Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/26/12 - Reds vs Cards

Re: 8/26/12 - Reds vs Cards

Wainright with 52 pitches. Homer with 68 but a half inning ahead.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    What does it say about Homer?
    "After 5 pitches, Homer sucks."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Carpenter lines a single to right

Darn the luck!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If you are interested in the BABIP stuff, good article on the Baseball Prosectus site titled "How Does Quality of Contact Relate to BABIP?". (Subscription req.)

This article is about using batting F/X to measure hit speed, and not surprisingly finds that harder hit ground balls are base hits more often than slower hit ones.

So, two pitchers can indeed have similar numbers of balls hit in play, and have quite different results in terms of how hard those balls are hit.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Was hoping Homer could have a clean inning. I'd consider a quality start by Homer today, 6 innings 3 runs, against this offense a successful start.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Cardinals pitching is looking better and better. And that lineup is scary statistically.

I was hoping they wouldn't get a Wild Card spot, but now I"m a little worried.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    If you are interested in the BABIP stuff, good article on the Baseball Prosectus site titled "How Does Quality of Contact Relate to BABIP?". (Subscription req.)

This article is about using batting F/X to measure hit speed, and not surprisingly finds that harder hit ground balls are base hits more often than slower hit ones.

So, two pitchers can indeed have similar numbers of balls hit in play, and have quite different results in terms of how hard those balls are hit.
    I did read that once, and I appreciate you linking it as I wanted to save it anyhow.

But what amuses me is that what they found should have been common sense to begin with. It's the same reason why line drives fall into the field of play for hits more than grounders and why grounders fall more than fly balls. So one should expect better contact is going to equal more hits, even comparing grounders to other grounders.

Nice!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Homer's stuff seems good enough to get guys out on balls. Since the three runs, a number of hitters have swung and missed or made weak contact on pitches out of the zone.

His problem this game is all those pitches down the middle.

Great throw by Hanigan.

Hanigan nails the runner at 2nd.

Wainwright looking pretty good considering he just throws junk up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    FeS2 = iron pyrite
    aka Fool's Gold. For the record, I disagree. I think Homer is Silver or maybe Bronze. He's a solid middle of the rotation pitcher...some days he can shut teams down and other days he gets clobbered, but generally he keeps a good offensive team in the game. He's doing a good job of keeping the ball down today, but everything is finding a hole. I didn't really see any meatballs down the middle except the pitch to Wainright. Meatballs generally leave the park. That's my

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I did read that once, and I appreciate you linking it as I wanted to save it anyhow.

But what amuses me is that what they found should have been common sense to begin with. It's the same reason why line drives fall into the field of play for hits more than grounders and why grounders fall more than fly balls. So one should expect better contact is going to equal more hits, even comparing grounders to other grounders.
    I agree that it largely confirms common sense. But that is important to note this fact (that speed of batted balls is really important) when we start to over-emphasize how 'lucky' the other team is in having those grounders get through the infield. It isn't 'luck' when they are hit really hard.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Ludwick flies out to the wall in left.

Turn Off Ads?