Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hello from Warsaw, Indiana

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Hello from Warsaw, Indiana

Howdy fans. My name is Rich, but my friends call me Rico. Born and bred in the Warsaw, Indiana area and reside there now. Grew up in the 70's tuning into WLW and listening to the Reds. I have been "lurking" around here for quite awhile reading all the comments and have enjoyed it tremendously. Decided to make the big splash and sign up!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Hello from Warsaw, Indiana

Welcome. A guy who lived next door to me in the dorm in my first two years of college... was one of the stars for the state champion Warsaw basketball team. This was probably 1983 or 1984 when they won the state title. I know that the HS basketball title is huge in Indiana. I cannot remember his last name, but I am pretty sure his name was Marty. He was on a full ride to Ohio University for hoops. I can remember him telling us about beating the #1 team in the state that year, which was led by Delray Brooks, in a close game. I believe Brooks went to IU and then transferred away from Coach Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Welcome. A guy who lived next door to me in the dorm in my first two years of college... was one of the stars for the state champion Warsaw basketball team. This was probably 1983 or 1984 when they won the state title. I know that the HS basketball title is huge in Indiana. I cannot remember his last name, but I am pretty sure his name was Marty. He was on a full ride to Ohio University for hoops. I can remember him telling us about beating the #1 team in the state that year, which was led by Delray Brooks, in a close game. I believe Brooks went to IU and then transferred away from Coach Knight.
    Small world sometimes. That would have been Marty Lehman. They won the title in 1984 and Marty was the starting center. Another player on that state championship team is known by all. That would be "Rade" from the movie "Hoosiers".

Wasn't Jeff Grosse (sp?) on that team?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Wasn't Jeff Grosse (sp?) on that team?
    Yes......Jeff Grose. He was Mr. Basketball the following year.

Warsaw, Indiana- home of Illinois State freshman point guard Nic Moore, who was runner-up for Indiana H.S. Mr. Basketball last season. ISU is my alma mater and I really enjoyed watching Nic play this season and look forward to him eventually leading Illinois State to the NCAA Tournament. Did you get to watch any of his H.S. games?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in IL View Post
    Warsaw, Indiana- home of Illinois State freshman point guard Nic Moore, who was runner-up for Indiana H.S. Mr. Basketball last season. ISU is my alma mater and I really enjoyed watching Nic play this season and look forward to him eventually leading Illinois State to the NCAA Tournament. Did you get to watch any of his H.S. games?
    Yes, I did. Tremendous player. Illinois State got a good one. A lot of fans here were really miffed that none of the "big boys" offered him a scholarship. Oh well, their loss is the Redbird's gain. I, too, look forward to seeing him leading ISU to the NCAA Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Howdy fans. My name is Rich, but my friends call me Rico. Born and bred in the Warsaw, Indiana area and reside there now. Grew up in the 70's tuning into WLW and listening to the Reds. I have been "lurking" around here for quite awhile reading all the comments and have enjoyed it tremendously. Decided to make the big splash and sign up!
    Wow it is a small world! I went to Grace College and met my wife there! We got married at Westminster Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseReds View Post
    Wow it is a small world! I went to Grace College and met my wife there! We got married at Westminster Hotel.
    LOL......Go Lancers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?