Turn Off Ads?

Thread: So...what will happen now

So...what will happen now

Well lets applaude Walt for at least "doing" the right thing and keeping Fraizer..but now the question is usage of him? The Reds have said they don't see him much in LF, so that means he basically is Rolen's off day guy, but then where do you get Cairo playing time as you know Dusty is going to get him some PT. The question is can either Cairo or Fraizer or even Rolen play some first, cause at some point you need to get Joey a day off here and there. Also Cairo can play some second, and you have to figure Brandon could use a day off every so often. This is where you really need a qualified field manager to handle such a "problem".

2. Turn Off Ads?
    takealeake

Re: So...what will happen now

He should be splitting time with Rolen at this point, it's only a matter of time before Rolen gets hurt, may as well start the process of replacing him.

why'd you quote "doing" and "problem"?

If I remember correctly, Cairo spelled Joey quite a bit when Joey was on the DL a while back and hit over .300 while he was in.

I can't begin to speculate on what Dusty will do. Ultimately this is his choice now that Walt has made the correct move.

But this is a situation that has happened in the past. Remember 2010 with Ocab struggling, and Janish outperforming him in the field and marginally at the plate? Dusty played the hot hand. Each would get consecutive starts until one cooled off. Injuries to Cabrerra made the situation even simpler. Janish, being younger and more versatile, played 11 games at third and 7 games at second base to get more playing time.

I don't know about Frazier's ability to play other positions in the infield at the major league level. He was brought in as a SS his rookie year in 07. He's also had some experience as a primary second baseman the year after. Since then, he's typically been a corner infielder and LFer. He would certainly have more range than a beat up Brandon Phillips, but it's been a few years since he's really played the position with any regularity.

My hope is that Frazier and Rolen at least split time at 3rd evenly, and if he keeps hitting, can get some starts in LF when Rolen starts. If he can play 2nd base to relieve Brandon and heal that hamstring - icing on the cake, but I'm not counting on it.

EMAW

I would say go and get a lefty bat for the bench or for LF
    Ludwick, Heisey, Frazier might have value

It's a weird spot. We have two backup 3rd basemen on the team. I know Frazier has played some SS, but I assume that's where Valdez will get his spot starts.

Ideally I'd love for him to start getting some pregame work in the outfield. It would be a lot easier to find starts for him there.

Quote Originally Posted by bornready View Post
    why'd you quote "doing" and "problem"?
    Because it took Walt how long to figure out Willie wasn't ML material and did nothing to improve the team over the past month. And having Frazier on the roster causes some problems because you have a veteran player at 3rd whom refuses to see his time as a FT player has passed and will not go quietly to the bench or reduced playing time.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Because it took Walt how long to figure out Willie wasn't ML material and did nothing to improve the team over the past month. And having Frazier on the roster causes some problems because you have a veteran player at 3rd whom refuses to see his time as a FT player has passed and will not go quietly to the bench or reduced playing time.
    I'd be happy as hell if Rolen would retire (now) and Frazier inherited 3B.

I agree that that's extremely unlikely so long as people still believe he's not a statue at 3B.

And of course as long as he's on the team, Baker will continue running him out there until he loses an arm or leg, batting him no lower than 6.

A 0.583 OPS is no problem for Baker at 6.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I'd be happy as hell if Rolen would retire (now) and Frazier inherited 3B.

I agree that that's extremely unlikely so long as people still believe he's not a statue at 3B.

And of course as long as he's on the team, Baker will continue running him out there until he loses an arm or leg, batting him no lower than 6.

A 0.583 OPS is no problem for Baker at 6.
    Lol....it's no problem for Baker at #4

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBaker View Post
    I can't begin to speculate on what Dusty will do. Ultimately this is his choice now that Walt has made the correct move.

But this is a situation that has happened in the past. Remember 2010 with Ocab struggling, and Janish outperforming him in the field and marginally at the plate? Dusty played the hot hand. Each would get consecutive starts until one cooled off. Injuries to Cabrerra made the situation even simpler. Janish, being younger and more versatile, played 11 games at third and 7 games at second base to get more playing time.

I don't know about Frazier's ability to play other positions in the infield at the major league level. He was brought in as a SS his rookie year in 07. He's also had some experience as a primary second baseman the year after. Since then, he's typically been a corner infielder and LFer. He would certainly have more range than a beat up Brandon Phillips, but it's been a few years since he's really played the position with any regularity.

My hope is that Frazier and Rolen at least split time at 3rd evenly, and if he keeps hitting, can get some starts in LF when Rolen starts. If he can play 2nd base to relieve Brandon and heal that hamstring - icing on the cake, but I'm not counting on it.

I bolded the part worth noting....Dusty played the hot hand....why in the hell is he not doing that now? why is the Hot hitting, and gloving frazier not playing 3rd? he is hot and playing well, helping the team so why not let Rolen do what he does and help this team in the clubhouse, he is not helping this team at the plate.....let Frazier try to stay hot and when he starts to cool, give Scott another shot at playing every night.

OK, so your answer is that Scott is a vet and Dusty will not do that to a vet, while I dont agree with that style of managing, I will accept your debate and treat that as the answer.....so then why not let Frazier, with the hot hand, go out and play LF while the 2 cold players in Ludwick and Heisey sit the bench and come in for PH later in the game?

the ingredients are there right now to sustain a winning month and get on a roll and start putting some 3-4-5 game winning streaks on the line, hard to do that when your cold guys are playing and hot guy is sitting.....

I am not saying Todd Frazier needs to start at 3rd or LF all year, I am just saying that while he is hot, let him ride it out.....it can only help this team win some games....and that is what we need to be doing this early in the year, win the games we are suppose to win and pull out a few that we are not.....

I know this appears to be a bash dusty post and maybe it is, but when it is all there sitting right in front of you and you dont make the call, I cant help but think there is something else going on in Dustys brain.

at what point does Scott Rolen go to Dusty and tell him to start playing Frazier over himself? would Rolen even do that? is he that type of player? I would hope he is but Scott didnt get to where he is by backing down so I am sure taking a back seat is not in Scotts mind....and I dont blame him but thats what Dusty is for. make the right moves when making a lineup. geesh

Rolen doesn't make the play that Frazier did in the first a couple games ago.

That would have been by him and who knows if Latos even works his way out of the inning.

If he can still get to it....that is, if it comes to him....Rolen will catch it and get it over to 1B, no problem. But he's more and more a statue at 3B.

And he's clearly sugar in the gas tank when he's in the lineup.

That worried a lot of us after Rolen's awful 2011 season, that Baker would continue to run him out there and bat him 4th or 6th. Just as he idiotically continued to lead-off with Patterson and T-Virus in 2008 and 2009.

I'd be very interested to hear what scouts think of him at this point, but I doubt that any Reds beat guys have the stones to push the issue.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I know this appears to be a bash dusty post and maybe it is, but when it is all there sitting right in front of you and you dont make the call, I cant help but think there is something else going on in Dustys brain.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of this.

Inside Homer Simpson's Head - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by takealeake View Post
    He should be splitting time with Rolen at this point, it's only a matter of time before Rolen gets hurt, may as well start the process of replacing him.
    Very true. Likely a back injury in the near future.

Turn Off Ads?