Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm not of the mindset that rock is dead. It's just that there aren't too many quality rock bands out there and its radio formats are clustered. Classic rock has a limited audience as it doesn't appeal to most youngsters.

When good rock bands come along, they typically do very well. Unfortunately, they're rare anymore.
    Rock is not dead...not even close. There is so much good rock music out there now...probably more than at any other time in the history of music. Its just much more do it yourself and independent these days. Rock is no longer mainstream sure...but these artist are out there and making fantastic music. You as a listener however are not going to have them spoonfed to you by mainstream radio (clear channel) at this point in time. You have to actively look for them. And to be honest with you, I prefer it that way. Artist are more accesable, shows at smaller more intimate venues. As a fan it is great not having to deal as much with the masses who only go to a show to get wasted and talk to there bros. Ive actually met and become good friends with members of two bands who are some of my favorites.
    What I would suggest to anyone wanting to find out about new bands is go to your local record store...talk to them about the kind of music you like...they will open your eyes to all kinds of great stuff out there. Go see local bands, listen to a station like KEXP with an open mind and check out their website. There is so much good rock music out there guys, you just cant rely on your local clear channel affiliate to provide it to you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Absolutely agree JW. And I'm not the type that hunts down the local bands either. Without naming bands I can simply say if you are willing to look great music is out there. More so than 10 years ago I'd even say.

Definitely still good rock out there. For me it has been much more labor intensive to find it since WOXY went of the air (Best damn station evah!) 3hive is a pretty great site for sampling new music. Many of the bands I love I found here. All downloads are free and legal for promo purposes.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    Rock is not dead...not even close. There is so much good rock music out there now...probably more than at any other time in the history of music. Its just much more do it yourself and independent these days. Rock is no longer mainstream sure...but these artist are out there and making fantastic music. You as a listener however are not going to have them spoonfed to you by mainstream radio (clear channel) at this point in time. You have to actively look for them. And to be honest with you, I prefer it that way. Artist are more accesable, shows at smaller more intimate venues. As a fan it is great not having to deal as much with the masses who only go to a show to get wasted and talk to there bros. Ive actually met and become good friends with members of two bands who are some of my favorites.
    What I would suggest to anyone wanting to find out about new bands is go to your local record store...talk to them about the kind of music you like...they will open your eyes to all kinds of great stuff out there. Go see local bands, listen to a station like KEXP with an open mind and check out their website. There is so much good rock music out there guys, you just cant rely on your local clear channel affiliate to provide it to you.
    And this, right here, is why rock is dying.

I have a 9-5 job, a fiancé, and a slew of things I'm committed to with friends, family and co-workers. The last thing I want to do is spend time researching new music to listen to. If someone recommends a band to me, I'll check them out. But I'm not going to wander into a record store and treat music like a term paper that needs to be researched.

Radio offered a way to discover new music. If the future of rock and roll is going to depend on people randomly showing up at shows or walking into an independent record mart, they ought to just shut the industry down entirely.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If the future of rock and roll is going to depend on people randomly showing up at shows or walking into an independent record mart, they ought to just shut the industry down entirely.
    My grand father never touched a message board nor did he have the time to learn how to use one. If interacting with other baseball fans means you have to learn how to use a computer box and buy a subscription to the internet wazoo, they should just shut down the MLB.

I have a 9-5 job, a fiancé, and a slew of things I'm committed to with friends, family and co-workers. The last thing I want to do is spend time researching new music to listen to. If someone recommends a band to me, I'll check them out. But I'm not going to wander into a record store and treat music like a term paper that needs to be researched.

Radio offered a way to discover new music. If the future of rock and roll is going to depend on people randomly showing up at shows or walking into an independent record mart, they ought to just shut the industry down entirely.
    Just because you dont want to put in the time or effort doesnt mean something is dead. It sounds like you just happen to be a more casual music fan...one who needs to be spoonfed by the radio. Just like the more casual baseball fan who may need to be spoonfed by ESPN. And there is nothing wrong with that, you will just have to be satisfied with whatever Clear Channel decides they are putting on the radio because that is all you are exposing yourself to. Myself and alot of other people happen to enjoy discovering new music...I have never once thought of it as researching a term paper. I have a group of friends that we turn each other on to bands all the time. Facebook is a great source just by liking your local record store if the owner is into social media, I have learned of a lot of bands I enjoy that way. There are independent radio stations still out there turning people on to quality new music every day. I read message boards with a focus on music just like I do RedsZone for a focus on something else I enjoy, Baseball. If your too busy your too busy. Its not for you...but it is by no means dead.

Another thing...I would suggest Pandora for you. Go on there, type in the bands you like to a station...listen...and dont skip every song that isnt a song you already know. It will throw in some stuff you have never heard and may even introduce you to new bands you might like. That is as easy as it gets.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Rock is dead, they say,
    Long live rock.

The Who, 1972

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-18-2015)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Just because you dont want to put in the time or effort doesnt mean something is dead. It sounds like you just happen to be a more casual music fan...one who needs to be spoonfed by the radio. Just like the more casual baseball fan who may need to be spoonfed by ESPN. And there is nothing wrong with that, you will just have to be satisfied with whatever Clear Channel decides they are putting on the radio because that is all you are exposing yourself to. Myself and alot of other people happen to enjoy discovering new music...I have never once thought of it as researching a term paper. I have a group of friends that we turn each other on to bands all the time. Facebook is a great source just by liking your local record store if the owner is into social media, I have learned of a lot of bands I enjoy that way. There are independent radio stations still out there turning people on to quality new music every day. I read message boards with a focus on music just like I do RedsZone for a focus on something else I enjoy, Baseball. If your too busy your too busy. Its not for you...but it is by no means dead.
    You're missing my point -- if rock music becomes something that the average listener has to actively seek out (as opposed to it being "spoonfed," to use your term), it's going to regress into a completely niche state (like contemporary Jazz, for example).

The entire industry suffers at that point, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

You're missing my point -- if rock music becomes something that the average listener has to actively seek out (as opposed to it being "spoonfed," to use your term), it's going to regress into a completely niche state (like contemporary Jazz, for example).

I personally don't think rock will ever by "niche" so to speak. Rock (loosely defined) as a musical form is inherently more palatable than Jazz (loosely defined). But I do certainly agree that "good" rock (what I being a music snob classify as good) as opposed to the crap that passes for rock most of the time on corporate pay-for-play radio has certainly become niche. Only rarely do we start to see it blink above the surface into mainstream consciousness (think Arcade Fire with The Suburbs or Mumford and Sons) usually through some sort of soundtrack on T.V. or award in the rare instance the Grammy's get it right. In short, I do also lament what has happened, but I'm at least happy that I can still find good music. I try to do my own bit by playing good music before class and then posting the song info to my course facebook page in case they heard something they liked.

One way to think about this: who now could sell out a stadium? who could sell out a stadium and is under 50?

I know "stadium rock" is synomous with "sell out" or corporate or whatever. But it is an indication of the health and popularity of a music genre. And most acts capable of selling out arenas (Stones, U2, Springsteen) do so for good reason. They're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    One way to think about this: who now could sell out a stadium? who could sell out a stadium and is under 50?

I know "stadium rock" is synomous with "sell out" or corporate or whatever. But it is an indication of the health and popularity of a music genre. And most acts capable of selling out arenas (Stones, U2, Springsteen) do so for good reason. They're good.
    Just to be clear...a stadium is much tougher to sell out than an arena. Most arenas are between 10,000 and 20,000 whereas most stadiums are at least 40,000 and go up to 100,000. There aren't too many bands alive anymore that can sell out stadiums.

There are still new-ish rock bands that can or are on the verge of being able to sell out arenas (although that is shrinking as well). Kings of Leon, Muse, Black Keys etc. I think more than anything, it just takes longer to get to the arena level. And as you said, you have to actually be good.

When I was a huge rock fan, I had time to seek out the music. And that was long before the internet and blogs and all that. There was this thing called "word of mouth" and I'd go to record stores and clubs and talk to other people and that was also when Rolling Stone was still cool and a great source of info. I bought albums and invested in a great sound system and music was an integral part of my life.

But then, wife and kids happened, my career took off, my tastes diversified into other forms of music and other art forms, I got a little older, and rock ceased being a central part of my life. I suspect that has happened for the majority of my generation.

There is still good music out there. I listen to what my kids listen to and its interesting and their tastes range far and wide. But I maintain there really hasn't been anything new in the rock world for quite a while now. I listen to the new stuff and, at least to me, its a "what's old is new again" kind of thing. It's not bad, but rock as an art form and a life statement just isn't what it once was. At least to this old fart.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Just to be clear...a stadium is much tougher to sell out than an arena.
    Yeah, it was a mistake to use them interchangeably.

I listen to KEXP everyday online.

Great tip.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?