winning" and this puts them over the edge. As far as next year goes, they lose Cordero but will still likely have to choose between keeping Ethier or Phillips at $12MM for the year. There could be worse choices to make.
    I agree. But I don't think we'd give up much value for a rental. That's not Jocketty's style. And in terms of being forced to choose between Phillips and Ethier, we've got more options in LF than we do at 2B, unless Valaika or Negron really perform well this year.

Also, I haven't seen Ethier play much, so I can't attest to his defense, but UZRs of -8.3, -13.5, and -15.4 suggest to me that he's not an OF. And to top it off, he's a lefty, making us even more lefty heavy.

In a bubble I like the idea. But the more I look at it, the less sense it makes.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ethier isn't all that great. He's a poor OF with a career .856 OPS and an expensive contract. At best, he's a league average LF, which, imo, isn't worth a lot more than what the Reds already have. I wouldn't want the Reds to give up much talent to get him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    1. Jay Bruce struggles for the first half of the year, but still manages 25HR by year's end.

2. Edinson Volquez also starts slowly, but becomes the TOR guy the Reds need by the ASB. He wins 20 and is in the top-5 for Cy.

3. Chris Carpenter is traded to the Yankees near the trade deadline as the Cards fall out of contention early. This is just part of the Cards implosion that also results in the Redbirds being forced to trade Colby Rasmus. Albert Pujols contract issues dog the Cardinals all year and reaches a boiling point as the trade deadline approaches.
    These sound the most likely of all the ones I've read so far.

1. The Reds will make a major trade this summer prior to the trading deadline to finally bring that legit No. 1 starter to Cincinnati

2. Brandon Phillips will have a monster season

3. The Rockies will be in the NLCS

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I agree. But I don't think we'd give up much value for a rental. That's not Jocketty's style. And in terms of being forced to choose between Phillips and Ethier, we've got more options in LF than we do at 2B, unless Valaika or Negron really perform well this year.

Also, I haven't seen Ethier play much, so I can't attest to his defense, but UZRs of -8.3, -13.5, and -15.4 suggest to me that he's not an OF. And to top it off, he's a lefty, making us even more lefty heavy.

In a bubble I like the idea. But the more I look at it, the less sense it makes.
    I love the idea of Either. And if it were up to me I would replace Either with Phillips in a heart beat. I think Either is trending the right direction while I think Phillips is trending in the wrong direction. I also think its easier to find a suitable replacement at 2b than it is to find an impact OF bat.

I would agree that the Reds would be LH heavy but I with Votto that evens out. Votto hits both hands equally well so I don't think its much of an issue. I could live with a line up of Bruce-Votto-Rolen-Either 2-3-4-5 because of Votto's ability to hit LHP's. Now if you insert Francisco into the lineup as a replacement for Rolen it would get interesting.

1) Bruce jumps out to a hot start, and makes the All Star team. Slows a bit as the season wears on, but still tops 35 homers and a .900 OPS.

2) Aroldis Chapman hits 107 on a juiced up scoreboard radar reading sometime in June or July. A segment of "The art of the game" with Chris Welsh is lated taped where Arolids explains his technique. Chris Carpentar's son is forced to watch.

3) Pujols is traded to the Yankees in by the trading deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I love the idea of Either. And if it were up to me I would replace Either with Phillips in a heart beat. I think Either is trending the right direction while I think Phillips is trending in the wrong direction. I also think its easier to find a suitable replacement at 2b than it is to find an impact OF bat.
    Phillips, even with his injury late in the year, improved his WAR from 3 to 4 last year. Either has been trending downward from 3.4 to 2.7 to 2.2 for last year, and that has been a result of both his offense and his defense.

Also, there were 7 above average 2B in the majors last year. There were 7 impact bats who can play outfield in the NL West last year.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    1. The Reds will make a major trade this summer prior to the trading deadline to finally bring that legit No. 1 starter to Cincinnati

2. Brandon Phillips will have a monster season

3. The Rockies will be in the NLCS
    Who will we be giving up?

For those saying Ethier is coming here too.. who is the trading chip? Leake?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    For those saying Ethier is coming here too.. who is the trading chip? Leake?
    Could be Leake, Alonso, Francisco, or even Grandal- who knows? I'll go with one of those four for now.
    Go BLUE!!!

1. The Yankees will miss the playoffs. (Pitching won't hold up)

2. Jay Bruce will hit more than 40 HR's.

3. The Phillies will miss the playoffs. (Utley breaks down further, and their lineup is way, way overrated).

1. Jay Bruce hits 42 home runs

2. Juan Francisco hits more home runs than Scott Rolen

3. No Reds starter wins more than 14 games.

Reds related:

1) Chapman will break his own major league record for fastest pitch thrown in a game. Three times.
    2) Mesoraco will share starting catching duties by the end of the year.
    3) The Reds will win the division

MLB related:

1) At least five managers will be fired before season's end. At least one of them will be a New York manager. Yes, Joe will be one of those.
    2) Not only will neither NY team make the playoffs, neither will finish above .500.
    3) Jeter will prove that last season was not only not a fluke, but that old age is catching up with him. Still, he will win a Gold Glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Could be Leake, Alonso, Francisco, or even Grandal- who knows? I'll go with one of those four for now.
    I'll add Sappelt and LaMarre to the list of trade candidates as well.
    Go BLUE!!!

1. Oakland A's win the AL West
    2. Matt Holliday becomes the NL MVP
    3. Kyle McClellan wins 18 games.

2. Matt Holliday becomes the NL MVP
    3. Kyle McClellan wins 18 games.
    April Fools!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?