Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Never really saw that as a Pats fan, it always seemed like Belichick got all the credit for being the puppetmaster pulling all these genius strings with nothing but average players.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think Tebow's lack of touch contributes to those drops as well. Simply put he doesn't throw the most "catchable ball" in the world
    I think you might have something here. That's really something that's difficult to tell from watching TV. That's not to see he's got guys on his team that are great receivers but when you're used to catching balls from one guy and then another guy comes in and his ball comes in differently (remember, Tebow's a lefty so the ball's going to spin the opposite of when Orton threw the ball.) Takes a while to get used to that. Tebow also has problems mechanically when he brings the ball back to throw it. A lot of the time he will bring it down to his hip like a baseball pitcher instead of not getting it any lower than the chest. That's going to cause problems for him for obvious reasons. He doesn't do it all the time but you have to think that's a natural motion for him and he's probably going to regress back to it when he's tired or is under pressure.

I thought Thom Brennaman was going to bust into the CBS booth last week and punch out Phil Simms out of jealousy. Anything Tebow did was wonderful. He'd bounce one in there and Simms would say it was a great throw. How much do you think the NFL (and CBS and NBC) wants Denver in the Super Bowl? The ratings will be through the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Never was a Florida fan but a classic.

Tim Tebow Speech - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    This is the key point. He clearly is a better option than alot of teams have and people should assume he will improve with time like most QBs. This team is one that was 1-4 at start of the season. Not exactly a lot of talent there.

Broncos were 27th in league in passing when Tebow took over. 27th! Its safe to say that any young qb placed in that enviroment would struggle. How could they not. They had proved to be a dysfunctional unit already with a veteran qb. While they have dropped to 32nd in passing at least they have become the top ranked rushing offense with him at QB. I dont think that would have been possible with another option they had at qb.
    Here's the thing: The only reason they're doing the spread option so much is because EVERYONE knows Timmy can't throw the ball with any kind of consistency. Tebow is the worst passing starting QB in the league. Would anyone argue that? THey HAVE to run in order for him to be successful and they CAN'T get down because they know he can't pass worth a lick when he's forced to sit back in the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    No. Does anyone remember the drive before the drive in 1987?
    Please tell me: What was so special that Tebow did on his pass to Thomas?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Here's the thing: The only reason they're doing the spread option so much is because EVERYONE knows Timmy can't throw the ball with any kind of consistency. Tebow is the worst passing starting QB in the league. Would anyone argue that? THey HAVE to run in order for him to be successful and they CAN'T get down because they know he can't pass worth a lick when he's forced to sit back in the pocket.
    I can think of several starting QBs that are worse at throwing the ball than Tebow. Anyone who has started for the Colts this year, Blaine Gabbert, the Beck/Grossman poo poo platter in Washington. No, Tebow isn't the most accurate passer. Yes, he struggles sometimes making basic throws.

But he also just lit up the Steelers for over 300 yards in a playoff game. How many guys have done that? I was really hard on this guy for a really long time. But I've got to give him credit when credit is due. He's not nearly as good as some make him out to be (hello, Skip Bayless). But on the same hand, his detractors (and there are many) don't give him nearly enough credit. He throws a BEAUTIFUL deep ball.

I think he has many similarities to Big Ben when he first came in the league. Throws a great deep ball, is hard to bring down, can scramble, and runs a limited offense. Why can't he be a lefty version of Big Ben?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'd hardly call him the underdog. He was the most hyped college player I can remember, and it's not even close. He was not very good his senior year, yet was somehow in the top 6 in Heisman voting (that particular year he shouldn't have even been in the top 20). He was a first round draft pick. He's only an underdog because he's not looked very good as an NFL-type QB. His team is winning with him not playing a very effective QB. If he's an "underdog", it's simply because of how HE has played. How he could be called an underdog otherwise escapes me.

I really wish people would stop thinking those who watch him and don't think he should be getting all the credit, and who think what we're seeing now is not sustainable somehow are rooting against him or having something personal against him. It's not the case. It's just an opposing viewpoint from the constant "Tebow wins" headlines we're always seeing.

I can think of only a couple of other QBs in the NFL who get virtually all the credit when his team wins. It's the thing I couldn't stand about the Tom Brady coverage earlier in his career. He's a great QB, but it was like no one else was on the field. When the Pats won, it was Brady who won. I really dislike this type of hype and coverage.
    I got sick of the media attention at Florida, but at least there, I thought it was a little more deserving than at Denver. As far as college quarterbacks go, I truly believe he was one of the better ones in many years. I would take Tim Tebow to start a college program every day of the week. I would not remotely touch him with a 10-foot pole to be my NFL QB, though. The hype carried over to the pros but unfortunately the value did not.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Please tell me: What was so special that Tebow did on his pass to Thomas?
    He chose the right reciever and hit him perfectly in stride allowing Thomas to not have to slow down. Tebow was perfect on that play. So was Thomas.

I do wish the focus was on the Steelers (Polamalu?) D though. To not have at least one safety play deep in OT where a TD beats you is insane. This play aside, one trip-up by your CB and you are headed to the showers. Poor coaching and/or execution. That play should have resulted in a 15-20 yard gain, nothing more.

Championships are won and lost on making or not making plays you should make. And in the pros that is so magnified.

The guys are so good and so fast, all it takes is one bad step, one look in the wrong direction, one little deke, one brain cramp, and you're toast.

I hated Tebow at Florida but I kinda like him at Denver. I'm still a naysayer of his long-term success because of his lack of replicability in his throwing motion, but I'd be fine if he proves me wrong and I think it would be a nice story.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

If ESPN has shown us anything it's that they will overdo just about anything they get their hands on. The Tiger Woods sex scandal, the Brett Favre 'retirement' saga, the Penn State scandal...etc. With all of the bad guys and all of the bad stories in and around sports, I don't mind that ESPN has decided to overdo this Tim Tebow thing. If it wasn't him it would just be someone else. I also think a lot of the anger around Tim Tebow is misplaced, he's not asking for this attention. He didn't ask to be drafted in the 1st round, he didn't ask for Merrill Hoge to take such a strong stance against him, and he sure as heck didn't ask for Skip Bayless to turn him into a worldwide phenomenon.

With all of that, he's at least using his fame in a very good way. That can't be said of most athletes today. By all accounts he's about as genuine as it comes, even though I believe a lot of people deep down almost want him to be fake. He's visiting terminally ill children, cancer survivors, using his foundation to bring them and their families to games, and from their own words he's giving them hope. If the E!SPN hype train is even partly to blame for stuff like that, then by all means keep it rolling. When I get tired of it I'll change the channel.

Stories like this video are awesome, and I'll gladly watch these over hearing about Brett Favre sending raunchy text messages, Plaxico shooting his leg, or the latest player with a warrant out for his arrest.

"My Wish" series (2011): Adam's wish to meet Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow - YouTube

See, this is where things get easily misconstrued. Tebow as a person is completely separate from Tebow the NFL QB. Someone can have an opposing POV on him and his future in the NFL than some of his fanbase and those who think he's going to be good without taking for granted how he is using his fame. One does not have to do with the other.

I think some think that people like me who just aren't buying that the current version of him on the field as being sustainable somehow are rooting for him to fail just so we can be right. I'm not that small minded. Were it not for fantasy football, I don't know that I could watch the NFL. There's very few players worth rooting for, IMO. I grow tired of all the chest bumping, taunting, and showboating that has become commonplace in any NFL game. The latest that has me annoyed as hell is the "first down celebration." I really don't like the theatrics that go into the current trend in TD celebrations, but at least it's for a scoring play. Now players feel like they need to dance for a first down, a sack, a good hit, a nice return, a good catch, you name it.

Anyway, back to my point. I'm pretty old-fashioned when it comes to the athletes I like. the NBA is unwatchable for this very reason. The NFL has almost reached that point for me. So having a guy like Tebow and what he brings from a quality of human being perspective is not lost on me. The NFL needs more like him and if he turns into a good and productive NFL QB, I will readily admit that's a great thing for the NFL and professional sports as a whole. I have no problem singing his praises for trying to use his position for good. And he appears to be completely genuine in his efforts. My hats are off to him for that and I wish more would follow his lead. But that doesn't make him a good NFL QB...... yet! He could become one, but how could anyone watch the last 3 games of the season and think they have any chance over an entire season to play good offense with him playing QB like that? Great guy, needs some work as a player.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yeah I wasn't necessarily talking about anyone on this board. I think a lot of posters here are above blind hate and genuinely critique him as nothing more than an NFL QB.

It was more a general statement to the hysteria surrounding the guy. He's such a lightning rod for debate, and there are so many people with strong opinions one way or the other.

I hear what you're saying, MWM. And I agree.

Seems that Tebow has a fan in Rick Reilly. Nice story...

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7...ving-tim-tebow
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I enjoy variety, and Tim Tebow is certainly providing that. He's ok in my book.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'd hardly call him the underdog. He was the most hyped college player I can remember, and it's not even close. He was not very good his senior year, yet was somehow in the top 6 in Heisman voting (that particular year he shouldn't have even been in the top 20). He was a first round draft pick. He's only an underdog because he's not looked very good as an NFL-type QB. His team is winning with him not playing a very effective QB. If he's an "underdog", it's simply because of how HE has played. How he could be called an underdog otherwise escapes me.

I really wish people would stop thinking those who watch him and don't think he should be getting all the credit, and who think what we're seeing now is not sustainable somehow are rooting against him or having something personal against him. It's not the case. It's just an opposing viewpoint from the constant "Tebow wins" headlines we're always seeing.

I can think of only a couple of other QBs in the NFL who get virtually all the credit when his team wins. It's the thing I couldn't stand about the Tom Brady coverage earlier in his career. He's a great QB, but it was like no one else was on the field. When the Pats won, it was Brady who won. I really dislike this type of hype and coverage.
    Did ANYONE predict he'd be a good NFL QB?

That's where the underdog status comes from, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?