Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disc Golf - am I the highlander?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Disc Golf - am I the highlander?

Went out yesterday, while it was cold, I believe I threw my longest drive ever. I was pretty close to 400', I generally live in the 300-320' range, so it was a bomb by my standards. I proceeded to miss the 15' putt I left myself on the hole and carded a 3 as did all 3 of my playing partners. *mumble*

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Nerdvana Annihilation

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    There can be only one.

I have mentioned disc golf a few times on this forum without nary a nod from any other poster. Surely I can't be the only poster here that has plays regularly, or has played at all ... can I?

I picked this up two years ago regularly play the following courses ...

Indian Riffle Park Kettering, OH
    Belmont Park Dayton, OH
    Sycamore Trails DGC Miamisburg, OH
    Community Park DGC Troy, OH
    Duke Foundation DGC Piqua, OH
    Englewood MetroPark DGC Englewood, OH

and hit this one time ...
    Alum Creek Disc Golf Course Delaware, OH

I am looking to make a weekend trip to play 3-4 Cincy courses, catch a Reds game (or two), etc. If you can recommend some interesting courses within 30 mins in any direction of the ball-yard, please do so.

GL
    Wow! thats awesome. I have played it once when I met up with some frineds in Wisconsin before the OSU football game. I didn't realize we had that many courses in ohio and around me! (I live in Fairborn, Ohio)

It was a blast and I have been trying to get some friends this summer to hit up a course. It's to bad we can't drink beer in State parks in Ohio like we did in Wisconsin.

They built a disc golf course here in the city park in Bellefontaine about 2 years ago, but I've never checked it out. It can't be too big because the park itself is not that large.

When I lived in Columbus, back in the 80s, there had a couple nice courses in the Metro Parks that I played quite a bit. I enjoyed it too.

About 12 years ago we took the kids and went camping over in Indiana at a Yogi Bear Campground. They had an 18 hole disc golf course built into the woods there. It was a nice course, one could tell they invested some money; but it was the most challenging course I'd ever played.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    They built a disc golf course here in the city park in Bellefontaine about 2 years ago, but I've never checked it out. It can't be too big because the park itself is not that large.
    The Mary Rutan DGC, it's on my short list of courses to get to. It's a pretty well rated course, the only issue is that it's kinda out by itself.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    The Mary Rutan DGC, it's on my short list of courses to get to. It's a pretty well rated course, the only issue is that it's kinda out by itself.

GL
    I'll have to look into it when warm weather gets here. It's something else I can get involved in with my boys. I found this. Wow! I didn't realize it was this extensive of a course.....

http://www.maryrutandiscgolfcourse.synthasite.com/

Let me know when you decide to come play it. It's a very short distance from my home.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-26-2012 at 04:59 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'll have to look into it when warm weather gets here. It's something else I can get involved in with my boys. I found this. Wow! I didn't realize it was this extensive of a course.....

Let me know when you decide to come play it. It's a very short distance from my home.
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a course that requires a bit of skill, some distance here and there, and solid course management. Can't wait to get there. Will let you know when we are headed up. (Spring?)

GL

My dad lives near Bowling Green, KY, which has become a bit of a hot bed of disc golf for whatever reason.

He's taken it up and is quite good.

I've played with him a couple times and it gives him great joy to smoke me.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    My dad lives near Bowling Green, KY, which has become a bit of a hot bed of disc golf for whatever reason.

He's taken it up and is quite good.

I've played with him a couple times and it gives him great joy to smoke me.
    Growing up we use to take our annual camping vacation to Bowling Green, and a campground/amusement park called Beech Bend. Hear of it? My brother says it's still there, and running strong. Great times there.

Growing up we use to take our annual camping vacation to Bowling Green, and a campground/amusement park called Beech Bend. Hear of it? My brother says it's still there, and running strong. Great times there.
    Oh yeah. I was born in BGKY, but I haven't been to Beech Bend in eons. I know they have a drag strip out there that's become sort of a big deal.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I played in high school -- there were a number of really nice courses in the western 'burbs of Minneapolis. Can't say I've played recently, but think I still have a cheetah, rhino and birdie buried somewhere.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Went out on Sunday. Chilly and windy, but had a good time. Didn't shoot real well though.

Took a neighbor for his second outing ... his backhand was very, very weak. I had him throw 3-4 forehands in an open field and he used that for his drive the rest of the day getting a few 220+ (was only getting 150 or so on backhands). The last hole we played was 245 ft. and he birdied it. I think we have a convert, ha ha.

GL

This nice weather is going to really boost my game for next summer. I have been able to get out 5-6 times in both Dec and January, and 3 times in February so far. I should be able to start off in mid-season form.

I have been fiddling with my grip, approach, and technique this winter ... I am now consistently getting 320+ off the Tee on longer holes and my driving accuracy is improving by leaps and bounds. I will occasionally bomb one 360+ which is 100ft further than summer of 2011.

I have worked to get much more aggressive in my putting, and it is really paying off. I am 5x better at putting than I was 4 months ago.

I am regularly pushing even on most courses and will suspect I will be able to go negative quite often this summer.

I also found this chart, which has helped me refine what I carry in my bag and determine which disks might be good buys for me.

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgol...ightChart1.pdf
    GL

Just missed my first ace last week. Downhill 330 footer, hit the basket.

First week for blind-draw doubles at the local course this week!

GL

Quote Originally Posted by code View Post
    Wow! thats awesome. I have played it once when I met up with some frineds in Wisconsin before the OSU football game. I didn't realize we had that many courses in ohio and around me! (I live in Fairborn, Ohio)

It was a blast and I have been trying to get some friends this summer to hit up a course. It's to bad we can't drink beer in State parks in Ohio like we did in Wisconsin.
    I missed this the first time through, Fairborn has a course over by the high school. *Very* challanging from what I understand. Despite working within 10 minutes of the course, I have not had a chance to play it yet.

GL

I haven't forgot about this, just took on some career building opportunities at work this summer. Looks like I should free up later this summer/early fall.

GL

Turn Off Ads?