Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Oh yeah, here it is.

Ready.
    Set.
    Go.

I about barfed during Tom jackson and Trent Dilfer's sermon tonight on Tebow.

Marion Barber felt the wrath of Tebow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

I'm pretty indifferent on him which seems to be the minority. I am really enjoying the story though. The best part of it to me is how polarizing he is, people either love him or they're for some odd reason disgusted by him.

All I know is he took over a team that was playing bad football and they've all of a sudden started to play over their heads. The way things seem to fall in place for him, and the way that he turns into a different player in crunch time is mind boggling.

I think people make too big of a deal out of what a traditional player is. The only people that care about winning pretty are people on the outside, I would bet anything the guys on that team and Bronco fans could care less how ugly their wins are.

Oh and Skip Bayless' love affair for Tebow is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I'm pretty indifferent on him which seems to be the minority. I am really enjoying the story though. The best part of it to me is how polarizing he is, people either love him or they're for some odd reason disgusted by him.

All I know is he took over a team that was playing bad football and they've all of a sudden started to play over their heads. The way things seem to fall in place for him, and the way that he turns into a different player in crunch time is mind boggling.

I think people make too big of a deal out of what a traditional player is. The only people that care about winning pretty are people on the outside, I would bet anything the guys on that team and Bronco fans could care less how ugly their wins are.

Oh and Skip Bayless' love affair for Tebow is hilarious.
    I'm not disgusted by him, but I'm disgusted by the way the media fawns over a mediocre QB. He's not terrible, but he's not someone that deserves the type of attention he's getting. He's a good kid, hard worker and a good athlete, but the time devoted to covering him is beyond ridiculous.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm not disgusted by him, but I'm disgusted by the way the media fawns over a mediocre QB. He's not terrible, but he's not someone that deserves the type of attention he's getting. He's a good kid, hard worker and a good athlete, but the time devoted to covering him is beyond ridiculous.
    Give me a break. It's a story literally straight out of a movie. You couldn't get away from Major League/John Elway comparisons on Twitter Sunday, and it's dead on. Expecting the media to ignore a story like Tebow is crazy.

Now, I don't watch ESPN so I'm sure they are beating it to death and that's irritating, but that's why I don't watch that network unless it's live sports.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Give me a break. It's a story literally straight out of a movie. You couldn't get away from Major League/John Elway comparisons on Twitter Sunday, and it's dead on. Expecting the media to ignore a story like Tebow is crazy.

Now, I don't watch ESPN so I'm sure they are beating it to death and that's irritating, but that's why I don't watch that network unless it's live sports.
    How is it dead on? The guy is completing 49% of his passes. He's not that good. When I watch a movie, I expect the hero to be a good player. That's not the case here.

It's only out of a movie because people are making it into one. I got news for you... if this is straight out of a movie, we're going to see a sequel soon and it's going to be such a horrible flop you're going to realize the entire movie franchise wasn't that good to begin with.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    How is it dead on? The guy is completing 49% of his passes. He's not that good.
    Cherrypicking stats and ignoring everything he does do well. The guy has an 11/2 TD-INT ratio, a respectable 83.9 QB rating ... and he's run for over 500 yards at 5.5 yards per carry and three more TDs. Apart from that completion percentage his stats are fine. This is with receivers that are mostly mediocre, as anyone could see the first three quarters on Sunday where they dropped plenty of balls.

In sports when it's not the Reds, Bengals, or Buckeyes I generally root for what would be the more interesting story, so it's really weird to me that people have this hatred for Tebow. If he were more judgmental or something I'd understand it but I've literally never heard the guy say anything I'd consider out of bounds. Even his anti-abortion ad was as tasteful as could be, I mean come on.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

I agree this story deserves coverage.

My biggest issue is that he was getting the same bow down treatment from ESPN way back to his years as a Gator, when it wasn't even close ro being justified. Not that I'm bitter he beat both Ohio State and University of Cincinnati in BSC games.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think there are multiple sides on Tebow, but two stand out.

The people who think winning is everything and nothing else matters.

The people who acknowledge Tebow is winning but don't think his style of play will allow him to continue winning over the long haul unless he changes to be more "traditional".

There are sub sets of people who are on one of the Tebow wagons (love him or hate him) for various reasons too, but I think the two listed above are the ones most fall into.

I think Tebow is going to need to continue to be more traditional if he wants to continue to have NFL success.

Give me an hour or two and I think I could pretty much write what is gonna be said over the next few pages of this thread. I can see it coming.

I don't see how people can hate him. He just seems like a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't see how people can hate him. He just seems like a nice guy.
    There's the religious aspect too that I think is important. hopefully this doesn't turn into a political/religious thing, but that's most definitely in play here.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    There's the religious aspect too that I think is important. hopefully this doesn't turn into a political/religious thing, but that's most definitely in play here.
    This.

I simply don't get it. There are religious guys on EVERY team in football. Tons of them. Yet, I do think this is what a small number of people dislike him for, because he believes in God and is outspoken about his beliefs. The part that I don't get is where that has anything to do with him as a football player. On the field, he isn't discussing God or his beliefs with any fans.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This.

I simply don't get it. There are religious guys on EVERY team in football. Tons of them. Yet, I do think this is what a small number of people dislike him for, because he believes in God and is outspoken about his beliefs. The part that I don't get is where that has anything to do with him as a football player. On the field, he isn't discussing God or his beliefs with any fans.
    I don't really care one way or another about the religion thing, but this is just freaking funny:

It's melodrama at its finest.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post

It's melodrama at its finest.
    Why is it funny? Because people mock it? Or simply because he is praying?

Turn Off Ads?