Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 6/13/2012 Reds vs Native Americans Part II

Re: 6/13/2012 Reds vs Native Americans Part II

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    And this one belongs to the Reds! Great games by Latos and Phillips. Somebody, however, needs to sit down with Chapman and get him to mix up his pitches some. 1 slider in a week...ain't gonna do it.
    Honest question: does anyone really think Chapman would be an instant success if he stepped into the rotation?

Aside from his having to work his arm into throwing for 6 innings, his entrance into the rotation will be a work in progress and I don't think we can afford to trade in our closer for a work in progress starter. I think he's in the pen for all of 2012 for that reason. The only way I see that changing is if we fall out of the race and we know that ain't happenin'

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Honest question: does anyone really think Chapman would be an instant success if he stepped into the rotation?

Aside from his having to work his arm into throwing for 6 innings, his entrance into the rotation will be a work in progress and I don't think we can afford to trade in our closer for a work in progress starter. I think he's in the pen for all of 2012 for that reason. The only way I see that changing is if we fall out of the race and we know that ain't happenin'
    I certainly don't. But I also think he should be given a legitimate shot at it. I know I'll get laughed at, but I wouldn't be against stretching him back out after Bray & Masset come back and sending him to Louisville. Bring him back up if there's an injury. But I want him starting.

I always thought benching Marshall was a bad idea. A couple of bad luck games and he's no longer a closer? I never got that. But I want Chapman OUT of the closer role as soon as possible. The longer he's there, the higher the odds that he won't EVER leave it.

That depends on your definition of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

No. Until he learns that he has to use off speed stuff to complement his heat, he will never be a starter -- or a successful closer. It's fun to watch him hit 100+, but as we saw tonight, see him enough and MLB hitters will catch up. Lots of learning to do. I'm betting on him.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Now look, I didn't play major league baseball and I don't know what goes through Chapmans head. But I'm starting to wonder if the way people react to his fastball is getting into his head. I love seeing the triple didgets as much as the next guy but I'll tell ya what I like even more- seeing him get people out.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That depends on your definition of success.
    Well don't stop there. What kind of success do you think he'd attain this year as a starter? I'd say not enough to help this ballclub reach the playoffs. At best he'd be a 5 inning pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I certainly don't. But I also think he should be given a legitimate shot at it. I know I'll get laughed at, but I wouldn't be against stretching him back out after Bray & Masset come back and sending him to Louisville. Bring him back up if there's an injury. But I want him starting.

I always thought benching Marshall was a bad idea. A couple of bad luck games and he's no longer a closer? I never got that. But I want Chapman OUT of the closer role as soon as possible. The longer he's there, the higher the odds that he won't EVER leave it.
    So basically you're saying that it's OK with you if we remove him from the team while we're in a pennant race. I understand that it's important to get him into the rotation and all but I don't think it's worth jeopardizing our playoff chances. Those only come around once every ten yrs or so around here

So basically you're saying that it's OK with you if we remove him from the team while we're in a pennant race. I understand that it's important to get him into the rotation and all but I don't think it's worth jeopardizing our playoff chances. Those only come around once every ten yrs or so around here
    If one believes the benefit of having him start outweighs having him close, then yes, you remove him from the team for a few weeks or a month.

Second, I reject the premise that the Reds organization is currently a team that makes the playoffs 1 in 10 years going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If one believes the benefit of having him start outweighs having him close, then yes, you remove him from the team for a few weeks or a month.
    Of course but that's what this debate is all about. I don't think the benefits will outweigh losing a valuable member of our bullpen
    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Second, I reject the premise that the Reds organization is currently a team that makes the playoffs 1 in 10 years going forward.
    I hope you're right and with the added WC spot, you very well may be but I don't think we should take these contending yrs lightly either

Of course but that's what this debate is all about. I don't think the benefits will outweigh losing a valuable member of our bullpen

I hope you're right and with the added WC spot, you very well may be but I don't think we should take these contending yrs lightly either
    I wouldn't move him into the rotation this year, but if one believes he can perform great as a starter in the second half, they shouldn't let the "but we are in a pennant race" angle deter them from converting him mid-season.

Turn Off Ads?