Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Oh yeah, here it is.

Ready.
    Set.
    Go.

I about barfed during Tom jackson and Trent Dilfer's sermon tonight on Tebow.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Marion Barber felt the wrath of Tebow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

I'm pretty indifferent on him which seems to be the minority. I am really enjoying the story though. The best part of it to me is how polarizing he is, people either love him or they're for some odd reason disgusted by him.

All I know is he took over a team that was playing bad football and they've all of a sudden started to play over their heads. The way things seem to fall in place for him, and the way that he turns into a different player in crunch time is mind boggling.

I think people make too big of a deal out of what a traditional player is. The only people that care about winning pretty are people on the outside, I would bet anything the guys on that team and Bronco fans could care less how ugly their wins are.

Oh and Skip Bayless' love affair for Tebow is hilarious.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think there are multiple sides on Tebow, but two stand out.

The people who think winning is everything and nothing else matters.

The people who acknowledge Tebow is winning but don't think his style of play will allow him to continue winning over the long haul unless he changes to be more "traditional".

There are sub sets of people who are on one of the Tebow wagons (love him or hate him) for various reasons too, but I think the two listed above are the ones most fall into.

I think Tebow is going to need to continue to be more traditional if he wants to continue to have NFL success.

Give me an hour or two and I think I could pretty much write what is gonna be said over the next few pages of this thread. I can see it coming.

I don't see how people can hate him. He just seems like a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    There's the religious aspect too that I think is important. hopefully this doesn't turn into a political/religious thing, but that's most definitely in play here.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah, me too.

I guess I just don't see what the problem is with him being religious? Is he pushing his religion down the throats of his teammates? I don't know, but in either case its not my problem, I've never meet him, doubt I ever will.

I don't begruge a Rabbi, Cleric, Priest, Revrand or any other figure of religious belief their strong ties to their personal faith. I don't habor ill feelings toward them for wearing their faith on their sleeve. I do care what kind of person they are, and by all accounts, Tebow seems to be a nice young man. It seems to me, there are many who project their dislike of organized religion on a man who I've seen do little more than bend at knee and pray on occasion on the football field. I guess he did the anti-abortion add, which I suspect turn some off, but they may be the same people that would cheer a Ray Caruth return to their favorite football team.

I'm neither a Tebow fan, nor a Tebow hater. I hear all the experts tell me how he can't win, won't win, yet time and again he helps to lead a comeback and has his team on track for the playoffs. Perhaps in the long run they're correct, but its certainly an interesting story to watch unfold.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I probably should hate Tebow because he went to a rival school, but I don't. He's a good guy. Definitely has off-the-charts intangibles. And nearly all teams in the NFL play a certain style, and the Broncos are now playing a different style. Different is interesting, interesting is good.

At the same time, I think the hype machine has gone off the deep end. If someone wasn't aware of the whole Tebow debate and didn't have a dog in the fight, I don't know how they could watch yesterday's game and conclude the reason Denver won was because of their great quarterback. The magical journey of lucky breaks and comebacks has been fun to watch, but this business of the defense playing its tails off for 60 minutes so Tebow can finally show up in the last five and be the hero isn't a long-term sustainable thing.

Also, the opponent needs to stop helping co-write the script. When the Bronco offense looks so inept for 50-55 minutes, you can practically see the thought bubbles on the other sideline -- "run the clock, don't give up the big play, we've got this." And they take the air out of the football on offense and loosen up on defense, and suddenly the oxygen-starved Denver offense is gulping fresh air. Tebow hits a few guys on simple pitch-and-catch routes, gets a rhythm, and it's on.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    At the same time, I think the hype machine has gone off the deep end. If someone wasn't aware of the whole Tebow debate and didn't have a dog in the fight, I don't know how they could watch yesterday's game and conclude the reason Denver won was because of their great quarterback. The magical journey of lucky breaks and comebacks has been fun to watch, but this business of the defense playing its tails off for 60 minutes so Tebow can finally show up in the last five and be the hero isn't a long-term sustainable thing.

Also, the opponent needs to stop helping co-write the script. When the Bronco offense looks so inept for 50-55 minutes, you can practically see the thought bubbles on the other sideline -- "run the clock, don't give up the big play, we've got this." And they take the air out of the football on offense and loosen up on defense, and suddenly the oxygen-starved Denver offense is gulping fresh air. Tebow hits a few guys on simple pitch-and-catch routes, gets a rhythm, and it's on.
    Marion Barber and Matt Prater were the heroes for Denver yesterday.

Where's the Tebow thread? Well up until this time it's been in the Bengals discussion which I couldn't figure out. Glad you started one here

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Marion Barber and Matt Prater were the heroes for Denver yesterday.
    I know, I'm talking about the perception of the thing. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I don't get the hate or the love directed at the guy. He is a mediocre football player who seems to be a great human being. I don't care about his spiritual beliefs anymore or less than I care about anyone else's. He just seems to be such a lightning rod for attention and has been since college.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I know, I'm talking about the perception of the thing. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.
    I was actually in agreement with you. I knew what you were getting at.

Turn Off Ads?