Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 'Smokin' Joe Frazier, former heavyweight champ, RIP

'Smokin' Joe Frazier, former heavyweight champ, RIP

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Frazier, former heavyweight champ, seriously ill with cancer, is in hospice c

Sad news.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Re: Joe Frazier, former heavyweight champ, seriously ill with cancer, is in hospice c

Man! I haven't seriously followed boxing in years; but when I was growing up he was my favorite. One of my most vivid sports highlights growing up was lying in bed and listening on the radio to the "Fight of the Century" at Madison Square Gardens between Joe and Ali. One heck of a fight that went the full 15 rounds. Very grueling fight. Joe retained his title and dealt Ali his first professional loss.

Get well soon Joe!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Senor Votto

Apparently hes going to Russia for experimental Cancer treatments

RIP Joe

RIP Joe,you will be missed!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

He beat Muhammad Ali in the Fight of the Century, battled him nearly to the death in the Thrilla in Manila. Then Joe Frazier spent the rest of his life trying to fight his way out of Ali's shadow.

That was one fight Frazier could never win.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1d5U7zZ72

Rest in Peace, Smokin' Joe Frazier.

Sometime this week I want to find, and watch, the 3 Frazier-Ali fights. Just seems appropriate.

R.I.P. Smokin' Joe
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Sorry to see that

Re: 'Smokin' Joe Frazier, former heavyweight champ, RIP

RIP Smokin' Joe. A great fighter and the Thrilla in Manilla will always be the pinnacle of an epic boxing match in my mind. He and Ali will always be joined at the hip in history.

I always bring out the best in men I fight, but Joe Frazier, I'll tell the world right now, brings out the best in me. I'm gonna tell ya, that's one helluva man, and God bless him.

Ali, after the "Thrilla in Manila"
    I said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn't have said. Called him names I shouldn't have called him. I apologise for that. I'm sorry. It was all meant to promote the fight.

Ali
    The Butterfly and me have been through some ups and downs and there have been lots of emotions, many of them bad. But I have forgiven him. I had to. You cannot hold out for ever. There were bruises in my heart because of the words he used. I spent years dreaming about him and wanting to hurt him. But you have got to throw that stick out of the window. Do not forget that we needed each other, to produce some of the greatest fights of all time.

Frazier in reflective mood.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Re: 'Smokin' Joe Frazier, former heavyweight champ, RIP

I can't imagine boxing ever again producing a spectacle like Ali-Frazier's three fights.

Ali really did humiliate him on tv, most notably when Howard Cosell was interviewing them both and Frazier finally snapped and he and Ali wrestled around while everyone tried to break them up.

What a wonderful quote Roy just posted about Joe forgiving Ali.

RIP, Smokin' Joe
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?