Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2012: Project Drew Stubbs

2012: Project Drew Stubbs

My projection.

If Stubbs bats lower in the order, say 7th I think he'll post the following:

.260 BA .335 OBP .450 SLG

25 HR's 25+ doubles 40 SB's

This from a guy that absolutely RAILED against him. I'm convinced it was a development and a mental issue. Simply put, I don't care how fast he is, he isn't a leadoff hitter.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012: Project Drew Stubbs

Put me down for:

.255/.330/.420, 20 HR, 25 2B, 5 3B, 40 SB.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I do believe he'll add about 7-10 bunt hits next year. I also believe Heisey will get more starts in CF against RHP.

Stubbs: 470 PA, .261 avg, .329 OBP, .410 SLG, 31 SB, 14 HR
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I do believe he'll add about 7-10 bunt hits next year. I also believe Heisey will get more starts in CF against RHP.

Stubbs: 470 PA, .261 avg, .329 OBP, .410 SLG, 31 SB, 14 HR
    I hope you are correct about Stubbs vs. RHP. He absolutely should sit more against righties. Heisey should get more starts against RHP, they are a real challenge for Stubbs.

.240/.310/.370/.680. He's just too passive. He takes meatballs early in the PA, gets himself into unfavorable counts and then RHPs get him to expand his zone late in the count with curves that break off the plate. The result is lots of Ks and weak contact. If he doesn't start swinging at those early meatballs, he'll never hit.

He can hit lefties, because those balls break towards him instead of away.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Tough to say it depends on how he changes his game. Be it approach or mechanics he has to make some adjustments and until then he will do poorly. The Reds seem to think it is mostly approach related and so we will see if his approach improves.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I hope the high end of these projections is right, but fear it will be closer to the low end. I am sure of one thing. I want to see him in the 7th hole and stay there all year.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I'm an optimist

.265/.340/.465

Stubbs makes his first All-Star game after starting the season on a blistering pace.

Kobe!

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I'm an optimist

.265/.340/.465

Stubbs makes his first All-Star game after starting the season on a blistering pace.

Kobe!
    If he gets anywhere near .800, the Reds are probably gonna have a very good year.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

.225/.300/.365 /.665
    Its gonna be ugly. The book on Stubbs is out. He just doesn't have bat control. I don't think there's a lot that can be done about it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'll say .265/.340/.475 with 25 HRs/40SBs. I think he can adjust and will adjust. BUT, in saying that I think its also hugely important that Dusty hits him lower in the order both to take pressure off of him and to allow him to be more aggressive early in counts so he doesn't trap himself in a "take a lot of pitches" mentality that he might get leading off. He's not a good behind the count hitter so he needs to be able to go after the pitcher as soon as he starts seeing strikes. That could mean first pitch swinging. I believe Drew is one of those guys that being patient may hurt more than help - and that's the type of guy that belongs lower in the order.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'll say .265/.340/.475 with 25 HRs/40SBs.
    I'll second this.

I think he starts off very similar to last season with a pretty good start and all. Then around June like last year, he tails a tad (but not as bad as last year) and of course we all get mad at him, and want him traded or sent down to AAA and we yell at Dusty to get him out. Of course, he has improved, but he still makes some bad swings and some bad outs. He stays in this rut for about a month (like mid June to mid July or so). He then finishes the year like he started it, which is a great improvement to last year where he finished horribly. I will say about 25 HR's/50 SB's. And at the end of the year, there is no question that he is our starting CF going forward. That is my bold statement.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    .225/.300/.365 /.665
    Its gonna be ugly. The book on Stubbs is out. He just doesn't have bat control. I don't think there's a lot that can be done about it.
    You know, I have no idea what he might do. To me he is a pretty big wildcard. Big upside, big downside, which is unusual for a player of his age.

I think it's pretty unlikely he goes this far down, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities.

Turn Off Ads?