Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Yuengling's Black & Tan is good. A hint of hazlenut, I think. I don't like most beer (drink it for kidney stones) but I do enjoy drinking this. Not as much as Guinness, but cheaper.

Right now all I have in the fridge is a bottle of bud someone gave me. I have a really bad stone, but I still can't bring myself to drink it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yuengling tastes like beer -- not too hoppy, not too malty, no spices, no peat, no orange peel. Just beer flavor. It's best in the summer, when you want something light to cool you off without filling you up. It has more flavor and less plastic aftertaste than macrobrews. It hits the spot.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    IMO, Yuengling is a very average and highly overrated beer. I thought this the first time I tried it 10+ years ago. When classifying Yuengling, I'd put it in the same class as the Bud and Miller Lite's of the world. It's a very light amber lager. I'm not sure why people are flipping out over it, honestly. It's cheap and it's beer, but that's about it. To me, it doesn't have a ton of flavor and seems watered down. But, that's coming from someone used to much stronger beers like Great Lakes, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, etc. so take it for what's it worth.

I bought Yuengling the other day to try it again and to save a few bucks. I was hoping it was going to be better than I remembered. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I doubt I'll buy it again.

On a different note, I went to Zip's last Saturday and had the Great Lakes Christmas Ale on draft again. Fantastic as usual. I try to make an annual trip there for a burger and the beer.
    Yuengling is a decent beer. It isn't going to have a micro brew taste and I agree you can classify it along the lines of Miller or Bud, however I think its better than those two. I think a good comp is Sam Adams, smaller mass market brew.

I had Great Lakes Christmas Ale up in Canton this weekend. It was good, not as great as people claim it to be. And it didn't sit too well with me.

I had some Left Hand Brewery Pilsner the other day and it was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yuengling is a decent beer. It isn't going to have a micro brew taste and I agree you can classify it along the lines of Miller or Bud, however I think its better than those two. I think a good comp is Sam Adams, smaller mass market brew.
    Yuengling is better than the Bud and Miller Lite's of the world, but I'd still put it in the same class/category as them. I think it's much closer to them than it is to Sam Adams. I don't think it's close to the quality of Sam Adams.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Picked up a six-pack of Michelob over the weekend because I hadn't had it in years. Not Michelob Light, Ultra, or Dark...just plain ol' Michelob Lager. Very refreshing and to quote Johnny F., just "tastes like beer."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Went over to the Dilly Cafe in Mariemont with family and had a Great Lakes "Christmas Ale" and a Bells "Third Coast Old Ale". Both were darn fine beers.

And I think Yuengling is not bad beer. Better than most other mass-produced beers.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Yuengling is better than the Bud and Miller Lite's of the world, but I'd still put it in the same class/category as them. I think it's much closer to them than it is to Sam Adams. I don't think it's close to the quality of Sam Adams.
    Yeah, it's the same basic style as Bud and Miller Lite - lager. And for that style, it is very good.

If you're not a fan of that style, that's perfectly fine. But there is still a lot of craft involved. It's kind of like how 5 Guys and McDonalds both make burgers, and 5 Guys does it much better.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If you're not a fan of that style, that's perfectly fine. But there is still a lot of craft involved. It's kind of like how 5 Guys and McDonalds both make burgers, and 5 Guys does it much better.
    It's not my favorite style, but I do enjoy lagers. In fact, I had a couple of Bud Lights tonight. I like all beer, just some styles better than others.

I agree there is a lot of craft that's involved, more so than Bud Light, etc.; however, IMO, I think there's something missing in the beer. To me, it comes off a little flat and I'm not quite sure why. I wish I liked it a little more because I love the price. Maybe I should keep drinking it until I acquire a taste for it?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I wish I liked it a little more because I love the price. Maybe I should keep drinking it until I acquire a taste for it?
    That's what we all did with Natty Light!

Speaking of which, my new favorite way to get drunk:

Maybe I should keep drinking it until I acquire a taste for it?

Just tried Blue Moon Winter Abbey something or other. It tastes really sweet initially, but the after taste is so horribly bitey that I couldn't finish it. Back to Bud Light.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Just tried Blue Moon Winter Abbey something or other. It tastes really sweet initially, but the after taste is so horribly bitey that I couldn't finish it. Back to Bud Light.
    I think you should have your taste buds checked out by a professional..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Went over to the Dilly Cafe in Mariemont with family and had a Great Lakes "Christmas Ale" and a Bells "Third Coast Old Ale". Both were darn fine beers.

And I think Yuengling is not bad beer. Better than most other mass-produced beers.
    Love that place, all my Mariemont friends hang there, of course it used to be a Krogers back in my day, all the Christmas ales are flooding Portland then tend to be too heavy handed on the hops and a tad too boozy for recreational drinking

So one must learn to pace oneself, my pub has SIX holiday beers often pushing my ipa off the tap, that I don't like

Bud, Bud Light, Miller High Life...these are all beers which get panned as poor quality. Beer is made with a living organism and ensuring that one brewed at one facility is the same as one brewed at another is extremely difficult, yet you can have a Bud Light in Miami that tastes the same as one in LA.
    One may not prefer the "weaker" tastes of the American style lagers, but that's not a function of quality, but rather of making a product that appeals to the largest interest.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Love that place, all my Mariemont friends hang there, of course it used to be a Krogers back in my day, all the Christmas ales are flooding Portland then tend to be too heavy handed on the hops and a tad too boozy for recreational drinking

So one must learn to pace oneself, my pub has SIX holiday beers often pushing my ipa off the tap, that I don't like
    Portland is the craft beer capital of the country. I'm envious

Turn Off Ads?