Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Re: Beer Thread :Spinoff

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Right now I'm going with the season and trying as many Oktoberfest beers I can get my hands on. What I like to do is have a good solid traditional Oktoberfest beer on hand to serve as a control, and by traditional I mean one of the 6 official beers of the Munich Oktoberfest, Hofbraeu, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner, Augustiner, or Loewenbraeu. At the moment, that is Paulaner, which I bought a case of. Whenever possible, I'll alternate an American craft brewer's take on an Oktoberfest beer with one of the Paulaners. It really is an interesting experiment because you can see how some breweries try to stay closer to style whereas some have certainly chosen to up the hops a bit to appeal to the American Hop Head sensibilities. Personally, I like Oktoberfest Maerzen styles that stay close to the original, but some the beers that kick up the hops a bit aren't bad either, as long as they don't overpower the maltiness. I couple I've tried the malt flavors couldn't stand up to the hops and the beer ended up tasting more like a Pilsner rather than a Maerzen. Granted they were still pretty good tasting beers, but just not what I would expect from a Maerzen.
    I think the Spaten Oktoberfest is the Gold standard to which others should be compared. This is a great time of year for beer. Other than Oktoberfest events, the best place to enjoy these kinds of beer is at Mecklenburgs near UC.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'm still a piker at this beer thing, but since I have a particularly troublesome kidney stone, I'm trying to be vigilant. Since I'm not terribly experienced, I try to get something I haven't tried before. Right now I'm working on a six-pack of Bell's Octoberfest (their spelling), which they label as a maerzen (well, they sue the umlaut a). It's not bad. It's fairly strong and hoppy, but still easy to drink without having to concentrate on it too much. From the display, I'm guessing that we're just now getting Bell's in this area.
    Bell's is great. Everything they make that I've had are good for the style. I'm not a hop head so I can't speak for the Two-Hearted Ale, but Oberon Ale, their Winter Ale, and their Octofest are all extremely good.

4. Likes:

Chip R (09-13-2016),marcshoe (09-10-2016)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the Spaten Oktoberfest is the Gold standard to which others should be compared. This is a great time of year for beer. Other than Oktoberfest events, the best place to enjoy these kinds of beer is at Mecklenburgs near UC.
    Got a sixer of that in my fridge. It's fantastic.

I'm on the committee for a local Oktoberfest that starts Friday and we will be serving this up. Our other beers are Yuengling Oktoberfest and Yuengling Light. Far and away the most popular beer is Spaten Oktoberfest, but since our beer distributor partner pushes Yuengling, Yuengling gets to be the "Official" beer sponsor of the festival. But I will be pushing the Spaten personally. Spaten and a good schnitzel sandwich from one of our local vendors is so delicious.

This past weekend, I worked another Oktoberfest hosted by the local German Society where my children perform in the German dance groups. They had Spaten, Hofbrau, Paulaner, Warsteiner, and Franziskaner on tap with a variety of styles, including Oktoberfest, Dunkel, Hefe-Weizen, and Dopplebock. Great beer selection and homemade food prepared according to old school Donauschwaben recipes.

I really love this time of year.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm on the committee for a local Oktoberfest that starts Friday and we will be serving this up. Our other beers are Yuengling Oktoberfest and Yuengling Light. Far and away the most popular beer is Spaten Oktoberfest, but since our beer distributor partner pushes Yuengling, Yuengling gets to be the "Official" beer sponsor of the festival. But I will be pushing the Spaten personally. Spaten and a good schnitzel sandwich from one of our local vendors is so delicious.

This past weekend, I worked another Oktoberfest hosted by the local German Society where my children perform in the German dance groups. They had Spaten, Hofbrau, Paulaner, Warsteiner, and Franziskaner on tap with a variety of styles, including Oktoberfest, Dunkel, Hefe-Weizen, and Dopplebock. Great beer selection and homemade food prepared according to old school Donauschwaben recipes.

I really love this time of year.
    Are you on the committee for the biggie, Oktoberfest Zinzinnati? If so how do you think it'll work at its new location?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Right now I'm working on a six-pack of Bell's Octoberfest (their spelling), which they label as a maerzen (well, they sue the umlaut a).
    Beer nerd note of the day: Marzens were traditionally brewed in March, then aged and served during Oktoberfest. The two "styles" are really different in name only.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

9. Likes:

marcshoe (09-14-2016)

Are you on the committee for the biggie, Oktoberfest Zinzinnati? If so how do you think it'll work at its new location?
    Nope. I'm on the committee for a much, much smaller one in Northeast Ohio. I used to be able to go to Oktoberfest Zinzinnati every year, but then prior committee voted to move ours to the same weekend as O.Z. right before I joined (otherwise I would have advised them it was a bad idea, as Oktoberfest Zinzinnati has this gravitational pull that sucks in all the best food vendors and bands in the midwest region).

I'm interested to hear how the move works out for the Oktoberfest down there. Kind of sad they won't be doing the World's Largest Chicken Dance at Fountain Square anymore, but they may have more space to expand where they're moving to.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

92 beers on tap at Zinzinnati this weekend.

I'll be at Mt. Angel on Sunday in Oregon. A 360 degree view for hundreds of miles in the Center of the Willamette Valley blocked only by the Cascades on the East and the Coast Range on the West (if you walk the half-mile up the hill to the Abbey from the main Oktoberfest activities).

Love going here (about half a dozen times a year, or more).

www.oktoberfest.org

This 2016 features a special brew made for the occasion by one of Oregon’s top German brewers, Zoiglahaus:

Brewed by Oregon’s only German-trained Brewmaster, our traditional Festbier pours an inviting golden-orange. Brewed according to the German Purity Law of 1516, we use German malts, hops and yeast. Vienna, Pilsner and Munich malts provide the malt backbone while Magnum and Hersbrucker hops provide the crisp hop flavor and subtle spicy aroma.

Go here and click on the bier menu, and it's pretty cool to read.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-15-2016 at 12:51 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

12. Likes:

Yachtzee (09-15-2016)

Disappointing that Oktoberfest Zinzinnati did not have Spaten beer this year.

Kind of surprising, considering they used to have a Spaten tent. I've been drinking Spaten all weekend, considering the other beer choices at our Oktoberfest are Yuengling Oktoberfest and Yuengling Light.

Given the options at Cincy Oktoberfest, it's hard to complain. Sam Adams was primary sponsor, so their stuff is everywhere. Sierra Nevada has a large tent. I'm currently sitting in a beer garden with Madtree, Rhinegeist, Braxton, and Rivertown. There's a Moerlein booth close by. West 6th too. And a couple others I'm forgetting. Exactly one Bud stand and one Yuengling. Great selection of beers here.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

nm
    Last edited by 919191; 01-03-2017 at 02:48 AM.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I still have never been up the Cincinnati Oktoberfest. A trip I definitely want to take this year.

18. Likes:

Chip R (02-13-2017)

We're at #4. Not too shabby

4. Cincinnati, Ohio

Cincinnati is the highest-rated Ohio city in our study, sneaking ahead of Columbus which finished sixth. In the past we’ve found that Cincinnati is a great city for new college grads, who are known as beer lovers. Cincinnati has 15 microbreweries with Rhinegeist and MadTree being the most popular, according to a Cincinnati.com poll. Given that craft beers and breweries can be expensive, it’s a bonus to beer lovers in Cincinnati that there are plenty of drinking alternatives. Cincinnati has 24 bars per 100,000 residents and with the average pint costing $3, beer lovers of all types should find something suitable.
    https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...s-2016-edition

Pabst Blue Ribbon shortage may be looming

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...e-looming.html
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?