Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Look at this:

We're the best city for beer drinkers!

https://smartasset.com/checking-acco...-drinkers-2019

Cincinnati, Ohio takes first place in our study, moving up from fourth place last year. It ranks within the top 25% of the study for all five metrics we considered. In particular, it has top-20 rates for total number of breweries, at 30; breweries per 100,000 residents, at approximately 10 and average number of beers per brewery, at approximately 103. The average price of a pint in Cincinnati is $4.00. Relative affordability and variety make the city a savory option for even the choosiest of beer lovers.

2. Likes:

Chip R (02-20-2020),North (02-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Everyone be rest assured, beer aisles at the empty grocery stores around me are still well stocked. So you might have to go without food for a couple of weeks, but you won't even know it because you can stay drunk the whole time. Probably a good time to eat all that expired stuff in the pantry, if you're drunk you won't be able to tell it tastes off.

Busch Beer to give away a years worth to 250 couples who cancelled wedding. (Don’t give the brand a hard time. It was a good thought of them to do this)

https://www.marketingdive.com/news/b...-plans/576159/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

6. Likes:

North (04-19-2020)

80% of the CO2 manufacturers are closed, so beer, seltzer water, soda, Kombucha, etc. will all see shortages. The CO2 that is being distributed has had to raise prices 25%.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Busch Beer to give away a years worth to 250 couples who cancelled wedding. (Don’t give the brand a hard time. It was a good thought of them to do this)

https://www.marketingdive.com/news/b...-plans/576159/
    Augustus Busch's Mausoleum at Bellefontaine Cemetary is one of about 12 there. It's a great walk if you are ever in St. Louis.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Regarding kombucha, I've been making my own continuously for over 20 years, and it doesn't need CO2, as it creates its own. It's an amazing probiotic, and I probably drink a liter every day. I have no idea if it's the reason, but I rarely get a cold and have never had the flu. I stay away from all those wacky websites, but between the green tea antioxidants, the living culture, and the similarity to vinegar, I'm guessing it's got to be good for you.

It's amazingly simple to make if you follow the instructions to a T and don't second guess what has worked for 3000 years. I have enough "scoby" for about three people. You can also get a starter on Amazon, and you only have to buy it once. Hey, there is nothing else to do, and you can make 50 12oz bottles for two bucks. You can't even get one bottle of it in the store for that.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Regarding kombucha, I've been making my own continuously for over 20 years, and it doesn't need CO2, as it creates its own. It's an amazing probiotic, and I probably drink a liter every day. I have no idea if it's the reason, but I rarely get a cold and have never had the flu. I stay away from all those wacky websites, but between the green tea antioxidants, the living culture, and the similarity to vinegar, I'm guessing it's got to be good for you.

It's amazingly simple to make if you follow the instructions to a T and don't second guess what has worked for 3000 years. I have enough "scoby" for about three people. You can also get a starter on Amazon, and you only have to buy it once. Hey, there is nothing else to do, and you can make 50 12oz bottles for two bucks. You can't even get one bottle of it in the store for that.
    We started to do our own, and had it going in the garage, but it got to be one-too-many projects for the two of us once I began spending five days and nights a week over at my Sister's to care for my Mom. So, we buy it, and, yes, the fermentation creates its own fizz, so I should have left out Kombucha. I drink about 4 oz per day and try to get ones with the least amount of sugar. I mix in seltzer water (which I create with a canister of CO2 from those make-your-own-soda devices) to add fizz.

If there's something that discusses molecular structure and how to have healthy cells, my Spouse reads it. When she tries to tell me about it, I'm like Homer Simpson listening to Lisa. I'm a pretty intelligent person, but that stuff just goes way over my head. I've struggled through some advanced books on Alzheimer's research, but I'm very limited without any real knowledge like someone in her field with her interests and her education and decades of study understands. She was telling me last night how there's some evidence that those of African descent are more susceptible to the Corona-19 virus, explaining to me the "physical" reasons why at a molecular level. Had we not been on the phone, she might have noticed me going into a Homer state, trying my hardest to grasp what she's saying, but failing miserably at it. So, I say, "Yes, Dear", drink the Kombucha, and worry about figuring out why later. Not quite, but I can't exactly have an accurate different opinion, and as you said, vinegar, antibiotics, can't be bad for me.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-18-2020 at 08:11 PM.

What I ended up doing is making six gallons at a time, and it just sits there for 2-3 weeks depending on the temperature, and then I bottle it in one liter bottles. I put them in a cool place and they don't ferment anymore. Smaller batches would be a hassle, but that routine seems to work.

13. Likes:

DocRed (04-19-2020),Kingspoint (04-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    80% of the CO2 manufacturers are closed, so beer, seltzer water, soda, Kombucha, etc. will all see shortages. The CO2 that is being distributed has had to raise prices 25%.
    While a lot of breweries infuse beer with CO2 it is possible for it to carbonate on its own. I brewed beer for years that way although the only commercial beer I've noticed to be naturally carbonated is Sierra Nevada.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Hard to believe this thread died during covid lock down. These are good neighbors!!

Florida couple offers free beer as way to meet the neighbors

https://omaha.com/news/weird/florida...4c710d0.html#1

Her husband wasn't sure anyone would show up. But once the “Free Beer” sign was placed outside, the neighbors started venturing over.

“It’s always funny to see a sign on the table that says free beer, just to get people to stop and turn their head and drive by and say what did that sign just say. We had a few people do a double take, free beer is a pretty easy way to get people to show up,” said Thomas Evans.

They say it's a great ice-breaker for anyone who is new to a neighborhood.

This week, I turned on my “beer” fridge in the garage. I turn it off during the winter because it is not exactly an energy saver.

In spring of 1992, I bought this 1950’s fridge for 20 bucks at a garage sale. This marks the 30th spring I have had this. Unreal that this fridge is around 70 years old. Still keeps the beverages nice and cold.

Attachment 17068

17. Likes:

919191 (03-30-2021),moewan (03-25-2021),redhawkfish (03-24-2021),Roy Tucker (04-16-2021),Sea Ray (03-24-2021),westofyou (03-24-2021),WildcatFan (03-24-2021),WrongVerb (03-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    This week, I turned on my “beer” fridge in the garage. I turn it off during the winter because it is not exactly an energy saver.

In spring of 1992, I bought this 1950’s fridge for 20 bucks at a garage sale. This marks the 30th spring I have had this. Unreal that this fridge is around 70 years old. Still keeps the beverages nice and cold.
    Ah, now I know why my lights went dim. :-p
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

19. Likes:

goreds2 (03-29-2021)

Sam Adams Is Giving Away Free Beer to People Who Get the COVID Vaccine—Here's How

In honor of National Beer Day on Wednesday, the brand announced a new initiative, called #ShotForSam, that offers beer money for the next month to the first 10,000 people who share evidence that they've been vaccinated against COVID-19 (meaning, they've received least one of two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or the single shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine).

To enter the promotion, vaccinated people must share a picture of their vaccine card or sticker on Instagram and/or Twitter while tagging the company and using #ShotForSam. Users can also send the photo directly to the company's email.

The winners, who will be notified via direct message, will receive $7 via Cash App to cover a Sam Adams beer of their choice from a local bar or restaurant.
    https://news.yahoo.com/sam-adams-giv...wlleHJrhimlY1Z

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Ah, now I know why my lights went dim. :-p
    I now you're joking, but one interesting thing about old fridges and freezers is that they didn't become really inefficient until the 60's when the frost free option was introduced. My dad bought a new chest freezer in about 1965 to replace his old Philco freezer from the late 40's, and after a few months he was stunned by the increased energy usage. He got rid of it and put his old freezer back in service and he's still using it. The only thing we've done is install a new thermostat and add a relay to switch on the compressor. It'll probably work for another 50 years.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (04-12-2021)

Why is it that refrigerators made in the 50s last forever and today's, you're lucky if you get ten yrs out of 'em?

24. Likes:

goreds2 (04-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?