Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Cherrypicking stats and ignoring everything he does do well. The guy has an 11/2 TD-INT ratio, a respectable 83.9 QB rating ... and he's run for over 500 yards at 5.5 yards per carry and three more TDs. Apart from that completion percentage his stats are fine. This is with receivers that are mostly mediocre, as anyone could see the first three quarters on Sunday where they dropped plenty of balls.

In sports when it's not the Reds, Bengals, or Buckeyes I generally root for what would be the more interesting story, so it's really weird to me that people have this hatred for Tebow. If he were more judgmental or something I'd understand it but I've literally never heard the guy say anything I'd consider out of bounds. Even his anti-abortion ad was as tasteful as could be, I mean come on.
    I agree. He's a classy guy who isn't trying to impose his views on anyone.

For what it's worth, Tebow's completion % is better than better than Mike Vick's rookie season was (thus far).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Some people frown upon those who are religious.
    Yeah, I know that religion makes a lot of people uncomfortable but why does Tebow catch so much flack whereas Brandon Phillips or Andy Dalton do not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yeah, I know that religion makes a lot of people uncomfortable but why does Tebow catch so much flack whereas Brandon Phillips or Andy Dalton do not?
    I can't think of another professional athlete who appeared in a pro-life ad, or any other political advocacy ad of such a controversial subject as abortion.

Tebow doesn't do that Super Bowl ad, and his religious views aren't talked about that much.

I also don't know any athlete with such an attention drawing method of demonstrating his faith, as Tebow's kneel down pose. For me, it's the same thing as those dances defenders do when the get a sack.

I have no problem with Tebow's faith, I think it's great, in fact. However, I can see how people have a problem with how he expresses it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Is the kneel down thing really any worse than the countless number of athletes who pound their chest then point upwards to the sky in a "thank you God" manner? Is it any worse than the players of te 80s (Mark Bavaro?) who would get on a knee and make the sign of the cross? I don't think so, I think many times people see what they want to see and read more into a gesture than there is meant to be read into.

I saw countless athletes/artists in pro-Obama adds for the last presidential election.

Chad Johnson and Terrelle Owens were mostly celebrated for their end zone creativity. I fail to see how a player taking a knee and saying a quiet prayer offends anyone other than those looking for an excuse to be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Is the kneel down thing really any worse than the countless number of athletes who pound their chest then point upwards to the sky in a "thank you God" manner? Is it any worse than the players of te 80s (Mark Bavaro?) who would get on a knee and make the sign of the cross? I don't think so, I think many times people see what they want to see and read more into a gesture than there is meant to be read into.

I saw countless athletes/artists in pro-Obama adds for the last presidential election.

Chad Johnson and Terrelle Owens were mostly celebrated for their end zone creativity. I fail to see how a player taking a knee and saying a quiet prayer offends anyone other than those looking for an excuse to be offended.
    I think his kneel down is far more attention grabbing than pounding your chest and saying "Thank You God." Like I said, it's gives the impression that you are trying to single yourself out and draw attention to yourself, much like the celebration dances you mentioned. It has an appearance of self-importance. (I have no idea what Mark Bavaro did, so I can't comment.)

I don't know any active pro-athlete who appeared in an Obama ad, but I could have missed it if they did. But even that is nothing like appearing in an ad about abortion, especially one that appeared during the Super Bowl.

And I don't think too many people are offended by what Tebow does, just annoyed.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Tebow is more outspoken than most other Christian-athletes are. Or maybe it seems that way since there is always a mic in his face. Either way, that is what I think the difference is.

Why I can't stand Tebow has nothing to do with religion.

It's the incessant hype machine that has been shoved down everyones throats by the worldwide leader.

Same reason I can't stand Brett Favre either. I get it, they're great, but I don't need to be reminded of it 24 hours a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Last edited by ervinsm84; 12-14-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Why I can't stand Tebow has nothing to do with religion.

It's the incessant hype machine that has been shoved down everyones throats by the worldwide leader.

Same reason I can't stand Brett Favre either. I get it, they're great, but I don't need to be reminded of it 24 hours a day.
    Sounds like it has nothing to do with Tebow either.

Tebow love/hate must be making ESPN alot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    49% completion percentage is not cherry picking. That's not good, no matter how you slice it.
    Don't forget that the NFL is a league where completion % numbers are very high these days because of the rules. 49% is an abomination. . .and that's with very, very, very vanilla play calling.

There's a reason the coaches don't let him pass the ball much until they HAVE to.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Tebow is more outspoken than most other Christian-athletes are. Or maybe it seems that way since there is always a mic in his face. Either way, that is what I think the difference is.
    I rarely hear him talk about religion in pre and post game interviews. He did do the anti-abortion commercial but I haven't noticed him continually hammering the subject

Kinda shows how worthless those win probability charts are

Add this to the "World Has Lost Its Mind" file:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ended-tebowing
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Add this to the "World Has Lost Its Mind" file:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ended-tebowing
    I think the suspension was more for the fact that they did this for three days than the actual kneeling. After awhile if they tell you enough is enough, you have to cooperate

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Aaaaah, Tebow-huh! Good God y'all! First Take really needs to find something else to talk about. This is just ridiculous.

Turn Off Ads?