Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disc Golf - am I the highlander?

Re: Disc Golf - am I the highlander?

Shoot me a PM whenever you can make it here to play. You'll kick my butt though, because I haven't played in quite some time. I'll have to run over to Dunhams and get me a disk. LOL

My daughter graduates from college this weekend, and is coming home for the summer. She's very athletic, so maybe her and I will get some practice in.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just missed my first ace last week. Downhill 330 footer, hit the basket.
    I've had knee problems for the past year+ (hurt while playing disc golf). Had to have my knee scoped back in March. Went out to Harbin Park (in Fairfield) to just sort of putz around and throw. Aced 16! It's only 220 feet though. First ace in, like 5 years. First was old #10 at Banklick or whatever they are calling it now. 370 feet, skipped in. It took about 5 seconds for it to register. :-) I can't wait to start playing regularly again.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Idlewild- One of the best pro-caliber courses you'll ever see. The design is amazing, and it's been lovingly kept fresh. Be warned though; if you're not confident in your skills, this course will truly punish you. There's nothing close to a "gimme" hole, and the only ace run recently got a redesign.
    Played idlewild a few weeks back. I wasn't having my best day and the first round put my tail between my legs. Bucked up and played a pretty nice 2nd round but that course is no joke.

Still don't have an ace to my name, have hit the basket no less than 1/2 dozen times this year but can't get one in. I do have a 1/2 dozen 150 ft+ makes to my name, but can't seem to get an ace. *frustrating*

GL

I used to play poker with this guy when I lived in Charlotte:

http://www.pdga.com/player/20300

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Played idlewild a few weeks back. I wasn't having my best day and the first round put my tail between my legs. Bucked up and played a pretty nice 2nd round but that course is no joke.

Still don't have an ace to my name, have hit the basket no less than 1/2 dozen times this year but can't get one in. I do have a 1/2 dozen 150 ft+ makes to my name, but can't seem to get an ace. *frustrating*

GL
    How am I just now seeing this thread. I love Disc Golf. Have been playing nonstop for about 10 years now. Surprisingly ive had about a dozen Aces. 6 or so at Woodland Mound in Hamilton County. There was a good stretch that everytime my buddy and I would buy a new frisbee we would hit a hole in one. Playing course par at woodland mound my average is 28 under and my best is 34 under. Playing banklick my average is 10 under. And Mt Airy a 6 under.

I've been playing for about 20 years. I have played some of the top rated courses in the US...Blue Ribbon Pines (MN), Coyote Point (CA). I even designed a course in my home town. Never been to Ohio but it sounds like you have some nice courses. I would love to make it to Ohio for a week of disc golf and Red's games!

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    GL
    My skill and distance has increased quite a bit this summer and I am playing more courses that give me a better shot at an ace. I generally only get out once a week but have been playing two rounds each time I go. 9 Rounds in July and I hit a couple more baskets off the tee this month, two of them at 250+, and still no ace. *sigh*

GL

Have made a couple of longer birdies this year (175+) and have hit a basket off the tee a few more times. Still no ace. *sigh*

My game is really maturing this year. I have a bagful of disks that server specific purposes and it is really shaving strokes off my score. I am also putting much more consistently which obviously helps a ton.

GL

Hit metal three times (twice on number 4) today and one of them stuck for my first ace, number 16 at Englewood. So glad to get off the snide!

11. Likes:

BillDoran (09-23-2015)

Aced #15 today at Piqua - 310 ft.

My nephews have started playing so I picked this back up after a few years off. Was pretty cool to hit a long one in front of them.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (11-25-2022),texasdave (11-27-2022)

I don't know why, but I picture it only being played by guys with parted hair, horn-rimmed glasses, a golf cart with glasses of wine in the cupholders, and arguing over algorithms.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I don't know why, but I picture it only being played by guys with parted hair, horn-rimmed glasses, a golf cart with glasses of wine in the cupholders, and arguing over algorithms.
    From my experience it's more Deadheads than engineers.. or a combo of both

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    From my experience it's more Deadheads than engineers.. or a combo of both
    I picture phish shirts, sandals, and pockets full of hackey sacks.

17. Likes:

westofyou (11-27-2022)

It's not something I would pay for but I have played a bit, usually around some of the larger parks.

Have a few discs laying around but haven't played in 20 years. I really got into watching it over the last 18 months or so. There's enough money via sponsorship and professional coverage to sustain a tour (men's and women's) and there are events almost every weekend throughout the ~8 month season. There are a handful of small production companies that do coverage -- my favorite being JomezPro. But it's still niche enough that you get a ton of access to the pros, many of 'em have side hustles of self-made content. Good stuff to have on a second monitor while doing some tedious work -- or browsing RedsZone...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?