Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Dude, I just recited the first 4 lines from the Bourgeois Tagg song from memory....

"Like a Stone" always a favorite from Audioslave. Chris Cornell one of the great voices, his stuff is underrated.
    Even though the Bourgeois Tagg track seemed to be an immensely popular track with crossover appeal at the time, I'm glad to see that someone else found it memorable. It had been going around in my head for quite awhile now and I finally worked it in with a post. It really sounded like nothing else on radio at the time with memorable lyrics as you mentioned. The lines "Misery loves company but she will never fit the bill" and "Seven years ago I said goodbye to my own sanity" were particularly memorable to me. Great song.

As for Chris Cornell, what can you say? As with his Soundgarden Material, along with his solo work (scarce as it is), I love all of it. "I Am The Highway" is the Audioslave track that resonated the most to me if I have to pick one.

Looking ahead, considering that we've lost so many artists/vocalist within the last few years, such artists will be the focus of my Lost AOR radio tracks entries, with Scott Weiland (not necessarily with STP as I haven't decided upon the track yet) and Prince on the docket for my entry two weeks from now.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn't originally plan to post an entire entry featuring artists/vocalists no longer with us, but this is kinda how it turned out. Without further adieu........

Prince - I Wanna Be Your Lover (1979)
    Album - Prince

While many incorrectly recall "Little Red Corvette" as the late Prince's first major Pop/Rock hit, they are mistaken, as this (likely) long-forgotten crossover hit (albeit in a truncated version for Pop radio) paved the way for this truly talented artist's Rock And Roll Hall of Fame career. (It's amazing just how many instruments he could play, for one thing.)

America - Sandman (1972)
    Album - America

A forgotten AOR radio classic from a supremely talented band, which featured multiple writers and vocalists. It just so happens that my three favorite America tunes each feature a different lead vocalist: Dewey Bunnell (who, among others, sang lead on "Tin Man" and "Ventura Highway") on this track, Gerry Beckley on the classic, "Sister Golden Hair." And, lastly, the late Dan Peek on "Lonely People." Bunnell, to his credit, has done a wonderful job in concert of singing lead on the tracks in which Peek originally sang lead.

Most, if not all, of the band's Pop hits also made their way onto AOR playlists, along with several other Album tracks, including this one. Another Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (so far) snub? I'd say so.

Velvet Revolver - Set Me Free (2003)
    Album - Soundtrack: Hulk

The late Scott Weiland - who would be my age (50) were he alive today - fronted (as we all know) Stone Temple Pilots, The short-lived Magnificent Bastards and, of course, this band. This track, in fact, was the first Velvet Revolver AOR radio track/hit, predating the band's Contraband album - which featured "Slither' and "Fall To Pieces" - by almost one full year.

And, what the heck....because I can, a Stone Temple Pilots track that doesn't yet fit the "lost track" definition - I couldn't think of a lost STP Rock radio track. But, compared with "Plush" and about six or seven others, this track seems to be trending in that direction. This track also showcased the versatility of Weiland and company.

Stone Temple Pilots - Sour Girl (2000)
    Album - No. 4

Until next time....Adieu from R4Blue.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I was always fascinated by Scott’s solo debut album “12 Bar Blues.”

A Bowie/Beatles vibe...not a great album but I wanted him to pursue that path a bit more. An original sound as far as the 90’s went.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I was always fascinated by Scott’s solo debut album “12 Bar Blues.”

A Bowie/Beatles vibe...not a great album but I wanted him to pursue that path a bit more. An original sound as far as the 90’s went.
    Actually, I initially thought about posting "Lady, Your Roof Brings Me Down" from the very album that you referenced. IIRC, that track appeared on a movie soundtrack; can't recall the particular movie, though. I remember hearing that track and "Barbarella" very, very briefly on Rock radio. Than again, I suspected that few would remember them. That was also before the AAA radio format had really taken off Nationwide - not that radio airplay should in any way, shape, or form influence one's opinion on an album or an artist, for that matter.

Anyway, thanks for the comment...I've only - in addition to the aforementioned tracks - heard parts of the album; but certainly enough that I, too, would have liked to see Weiland further explore the "12 Bar Blues" sound.

6. Likes:

kaldaniels (06-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I didn't originally plan to post an entire entry featuring artists/vocalists no longer with us, but this is kinda how it turned out. Without further adieu........

Prince - I Wanna Be Your Lover (1979)
    Album - Prince

While many incorrectly recall "Little Red Corvette" as the late Prince's first major Pop/Rock hit, they are mistaken, as this (likely) long-forgotten crossover hit (albeit in a truncated version for Pop radio) paved the way for this truly talented artist's Rock And Roll Hall of Fame career. (It's amazing just how many instruments he could play, for one thing.)

America - Sandman (1972)
    Album - America

A forgotten AOR radio classic from a supremely talented band, which featured multiple writers and vocalists. It just so happens that my three favorite America tunes each feature a different lead vocalist: Dewey Bunnell (who, among others, sang lead on "Tin Man" and "Ventura Highway") on this track, Gerry Beckley on the classic, "Sister Golden Hair." And, lastly, the late Dan Peek on "Lonely People." Bunnell, to his credit, has done a wonderful job in concert of singing lead on the tracks in which Peek originally sang lead.

Most, if not all, of the band's Pop hits also made their way onto AOR playlists, along with several other Album tracks, including this one. Another Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (so far) snub? I'd say so.

Velvet Revolver - Set Me Free (2003)
    Album - Soundtrack: Hulk

The late Scott Weiland - who would be my age (50) were he alive today - fronted (as we all know) Stone Temple Pilots, The short-lived Magnificent Bastards and, of course, this band. This track, in fact, was the first Velvet Revolver AOR radio track/hit, predating the band's Contraband album - which featured "Slither' and "Fall To Pieces" - by almost one full year.

And, what the heck....because I can, a Stone Temple Pilots track that doesn't yet fit the "lost track" definition - I couldn't think of a lost STP Rock radio track. But, compared with "Plush" and about six or seven others, this track seems to be trending in that direction. This track also showcased the versatility of Weiland and company.

Stone Temple Pilots - Sour Girl (2000)
    Album - No. 4

Until next time....Adieu from R4Blue.
    My first concert was America at Pine Knob in Detroit 1973, Sandman was my favorite.. Sourgirl is by far my favorite STP song

First couple times I heard “A Horse With No Name”, I thought it was Neil Young.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My first concert was America at Pine Knob in Detroit 1973, Sandman was my favorite..
    And still a concert staple today.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sourgirl is by far my favorite STP song
    Mine too.

And, in my case, that says more about "Sour Girl" itself than it does about the remainder of the STP catalog...Most of which I still love. But the fact that "Sour Girl" sounds so drastically different than their other well-known radio songs, IMO, works in it's favor. For example, "Plush", which I still like a lot, sounds like it easily could have been an Eddie Vedder / Pearl Jam song to me. Anyway, this live version was/is very memorable to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    First couple times I heard “A Horse With No Name”, I thought it was Neil Young.
    That's certainly understandable. But I highly doubt that Neil Young would compose something that corny *dodges rotten tomatoes*

Now, before I get roasted here, I don't dislike the song; just always viewed it as, well, kinda corny compared with their other hits. Then again, I've heard many a music fan view "Tin Man" in that very light. To each his/her own.

To that end, I can recall a comedian (but, of course, can't recall the comedian) poking fun at "A Horse with No Name." His monologue went something like this:

You're traveling across a desert...It's boring...Name the horse!
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 06-25-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Turn Off Ads?